The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

turbo noise???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspreitzer1

Probationary Member
Oct 7, 2012
Buckeye, Arizona
i have a 97 gst that i got not too long ago. im new to boosted cars so if i sound dumb, forgive me. when im driving from idle to about 3500 rpms it sounds like the turbo fins are scraping or something weird. an example would be it sounds like radiator fans scraping something but metal not plastic. it didnt sound like this when i first got it. any info would be greatly appreciated.

yeah i thought it was just the turbo spooling at first but it sound like the fins might be rubbing or something? could it be shaft play? it doesnt sound like the video. its only at lower rpms. when i get going the turbo spool sounds normal.

Turbos scrape on what we call the compressor housing which is made from cast aluminum, thats just what they do. Because turbos are precision cut they are designed to be tight fit for that compressor housing and will rub because of how little clearance there is.
Unless it was a performance issue where you hear a surging sound after you let your foot off the gas during high boost, I'd say that it would sound normal to me.

Hi everyone, sorry to revive that old thread but i think i have a similar issue.
Every day when i start the car and drive it till it reach the proper temp it make a whistling noise at about 4500rpm.
And after it reach the proper temp it goes away and no noise anymore. If i turn off the car for about 10min and start it again it do the same noise again.
I dont know what could be the problem, can it be the turbo or steeringpump/alternator bearing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back