The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

turbo manual cams in a nt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm93dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2003
KentuckyUS
i was told this is a good upgrade, to spend a few bucks and get turbo manual cams for my nt. i was also wondering if the turbo and nt engine are the same just a few performance parts (cams for ex) and the turbo but i was told if the heads or valves on a turbo were different than the cams probably wouldn't do what id expect in my nt. anyone have any thoughts?

also... would i need the turbo cam gears or any sensors or anything?

no dude, not that i know of, i got some turbo cams for my n/t cuz it is true from what i ahve heard they are a good upgrade. and i was gonna do the install myself, well me and a friend got half way though it and the only thing that stopped us was the bolt on the cam gear wouldn't come off so i had to put everything back on. it sucked. buy i still plan on getting them in some day.

does anyone know of what i can do to my engine to make it faster im talking about internal work i hae a 420a engine?????????

were you wanting your own thread?, LOL, back to the cam subject... anyone?

:talon: I own a 93 talon n/t and as far as the cam gears, they are the same. One big reason that supports this is the fact that all timing kits(timing belt's, pulley, tensioner) for turbo/non-turbo dohc's are the same. Therefore, the cam gear teeth would have to be the same in order to use
the exact same belt. Hence, leave the cam gears on the cams.

In theory, a turbo cam(mainly intake) should have a longer duration to allow more air to flow in the engine with the higher flow of fuel.

I haven't tried this, yet. I purchased a '92 set of supposedly turbo cams
on dsmtrader. I'm trying to find a source that can check the the codes on the cams and make sure they are from a turbo manual. Don't want to waste my time for nothing.....

If the cam lobes only have8-12 degrees longer rotation it would be practically impossible to see with the naked eye. However, would
provide ample benefit to the power factor of the engine.
:thumb:

yup yup yup, this is a good mod for our n/t turbos for the money spent on the cams, i got mine for 45.00, i'm still waiting to do the install cuz those dam bolts on teh cam gears on are like a motha.

Hey guys, I've got a fairly fast 90 Talon TSi AWD car that's my drag car... but i've also got a 94 Eclipse GS that I play on making my "play toy". I've got a list of crap I'm going to be doing shortly.. but mainly turbo cams will help with the longer durations... also, if you advance the Intake cam ONE tooth you will notice some good gains. Also.. when using the turbo cams with the longer duration.. try using the 450cc injectors instead of the 390cc. You have the fuel for the amount of air you pull in. The N/T have an EGR valve too, so you can block that off to allow cooler air to pass in.

I will give you guys an update on my progress as it all happends... right now the car is setting with a few bent valves :)... timing belt....'

_Andrew

late 91-94 5 speed are the most aggressive.
i want to do this mod too...along with removing my balance shaft.
do they pull in that much more air to need biger injectors? if so wouldn't the ecu hvae problems compensating?...or is it just a good match(like a 2g maf and 550's on a 1g turbo)?

hey, i finally got my turbo cams into my n/t... YESSS, it does make a diffrence in high end around 3500 rpms u can really notice them, they make it sound alot deeper cuz they let more air in. it also vibrates my car a little more which was kinda weird but i don't really mind so....... there cool. if ya got any question just ask me...

450's? That will horribly ruin your performance. Stick with the stock 240's.

Hey sedej.... Watch out! In 1993, the specs on the 4G63 changed! So, I'm not sure if the cams will "drop-in" to the bearings. If you want to be safe, just get a set of 1993 turbo cams instead of the 92's.

lenz said:
yup yup yup, this is a good mod for our n/t turbos for the money spent on the cams, i got mine for 45.00, i'm still waiting to do the install cuz those dam bolts on teh cam gears on are like a motha.
just put a adjustable wrench on the hex fitting on the cams and a breaker bar with socket on cam bolts in some cases you may have to back the adjustable wrech with a pipe for leverage dont worry nothing will break im doing the install myself

"holy thread revival batman!"
I realize im reviving an 8 year dead thread but there is a lot of incorrect info in this and its bothering me mainly because this topic pertains to my build.

It appears to me that according to the brian crower website( BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Mitsubishi // 4G63 ), non turbo cams would actually provide better performance when compared to the turbo cams.

Hey guys, I've got a fairly fast 90 Talon TSi AWD car that's my drag car... but i've also got a 94 Eclipse GS that I play on making my "play toy". I've got a list of crap I'm going to be doing shortly.. but mainly turbo cams will help with the longer durations...

In theory, a turbo cam(mainly intake) should have a longer duration to allow more air to flow in the engine with the higher flow of fuel.

One of the problems may have been that this is/was located in the 420a section and hes asking a question regarding a 93 eclipse gs...

BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Mitsubishi // 4G63

Based off of the data they have provided, it states that the intake of the non turbo cam has a 4% increase in advance/duration and a 4.6% increase of lift when compared to the turbo camshaft... SO after taking this in... the turbo guys would actually benefit from grabbing some non turbo cams instead of the opposite..... the opposite being what was suggested here..... correct?

Please correct me if im wrong or have completely missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats consistent with findings and testing on other forums for the 420a. I run Stage 2 Non turbo grinds.

IIRC, some one dynoed and swamped cams, rinse repeat, and came to the same conclusion.

Thats consistent with findings and testing on other forums for the 420a. I run Stage 2 Non turbo grinds.

IIRC, some one dynoed and swamped cams, rinse repeat, and came to the same conclusion.

Alright... i just wanted to be safe... I was a little confused because the OP has/had a 1g and multiple people responded with results regarding other 1g's so i just assumed this was in the wrong section. :thumb:

Although overall it would be positive, but arn't NAs benefit over MORE overlap, where a turbo cam would have less overlap because that's where they benefit from?

Based on what I can tell from the service manual the 1G 2.0L cams differ as follows: (specifications pages, timing is in one place, lobe height in another)
Intake NT opens 26 BTDC close 46 ABDC lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)
Intake MT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)
Intake AT opens 21 BTDC close 51 ABDC lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)
Exhaust NT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)
Exhaust AT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.200 (34.700 limit)
Exhaust MT opens 55 BBDC close ATDC 9 lobe height 35.493 (34.993 limit)
From this I come up with the NT intake cam being 252 duration, the turbo intake at 257 and a duration of 244 for the exhaust. NT has 35 degrees overlap (26BTDC + 9ATDC) and turbos have 30 (21+9). These are seat timings. From the point where the valve first starts to move.
Is my math correct?
Steve
Given this knowledge would IT be worthwhile to get a set of adjustable cam gears and add them and a MT Intake cam To my NT Engine? If I retard the Intake 5* how much of a benefit would the added duration be? At this point the overlap would be the same correct?

Head work would do wonders way over what the turbo cams would do. You would actually feel like you have cams in your car if descent porting and polishing are done vs buying cams. Remember all of the power is in the head.

I did this because I had the parts sitting around. The engine was easy to degree because it was on a stand and I had to do the timing belt anyway. The lobes were slightly taller on the turbo cam. Now I have a longer duration intake cam with the same overlap. It is what it is. Maybe its better maybe its not. I put the engine in and parked the car at my friends house. Been using a Subaru all winter may put it in to service this summer if I can get the ac to work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back