The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G turbo issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Davis

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2019
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Hello,

So I sent my FP red back to FP for now the second time because I’ve had issues with it since I bought it, was hoping they would rebuild it because I don’t think it is completely my fault for these issues. When I took the turbo off I noticed the IWG seemed to be open. So I emailed them and asked if they would check it out. They have since sent me a quote for a full rebuild saying the thrust bearing is in bad shape, the compressor wheel is rubbing, and the turbine shaft has blued from heat. My question is would those things not be caused by the turbo overworking itself from the wastegate being open all the time? Wouldn’t the turbo just be overworking itself to reach the MBC boost target? When I got the turbo back the second time I’ve put maybe a couple hundred miles on the car, but they are blaming my problems on low oil pressure, which i just find hard to believe, it’s a brand new build that has been driving for the past 3000 miles with no signs of any low oil pressure. It has had other turbos on it that don’t seem to have any issues. I’m not trying to trash on FP at all, i like their products I just am confused on why the turbo going through premature wear

Last edited:
Yes - a picture of the setup would answer a lot of questions. Do you monitor oil pressure (logging or aftermarket gauge?)
Did you put an inline filter on the oil supply line? (you don't want one)
I would snap a pic but it’s all taken apart at the moment the turbo is still by FP, my apologies I should’ve clarified that, but yes it is the FP oil feed line off the OFH with no inline filter, and unfortunately no I don’t monitor other than just the crappy stock gauge unless you can somehow set it up on link and I just missed it which would definitely be helpful otherwise I’d for sure be able to prove that isn’t it I’ll have to buy one now I guess just to prove it LOL

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back