The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

turbo charging a non turbo 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skellagher

Probationary Member
Apr 15, 2008
Newark, Delaware
ok well in my previous thread i was explaining that my 4g63t is blown up so i need a cheap fix just for a few months so my idea is i want to buy a non turbo 4g63 and put my turbo and the turbo ecu on the non turbo so i guess what i am getting to here is i need an educated answer on what would my results be? i understand the non turbo runs like 9:1 compression i just wanna know if i will make the same if not better power than with the turbo motor. i will be running something like 10-12 lbs of boost but like i said i only need that motor until tax time. thank you guys once again. sean:confused:

another thing is there any difference between the turbo and non turbo intake manifold i understand i will be needing the turbo injectors and all that good stuff

The 4g63's NA pistons are rather sturdy in their own right, but the higher CR and thinner ring lands should have you looking to run with less than stock boost. People have run a 100% factory turbo setup on their NT 4g63's, but it probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

non turbos don't have cyl squrters. this could be a problem in long times of boost. they actualy cool the pistons under heavy loads.:talon:

I would not suggest it unless you stay at 10psi or less.. It is kind of like turboing a Honda, but the block is a better on the 4g63..

I looked into this myself for my car as well. You can do a turbo set up on your N/A 4g63 but, its better to just swap in your 1g pistons and injectors and anything else from your old motor into your N/A 4g63 and you should be good to go. The only difference from a N/A 4g and a turbo 4g is that there are no oil squirters for the pistons in the N/A 4g and the pistsons are different also and thats from my own research ive seen here on `tuners. I say do that and save yourself a little money since the N/A version is usually cheaper. Why buy two motors in a matter of a few months when you can somewhat build a stock (or a semi-stock if you add a couple stuff here and there like a better HG and ARP head studs and rod bolts) and you will have a motor thats just as good as a regular 4g63? :thumb:

^^^ Don't forget, the NT 4g63 will need a knock sensor installed, as well.

Get a logger. Stock boost **should** be ok. At worst you can retard the base timing a degree or two, to prevent detonation at toque peak. The car won't feel any more sluggish off boost with less base timing because of the higher compression.

I suggest swapping in the turbo pistons you already have while you have it out of the car though instead. It cost me $42 to have the turbo pistons pressed with n/t rods. The rods are all the same, 6-bolt for 6-bolt and 7-bolt for 7-bolt. Then you won't need another motor at tax time. The oil filter housing is different. The water pipe is different. But you have all those parts already. Which n/t engine are you looking at? Stick with a 6-bolt n/t engine and everything is a direct swap.

You should swap in the turbo pistons at least. I did the swap myself with stock n/t internals. They gave out in about 3 months that was on stock boost and not pushing it much. The stock n/t internals cant really handle boost. Now im having to put in turbo pistons which is twice the work. Just do it while everything is out.

The 4g63's NA pistons are rather sturdy in their own right, but the higher CR and thinner ring lands should have you looking to run with less than stock boost. People have run a 100% factory turbo setup on their NT 4g63's, but it probably isn't the wisest thing to do.

I do it every day of the week. Ive run 20psi before with no problems.. As long as you dont let it knock your fine.

You should swap in the turbo pistons at least. I did the swap myself with stock n/t internals. They gave out in about 3 months that was on stock boost and not pushing it much. The stock n/t internals cant really handle boost. Now im having to put in turbo pistons which is twice the work. Just do it while everything is out.

What happened...."They gave out" isn't a very accurate description. Also what was the conditon of your engine to begin with? Ive been running this way for ever, and I havn't broke a turbo piston.

What happened...."They gave out" isn't a very accurate description. Also what was the conditon of your engine to begin with? Ive been running this way for ever, and I havn't broke a turbo piston.

I was using the n/t internals so the pistons cracked between the rings. The enging was in fairly good condition when it was put in. I would just reccomend he puts in the turbo pistons to be safe.

How tho? were you running bad gas? High boost? Did you not have a knock sensor? I have been running them for 5 years, and havn't broke one yet. I abuse my car, and run high boost 17+. I have my motor apart right now for rings and bearings, and they look fine.

The only time I have heard of a n/t piston breaking is in conditions that would kill a turbo piston as well. E.G lots of nitrous and lots of boost. Basically they were trying to break it.

Well i was on crappy 91 octane here in cali. i took my block apart 3 days ago and noticed 3 out of 4 were cracked. And i was running stock boost which was 10 pounds. so iono how it happened.

Since some time has gone by, are there more fellows turboing the NT internals?

I plan on turboing my stock 1g engine with E85, so detonation should be least of my problems (yes a knock sensor is equipped as well). Fuel system upgraded of course! So not completely stock ;)

Where are the limits of the NT pistons?

I'm running a 7bolt non turbo short block plus 14b, stock turbo cams and full supporting mods. Thing has seen 24 psi in creep and is set for 17-20psi. Stock head gasket and bolts put up with it for two weeks and popped in the cold with boost creep. And that was with a head warped .011. According to the airflow the car should be around 300whp and I've had no issues.
The only thing I've seen that makes me nervous is when I took it apart to do the headgasket the number one cylinder had a lot of evidence of ring bind and scuffing the cylinder wall. That may have just been from coolant in the chamber as every other cylinder is fine. I was worried the N/T might run less ring gap than the turbo but the FSM says that isn't the case......Maybe lack of oil squirters, the pistons get hotter and expand more?
I haven't been kind as its just a shits and giggles project but it seems the N/T4g63 is pretty stout.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back