1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Turbo Shopin'

Posted by The Sorrow, Dec 12, 2010

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. The Sorrow

The Sorrow Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm looking to upgrade my 14B 1st gen turbo to the famous BIG 16-G. I hear a lot about other turbos that are better like T-20s and so on. What would you suggest? Give me a little background on why if you make a suggestion too please. I like to be educated when i make decisions for upgrades.

189  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. ajpm26

ajpm26 Proven Member

Joined Jun 22, 2010
    Niles, Illinois
    t20's?
    Hrmm, maybe research a bit more...
    What are you looking for? Spool time, hp goals, etc....

Do you have the supporting mods for an upgraded turbo?

3. gsxkid81

gsxkid81 Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2005
    warsaw, Virginia
    if you are staying with a stock appering turbo i am going to suggest the mhi evo3.and if you are willing to spend a lil more money the fp hta68 is a nasty lil turbo

4. GsXdSmKingGsX

GsXdSmKingGsX Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    I think he may have meant T-28.

Just dont be one of those turds that straps a 20g on his stock system.

5. The Sorrow

The Sorrow Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I'm new to the details in turbo systems. Big 16G keeps popping up so i wanted to know if that's where i should go and why. If not what else should I do and why? That's my current stand. And my 2G Eclipse has the ported 1G stock 14B turbo. My basic goals are more "get up" as some would say, so I'm thinking that translates to horse power.

189  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. King_Milo

King_Milo Proven Member

Joined Nov 29, 2006
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    One turbo that's caught my eye here lately is the FP 3052. I gotta research it a bit more, but so far it seems like a very nice turbo.

239  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. jwahl16

jwahl16 Proven Member

Joined Oct 26, 2009
    Havertown, Pennsylvania
    well looking at your mods. You need injectors and some form of tuning before you even look at upgrading your turbo. You should definitely max out your current 14b before you upgrade imo. Also, do you even have a boost controller and gauge? If so update your profile.

8. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Well actually more power for you would be upgrading your fuel system and getting a tuning device (DSMlink or SAFC) because I know people running 20 psi on ported 14b's. You need more fuel to mix with the added air to feel more power. If you done gave gigantic power goals a 14b is good because it has almost no lag at all.

9. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    He brings up a good question though. I myself have wondered the same question. Supporting mods on my list that I have are safc2, aem wideband, 680 injectors, hks evc 5 for boost control, prosport boost oil temp and pressure and water temp. Also have two different afpr that I'm trying to decide which one to use a tomei and a sard. My goals are far more adventuresome than a little get up. I'm looking to eventually be playing in the low 9's. Yes I already know I need link and bigger injectors but what Turbo would be good for now and then be capable of 9's?

488  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. The Sorrow

The Sorrow Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Tripp is heading where i am. I get i need the DSMLink and injectors etc. Im mainly digging on turbo info for future use. DSMLink is my next investment im just wondering why this or why not that.

189  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Well assuming you both run the supporting mods and you want to run 9's you would be looking at Borg Warner's, HX-40 or 35's, and 20g's.

12. dsmusmc

dsmusmc Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    Alliance, Ohio
    Once you max out your 14B and get injectors, pump, exhaust, and something to tune with check out a Borg Warner s256. It spools like a 16G and out powers a GT30.

13. MY1GDSM

MY1GDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 26, 2007
    On the beach, Washington
    I'd say This would be your best bang for the buck... .Easy to install probaly the least to buy, plus you could just run lower boost till you have the fuel system and have room to grow...

951  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  14. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I totally agree with MY1GDSM- an Evo III 16G is more than enough turbo for 95% of street-driven DSM's given the amount of airflow it generates, the direct-fit capability, and reliability for the price you pay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  15. TSIMonsteR

TSIMonsteR Proven Member

Joined Nov 23, 2003
    HP, North Carolina
    agreed on the e316g. Best general use turbo for DSMs

1K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    324 whp · 256 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  16. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Gonna need a bit more than link and bigger injectors for low 9's.;) Don't kid yourself, nines ain't no walk in the park. No disrespect, but asking what turbo you should run for nines tells me your a long way from actually running 9's.

To the O.P. The e316g is the way to go IMHO.:thumb:

2K  18

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.149 @ 115.940 · 1G DSM
  17. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    EVO 16g, i absolutely love mine, especially now i have the supporting mods.

6K  4

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  18. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree with you that I'm a long way from running 9's I still am waiting to send out my extra head and Bock to be built. I was just wondering what Turbo would be an all around Turbo for being able to run low 9's yet still be good on the street. Call me crazy but my goal for my spyder has always been to have it break into the 9's and still drive it on the street. Hey crazy yes. Obtainable probably not. Especially after seeing one of our fellow dsmtuners run 10's and have his car in modified magazine. Its what you would call a work in progress.

488  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. THE_ARTIST_

THE_ARTIST_ Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2004
    Mountain Home, Idaho
    I would go with the E3 too. I have one on my GS-T and its a really fun turbo, I was surprised at how "powerful" it was.

987  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    14.631 @ 95.187 · 2G DSM
  20. Mph

Mph Proven Member

Joined Jan 7, 2010
    Naperville, Illinois
    I would look into the HTA turbo's that Forced Performance offers. They are a fantastic turbo, great for the strip, while still having that quick spool for the street use.

21. -TunedDSM-

-TunedDSM- Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2006
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Agreed on the Evo III 16g for the OP. I loved it on my 95 GSX, quick spool and adequate power made it perfect for the street.

It will give you that extra amount of power you're looking for a reasonable price. You can just run stock boost until you get supporting fuel and tuning mods. Not to mention it will be a direct replacement for your 14b.

446  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. GsXdSmKingGsX

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Now the only reason I said the big ones, was because he was talking about wanting to run 9's.

23. dexterholland04

dexterholland04 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2007
    Rush, New York
    Like the others said, upgrade your fuel system and you said you were going for DSMLink (good choice!). I personally like the 20g, it's a nice turbo IMO. An Evo III 16g is also a really good choice, it's a MEAN street turbo.

4K  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.1 @ 149.02 · 2G DSM
  24. 69_luv

69_luv Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2003
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could try to be the first guy to break into the 9's with an e316g :hellyeah:

20g, e316g, and HX35 have all got into the 10's, all are killer street turbo's, even the 14b is down into the 11's??? Just remember that your not going to make it into the 9's on pump gas, and I can't imagine a very good DD.

581  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM
  25. MY1GDSM

MY1GDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 26, 2007
    On the beach, Washington
    Depends what your definition of pump gas is:D

951  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM