The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Turbo oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RentonRager

Probationary Member
Aug 19, 2019
Renton, Washington
So I got into a little bit of an accident a while ago and now I'm kinda confused I've repaired and replaced all body parts I needed. I've replaced the radiator and all the hoses so I know it's not spraying on the motor anymore but I keep smelling and seeing it leak oil.
Originally when I bought the car it didn't leak oil at all but there was some blowout through the exhaust which is common (I was told). The motor only has about 10k on the rebuild and the turbo is only about 5k.
There's a ding on the oil return line but I just don't see this much oil spraying from bad seals or a crack on the return line.
Its leaking all over the exhaust as well
I'm posting pictures of the underside with it. Topside is dry
This is my first dsm but not my first high performance problem any help would be nice. I'm going to order a oil return line and gaskets but if you think it's turbo seals lmk

Attachments

• 20190819_161535.jpg
    20190819_161535.jpg
    958.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 20190819_161541.jpg
    20190819_161541.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 191
  • 20190819_161714.jpg
    20190819_161714.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190819_161547.jpg
    20190819_161547.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20190819_161620.jpg
    20190819_161620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
So I got into a little bit of an accident a while ago and now I'm kinda confused I've repaired and replaced all body parts I needed. I've replaced the radiator and all the hoses so I know it's not spraying on the motor anymore but I keep smelling and seeing it leak oil.
Originally when I bought the car it didn't leak oil at all but there was some blowout through the exhaust which is common (I was told). The motor only has about 10k on the rebuild and the turbo is only about 5k.
There's a ding on the oil return line but I just don't see this much oil spraying from bad seals or a crack on the return line.
Its leaking all over the exhaust as well
I'm posting pictures of the underside with it. Topside is dry
This is my first dsm but not my first high performance problem any help would be nice. I'm going to order a oil return line and gaskets but if you think it's turbo seals lmk

You should definitely check that turbo for shaft play to see if it's going bad. If your running a bit rich and got some fumes coming out the exhaust under a pull that's one thing but you shouldn't be blowing oil out. The return line is definitely looking like a potential leak and it can run down in other areas so just keep at them till you find them all. Fp (what I use) and rtm sell some nice return lines for the dsm platform!

I'll check for play in the morning. to answer the smoke it only happens on a pull, never at idle. Some hydro carbons come out on start up but only if you hold white paper up to the exhaust and leave it there a while will you get carbon marks.

Sounds like bad seals to me. Check for play and inspect the turbo, I bet you'll find play and/or oil all over the inside of the housings coming from the chra.

What's you're pcv setup like?

I second the turbo seals if it smoking during a pull. Is your PCV setup correctly?

Also be careful with the RTV on the drain fittings. It looks like a lot of RTV was used and you want to be careful that it does not start to block the drain. Journal bearing turbos push a lot of volume in to the CHRA so that oil needs to go somewhere. All that is needed is a thin layer on the gasket, clean/dry surfaces, assemble to about 70% tightness, let dry and then torque all the way down.

The pcv is still set up without being ported for crank case pressure but goes through a shitty catch can. which is why I get some oil going to the exhaust.

Attachments

• 20190820_101448.jpg
    20190820_101448.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
I second the turbo seals if it smoking during a pull. Is your PCV setup correctly?

Also be careful with the RTV on the drain fittings. It looks like a lot of RTV was used and you want to be careful that it does not start to block the drain. Journal bearing turbos push a lot of volume in to the CHRA so that oil needs to go somewhere. All that is needed is a thin layer on the gasket, clean/dry surfaces, assemble to about 70% tightness, let dry and then torque all the way down.
Thanks for the help my buddy installed that before I got it so I was wondering how to install once I got the parts.
What do you suggest doing to the pcv system? Getting the port without the ball and adding a check valve between the oil catch? Or what

Get a can that actually separates the air and oil, that can appears to be the open style can which does next to nothing. It also looks like there is no check valve between the intake manifold and catch can which means you are pressurizing the can. If the PCV is leaking (which I bet it is) you are pressuring the crank case and no wonder you’re pushing oil passed the seals.

Here is the can I run between my PCV and intake manifold, ordered it off Amazon but same can:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/8...JzFRRP0Fss8oWI-v4X43rP3nDLHnwk9xoCln8QAvD_BwE

I added a little scotch bright pad in the filter area to help pull the oil out of the air but likely wasn’t needed. Use this between the intake and can:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/i...rRdDWL9t3m9k1RPo7hDTeKu75My4oraRoCMRQQAvD_BwE

I would get that PCV situation fixed and redo that oil drain, start there and we can assess after. If you’re really feeling spunky, get a catch can for that valve cover breather too!

Update* checked turbo and no play with no oil, so the smoke is coming from the pcv dumping into the exhaust.

The PCV doesn’t dump in to the exhaust, you’re either pushing oil in to your intake manifold or pressurizing the crank case which pushed oil passed the seals and in to the exhaust housing. Read above reply for my suggestion.

Here's the turbo

Just looking in the inlet isn't going to do jack for you. It's good that it doesn't have play, but you need to remove at least the O2 housing and see if there's a crap load of oil in there, which I bet there is.

Also, any oil being pushed bast the compressor side seal wouldn't be visible from the inlet, since everything is pulled in past that point. If you took the compressor housing off, I bet you'll find oil there too.

As @Boomdeeze said, you're most likely pressurizing the crankcase, causing oil to push past the seals.

Take the j-pipe and/or O2 housing off and look for oil, and dont be surprised when you find it. Then get a proper catch can setup with check valves and report back.

Update: got a new return line on it and a different catch can so far no leaks but I still have oil underneath my front mount piping... No clue where it could be coming from.

Attachments

• 20190831_194322.jpg
    20190831_194322.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190831_194016.jpg
    20190831_194016.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190831_193926.jpg
    20190831_193926.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190831_194013.jpg
    20190831_194013.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 50
What's that big oil drop on the turbine housing v-band. This makes me think your turbo is leaking oil at the turbine wheel. Pull the turbo or at minimum the o2 housing & see if the turbine wheel is oil soaked.

Update: got all the leaks stopped and everything was fine, looks as though when I ordered the oil filter I put on a 2g filter for 1g block like a idiot and it was dripping. I pulled the turbo and no oil at all so that wasn't the issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back