The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Use parts from 91 talon TSi to Turbo 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matrix_Blue

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2004
Marble Falls, Texas
I have read the posts on turbo charging a 420a and none of them answer my question, sooo I need to know if i can take the computer out of a 91 talon TSi and the whole turbo, intercooler ect. and put it on a 96 base model, and if so what are the steps?

I have aTalon TSi and i wanna fix it but i got the Eclipse and i wanna turbo charge it too, so basicaly i need to know how far it is going to set me back to make a 420a turbocharged vs. a new tranny in the Talon because the tranny is cracked from a 9200 RPM launch and it is stuck like chuck in 2nd gear.

I know i can send it to that place in jersy but they want 1200 already and they havent even looked at it so i need to know if it will be cheaper to boost the Eclipse

personally i wouldn't bother turbo charging the 420a motor...sell and get a 4g63 motor...2¢

BamBamTSi said:
personally i wouldn't bother turbo charging the 420a motor...sell and get a 4g63 motor...2¢

Your 2 cents are worthless, the guy obviously wants to do it, that's a comment that is over posted, and should be kept to yourself.

As for the parts you can use the main ones like the turbo itself, and the SMIC, but the manifold, feed line, return line, IC piping, down pipe and all of that good stuff you need to get and have made. ECU, no.

Your probably going to spend more on turbo charging the 420a, then having a new tranny built for your TSI.

Go look in the tech articles about how to turbo a 420a under 1000 bucks. It should have the list of things needed to turbo a 420a, and one thing you won't ever mix up is trying to use a 91 ECU out of any car on a 95-99 420a eclipse. They don't mix with any 4g product so don't try it.

Well like he said guys he cracked his tranny in a launch. So i take it you wana race what you got. Well pretty much the bottom line is you can turbo the 420a pretty easily. Im 16 and im guna have it done in 2-3 days with me and one other kid. So its not to hard just a lot of reading :| .So if you want to race what you have then a turboed 420 wount give you the PSI your probly looking for. Since 8 is usually the highest people can go. UNLESS you wana buy forged pistons and rods.Then 15 is reasonibol....right guys. But if you want to buy a new tranny and just upgrade your stuff on the tsi then you numbers will be better off racing wise with the tsi. Plus isnt it AWD. Im mixed up iv seen a lot of cars labeled TSI and there not even turbo OR AWD its bull but what ever. Good will hunting man ROFL

i'm a turbo 420a owner and i say get the tranny built n the tsi first. i love my eclipse. i worked very hard on it. but you are going to go much faster in a tsi awd. i hate to say it but it is true. for the money the tsi is the way to go. you can turbo a 420a later. i turboed mine for about 1200 or so. then i blew it up and rebuilt it with forged stuff and i still am only running 8psi cause i can't log yet and i am afraid to change to much with the fuel system and blow up my nice motor. there are just so many more parts and loggers for the 4g63. if you have both then your 4g63 is going to be your best and cheapest way to go fast.

the way i see it turboing the 420a is not the problem. turboing any nonturbo car is easy, now making it fast and reliable is the costly part.

selmerguy said:
the way i see it turboing the 420a is not the problem. turboing any nonturbo car is easy, now making it fast and reliable is the costly part.

Agreed: :cry: , but you do learn a lot about what is needed.

Also Selmerguy, have you looked into the LM-1, wideband display and datalogger. It logs for up to 3hrs at a time. Other things to consider would be have a fuel return line set up, to help adjust for fuel. And then there is also the emange (or ultimate), all with logging software. And then there is megasquirt (which I'm sure you already know about)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back