The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G turbo ecu help spyder 4g64

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
to start off, i've been going through these 2 links alot lately, only to go back and find that I followed each %100 besides actually installing the turbo. from what I have read, you can install the turbo ecu and still drive the car with the turbo ecu, as a n/a engine on 450cc injectors.

http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/turbo-ecu-in-a-spyder-gs.424084/

car starts and stays running, but idle sounds off. TPS and IAC/ISC fully tested impedance and checked the ISC moving when you put the key in and turn it. car runs otherwise when you rewire back for a n/t ecu. getting gas to the rail and you can hear the fuel pump, sounds like its misfiring, but not getting any DTCs from evoscan.

thing is, I have a 99 spyder body and a 95 eeprom ecu, later read that 95-96 ecus had an inverted signal in comparison to the 97-99 cas, for turbo model CAS that is. I still have the factory sohc head in place, with its CAS. not sure if the same applies for the 4g64 CAS but probably so, Ive switched around spark plug wires with no better results. Car drives like crap as if ignition timing off but non-adjustable CAS and timing is checking out fine at 7 degrees on the crank with the timing light.

have a new 97 ecu otw to see if any changes. hoping for the best. not sure what else I can possibly check. there are 3 wires on the cas plug, red, blue , black, just like that, and the 2 ends put out 12v when checked on ignition. so middle must be signal. not sure if anything can be rewired there either.

If plug wire setup is not inverted car wouldn't even start. Miss fire I guessing is cause there is no turbo. These ecu read boost and when we get slight bit air escaping our cars don't run right. Putting that ecu before turbo I would think would make car run all the wrongs ways air/fuel and stuff. I just guessing and hopefully someone on here has done it or know someone who has. Just wait for the right response before continuing drive your car like that. Might be more harmful then good.

If plug wire setup is not inverted car wouldn't even start. Miss fire I guessing is cause there is no turbo. These ecu read boost and when we get slight bit air escaping our cars don't run right. Putting that ecu before turbo I would think would make car run all the wrongs ways air/fuel and stuff. I just guessing and hopefully someone on here has done it or know someone who has. Just wait for the right response before continuing drive your car like that. Might be more harmful then good.

thanks for the reply. good to know about the CAS. still want to see if this 97 ecu will change anything out of curiousity. I was really hoping to get more info like you were saying about the air/ fuel ratios. im not sure what the ecu is thinking. I have not been driving it around, i just left the house and came right back since the timing is so off. going to change the oil too as soon as i figure this out. was seriously hoping i can get the ecu squared away before doing the turbo install. I may just have to turbo swap and pray for the best LOL

okay so i actually pulled a single code from evoscan after noticing a CEL on the dash, said cylinder 4 circuit malfunction. pulled the rail, and sure enough, the number 4 injector was wet to the touch with gas (only one) and upon close examination, there was a crack in the injector. thought it deffinatley part of my misfiring issue. but even now im having some other timing related issue that has me stumped.

changed the fuel wiring back to n/t so i can drive the car atleast, and now car still drives as if misfiring, when it ran better then before with the turbo TB and n/t ecu. not sure what to think or check. is it possible the gas flooded number 4 so much that it destroyed the rings? would a compression test be able to tell me so? i did a compression test before all of this very recently and numbers were great.

UPDATE --alright so like I was saying, I was having issues now after going back to n/t ecu&injectors with misfiring. I knew it had something to do with the injector signals by some means since it was misfiring but no CEL coming on as it would if spark plug / coil pack related. put noid lights on each injector harness plug with the fuel pump and injectors unplugged and got the lights to come blinking on for each plug.

took all the ngk plugs out to make sure they were gapped at .45 as it is n/t right now, regap to .23 I belive once turbo'd. gap did not change and the plug on cylinder 4, where the injector was cracked, was the most black. all gap was still good, and on the multimeter all read 4.5 ohms. after install noticed still that if you open up plug wire at number 4 cylinder engine does not hesitate at all, regardless of spark plug. on a hunch i pushed down the number 4 injector connector and it went back to normal! plug does not want to stay down either so i taped it for the mean time, getting a few pigtails from the junkyard tomorow since mine is worn out. so 2 injector problems on same cylinder.

topped off with 1 last issue, CEL would come on after you start the car from last drive. reset battery / ecu and cleared code, never came on in drive but once you shut off and next start. started acting jumpy while driving, pulled over and unplugged maf and car went back to normal. had a spare good maf and CEL went away!

hoping my other injectors along with my 98 black box ecu come in this weekend so I can get this going!

Okay so i forgot to come back and update that this issue was resolved, I thought i posted it up. it was an interesting combination of issues at once, first to start off I was trying to use a 2GA 95 eprom ecu in a 2GB 99 eclipse spyder, which you can do but you have to switch the firing order to work correctly since the cam signal is inverted between the 2 models. even though i did switch to the correct order, the engine ran horribley, rich and misifiring. had nothing to do with the ignition everything was brand new oem and ngk for that. finally pulled an injectort cirucuit on cylinder 4 malfunction code, and pulled the rail to notice the number 4 injector was cracked and only one dripping with gas so i replaced, before hand i just measured for impedence and all were good. but with the new injector in i pulled the same code. turned out the number 4 injector plug was so wore out you had to press down hard on it for it to make contact, so itd never hold by itself. replaced the plug with a better one from a junkyard. car starts up and runs perfectly after that, turbo ecu installed haha!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back