The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byebyev8

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2004
kenosha, Wisconsin
I have a turbochargers.com evo3 16g and I wanna know if i can use the same rebuild kit as a mhi16g?

The seal went bad and it blows a ton of smoke but the turbo still spools normal. So would that mean its ok to rebuild it does have a considerable amount of shaft play but I don't think it hits the housing. The compressor wheel isn't damaged at all but the inducer is a little bit but I've herd all tc.com evo3 16g's have that.

If it would be a waste of money to rebuild I'd rather just get another turbo.

Also if the inducer wheel is damaged could i just replace the wheel with like a 20g wheel also the compressor wheel too without getting any machine work.

The GT Concepts Evo III uses a complete MHI parts kit.

The eBay no-name 16G's are the ones that use an array of different internals that aren't available in any one rebuild kit. These turbos are easily identified by the word "Turbocharger" being visible somewhere on the compressor cover.

Also if the inducer wheel is damaged could i just replace the wheel with like a 20g wheel also the compressor wheel too without getting any machine work.
Nope.

If the turbo still spools normal and doesn't hit the housing then it would be ok to rebuild right?

If the turbo still spools normal and doesn't hit the housing then it would be ok to rebuild right?

I would just PM jusmx141 considering he rebuilds turbos. He is a monster at doing this & eventually once I get my car running right, jusmx141 will be building a 16g for me :hellyeah:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back