The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Turbo Options/opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstarperformance01

Proven Member
Mar 5, 2016
Mustang, Oklahoma
I’m trying to weigh my options on what to do about my gt35r that’s just started leaking. I’ve driven the car 3 times in the 4 months I’ve owned it and that was 3 1/2 moths ago.

I would love to upgrade to a 76mm or so but that’s going to require a different ecu set up on top of the cost of the turbo and retune as the car is currently running aem v1.

What are my options without a retune
DBB rebuild/new CHRA?
Journal bearing CHRA?
Similar sized turbo?
@JusMX141 do you have any input?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Can't rebuild ball bearing GT turbos, only replace the CHRA...Garrett doesn't sell parts for them. So you can either get a new CHRA from Garrett (anything using the 68/62mm GT35R turbine) or replace the entire turbo. Another less-expensive option would be a replacement CHRA or supercore from Pulsar but now you're putting trust into the hands of China.

There are no journal bearing CHRAs/Supercores offered which would be a direct-fit into your existing turbine housing...at least not from a quality vendor.

Can't rebuild ball bearing GT turbos, only replace the CHRA...Garrett doesn't sell parts for them. So you can either get a new CHRA from Garrett (anything using the 68/62mm GT35R turbine) or replace the entire turbo. Another less-expensive option would be a replacement CHRA or supercore from Pulsar but now you're putting trust into the hands of China.

There are no journal bearing CHRAs/Supercores offered which would be a direct-fit into your existing turbine housing...at least not from a quality vendor.
Not what I wanted to hear( I’m F’d) but as always I appreciate your knowledge/expertise and straight up honest answer.

Make sure it's being fed correctly and has ample drainage. These turbos need very little oil pressure / volume to survive...a head feed with a .035" restrictor in the line is adequate. Steer clear of 10AN drains if you can avoid them, although technically due to the small amount of oil they pass a 10AN should realistically work.

The inability to be serviced affordably using OEM parts is definitely a downside of a ball bearing GT turbo. Parts do exist, but 100% of them hail from China and will basically give your turbo the reliability of an eBay special once rebuilt and properly-balanced.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back