The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Turbo advice, worth it to rebuild this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Cazares

Probationary Member
Oct 5, 2020
Cazares, California
Need some advice. After years of waiting I finally got a GST. Going threw the car, found the turbo pretty beat up. Don’t know what turbo was installed. Is it worth rebuilding or should I replace it? Thanks in advance

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That turbo should have been trashed tens of thousands of miles ago. You might be able to rebuild it with a new compressor wheel, but I'd recommend replacing or upgrading at this point. The compressor wheel is toast. It's either a stock T25 or a mild upgrade Big T28 judging by the compressor housing.

This is what happens when you run without an air filter for.....a long time.

Thanks for insight. I was leaning towards replacing it since since I had no idea what exactly it was. I’ll start looking around for a new one.

Any recommendations for an air filter?

Or one of these

Or if you are cheap like me, just use some metal wire mesh and a hose clamp and have the same thing for less than $15

I just reverted back from the K&N hot air intake to the factory airbox, as I have done on every one of my DSMs.

At the moment I'm running a paper OE-replacement filter. I might go to a wet cotton filter; I haven't decided yet, but I had a K&N cotton rectangular filter that made the rounds through all of my previous ones.

Or one of these

Or if you are cheap like me, just use some metal wire mesh and a hose clamp and have the same thing for less than $15
Sounds cool but no LOL

Good lord.......$73.00...OMG
Find a good used 14b or a 16g and enjoy it although they don't fire downward, they would use a J-pipe.

Did some some cleaning in the turbo around found some parts numbers on the turbo. It’s a T25/T28. The part number I found was MR187909.

Good lord.......$73.00...OMG
Find a good used 14b or a 16g and enjoy it although they don't fire downward, they would use a J-pipe.
See new ones go for $900 plus 😳. If a rebuild kit is worth it, might do that instead of getting a used one.

That was for the air screen which I feel is a little overpriced, IMO. Our resident Turbo Guru, @JusMX141 , might be able to fix you up with a rebuilt unit or just the parts you need if you want to do it yourself. That inducer has sure seen better days.

Garrett TB2566, the factory 2G turbocharger. Whenever they get enough shaft movement to let the wheel hit the housing in any direction, they disintegrate from the shaft speeds due to their size. They're not a very durable turbo to begin with compared to the MHI TD04/TD05 units, so I'd consider this an opportunity to upgrade as that thing will have no usable parts except the outer housings and wastegate actuator. It's junk.

i have a cracked turbo for a 1998 gst and i need to find a new one, where do i find a non-used turbo that would be an upgrade from the t-25

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back