The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Turbo not spooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardsGST

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
I need your help guys. I just recently found out that my rod bearings are going out of this engine that i bought online and i drove it home from the mech. and the blow off wont go off and it doesn't sound like the turbo is spooling up. vaccum is sitting at 10 on idle. It burning a little oil from what i can see ou the back. I nned help to figure this one out. If anyone know anyone around the des moines, ia i can talk to that would be great if not let me know hat you think Oh ya it si a 1gst gen 6-bolt in a 1995 eclispe gst

Richard

Couple of questions for you first after taking a look at your profile.

1. Do you have an mbc?
2. Are you venting?
3. Do you have an AFPR for the 255?

I suspect the turbo is dead and this is what I would do to verify that.

1. Make sure the actuator arm is still connected.

2. Disconnect the vacuum hose to the actuator and test run. If problem persists, check the turbo for seizing, shaft play and licp for oil. If problem solved, go to 3.

3. Connect the pressure source directly to the actuator and test run. If problem persists, you have an actuator that opens prematurely. If problem solved, the mbc is in question.

4. Most importantly, perform a boost leak test and compression test to determine what's causing the -10 HG at idle. You should do these tests regardless the results of 1, 2 and 3.

Post back results and we'll go from there. Good luck.

I dotn know what a mbc is? a boost controller? anyways i have a am not venting. i did check the boost leak test and i dont have any leaks. Questions 2 and 3 i dotn know what do do there. Question 1 the actuator arm is still hooked up

RichardsGST said:
I dotn know what a mbc is? a boost controller? anyways i have a am not venting. i did check the boost leak test and i dont have any leaks. Questions 2 and 3 i dotn know what do do there. Question 1 the actuator arm is still hooked up

mbc= manual boost controller. What brand and what type is it? Describe how the to and from hoses are connected to it.

afpr= adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You need this because the 255 pump will over run your stock regulator and make you run rich pretty much whenever you're not boosting over 5psi.

When you said "you check the boost leak test", does it man this http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html or just a visual inspection? Make sure you do the leak test, it's the number cause of the problem you're describing.

I see that you're still pretty new to all this, I want you do study up on this diagram and familiarize yourself with the relations between mbc and actuator and answer the questions above. We'll go deeper into step 2 and 3 after that. http://www.taboospeedshop.com/emissions.htm

i have a gready profec B. I dotn have alot of those things. emissons canister is gone. I have sensors not hooked up everywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back