The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Engines without turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkrage

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2002
Grantsburg_WI
Does this work? Having a block, pistons , heads... the whole main engine part there... with N/A Exhaust manifold and intake? Would everything connect properly? I heard the turbo engine is stronger than the N/A... am I stupid?

the only real mechanical difference between the two engines in a 1g is the pistons. of course the 7.#@%#@%#@%#@% compression ratio of the 1g turbo's makes for gutless power without the turbo.

oh i see... so using a turbo engine for N/A use would be retarted :D

yeah... it'd be so sluggish with that compression ratio.... and you'd be waaay more prone to crankwalk as well....

the only real mechanical difference between the two engines in a 1g is the pistons. of course the 7.#@%#@%#@%#@% compression ratio of the 1g turbo's makes for gutless power without the turbo.

Don't forget the cams too :)

yeah... it'd be so sluggish with that compression ratio.... and you'd be waaay more prone to crankwalk as well....

I have worked on a lot of 1Gs and I've never seen a crankwalking 1st gen... Anyone? I'm quite sure this is a 2G only problem. Oil quirters, as I recall.

- K

I also heard that the 95 was a engine with less crank walk also. Beats me really, they talk about all these things with the advantages from a 6 bolt and a 7 bolt. The only advantage of having a 1G instead of a 2G is the Japanese Exchange program.

sorry.. my bad.. didn't notice the 1G thing.... still.. compression ratio bog you down a lot.

The idea of using a turbo block to run it as N/A is stupid idea. In order to get any power out of it you would have to change too many things to make it worth the money.

You guys are also saying that the only differnces between a 1G and a 2G are the pistons, well, you are wrong. There are many more differences between a 1G and a 2G. Lets start with this:

Head flows better
Cams are more aggressive
Turbo is bigger
Pistons are lower C/R
Rods are bigger
Crank Bearings
Throttle Body is bigger
TB Elbow is smaller
CBV is metal not plastic
Intercooler is thicker

There are more things than this that are different, but this just a start.
One more thing, I have never in my day seen a 1G crankwalk, NEVER. The 2G's are the one's that CW the most, especially the 95's.

Hope this helps with your dillema.

97 Gs-t with a destroyed turbo, is there any way to get it running good without a new turbo for a while. Maybe throw a different header and intake on it for a while?

I'm sure you could get it to run. However, I do not think it would run right. It would run really really rich, you would have to put in a n/t ecu in it to make it run correctly.

Plus it would be extremely slow!

Bro, Talk to Jusmx141.
Im shure he has a Bolt on turbo sitting on a shelf. That would be far cheaper and simpler to bolt on then trying to convert to a non turbo setup. Everyone here at Tuners that has dealt with him has posted Very positive results.. You wont regret it.

In the meantime, disconnect the actuator rod from the wastegate link and wire the link up so the wastegate remains open.

This allows the turbo to be deactivated and will allow you to run the motor as a normal operating non-turbo motor until you get fundage up to rebuild or replace the turbo-saving you time and money in doing temp mods which is totally unnecessary.

Good luck-DSM

In the meantime, disconnect the actuator rod from the wastegate link and wire the link up so the wastegate remains open.

This allows the turbo to be deactivated and will allow you to run the motor as a normal operating non-turbo motor until you get fundage up to rebuild or replace the turbo-saving you time and money in doing temp mods which is totally unnecessary.

Good luck-DSM

This will work, just don't drive it hard at all because you will outflow your wastegate port and it will fall on its face.

Because it's an old thread from when the "1G N/T Forum" and "420A Forum" were in the same section. I'll move it now...

So how did I tell the difference between a 2.0 n/a and a 2.0 turbo block?
Simply look for a knock sensor?

So how did I tell the difference between a 2.0 n/a and a 2.0 turbo block?
Simply look for a knock sensor?

take the spark plug off turn the crank until you can see the top of the piston head"with flash light" and it should have a BIG "T" on it so it will have 63T if it dosn't have the "T" then its 99.9% that is not a turbo engine(unless is a turbo engine and the put na pistons LOL)

things that change on an NA from the turbo 4g63 is:

1.throttle body
2.oil filter housing
3.piston head
4.camshaft lope
5.no oil squirters

ONLY REAL WAY TO FIND OUT IS to take the oil pan off and check if it has oil squirters because everything else can be swapped from eachother

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back