The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

turbo conversion on a sonata?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon91tsi

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Fitchburg_Ma.
:confused: a friend of mine wants to add turbo to his sonata 2.0. My concern is supplying the coolant. Are the water pumps on turbo and nt the same?

I am doing a turbo sonata as we speak. The car is sh*t brown and looks like hell. Its gonna be a nice sleeper. You have alot more worries than cooling. You will need some type of fuel control(afc). A low boost turbo( very low boost!) with the stock pistons/rods(I am using a 1g auto turbo). The maf is not going to work right ( on our car its smaller than a 1g maf). There is no fittings for cooling/oil for the turbo.The auto transmissions on hyundai's SUCK so if its auto be ready for a slippidy slide ride. Unless your friends car is a junker I do not suggest you turbo it without being prepared for alot of work that may not last 1 mile (can you say hand grenade)let alone 100000.
Oh ya,I forgot our car ( think its a 95) has no knock sensor! Hows that for fun;)
Ill try and snap some pics for everyone. If it works its going to be hysterical.
jd

there is a guy at the DSM Canada forums that runs a 4G63Turbo 6bolt 5spd Sonata. It is totally well done, and very much a sleeper!

note: he did not turbo the stock 4G63 in the Sonata, he put in a 1G factory turbo motor, electronics etc.

Just do a search, he will help ya out. :)

well the water pump is the same. isuppose he will need to adopt quite a few parts from a 1g turbo car, like the water tube,mafs,thermostat housing, and ecu + wiring harness. pretty sure the stock turbo will work fine, as long as he uses a mbc air/fuel and boost guages to monitor things. ithink it would be ok to run the stock psi from the 1g turbo, but no more than 11 psi. I have alot of these parts already for him, but not sure how serious he is.

I'm doing a similar upgrade on my Infiniti G20. Adding turbo to it without changing pistons. A buddy of mine owns his own company, called Japanamotion. He does all kinds of crazy stuff just like this. Anyhow when the G20 is complete it will throw down 205hp at the front wheels @ 7psi. Sorry I know this is dsm site , just couldn't help tootin my own horn LOL.

talk to DSM-Sonata on this forum, he is australian so his sonata is probably different but he has a 50trim kit on his car

Seriously, talk to Thomas Toth on the Club DSM Canada board. His car is not a converted turboised Sonata motor but a 6bolt 1G Talon motor. It is so much better, everything is made to be turboed, and works better.

Originally posted by talon91tsi

I'm doing a similar upgrade on my Infiniti G20. Adding turbo to it without changing pistons. A buddy of mine owns his own company, called Japanamotion. He does all kinds of crazy stuff just like this. Anyhow when the G20 is complete it will throw down 205hp at the front wheels @ 7psi. Sorry I know this is dsm site , just couldn't help tootin my own horn LOL.

My friend has a G20 with a DET in it running on the stock USDM ecu with only an AFC and he put down 216whp untuned at 1 bar with intake/exhaust/stock NA clogged cat. Hopefully he'll add at least 15-20 to that tuned next time at the dyno.

mine will be a little tricky but not too bad, I had to brain storm a little, but I think I'm ready to start putting it all in. Wish me luck.OMG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back