The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Tunning Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97EclipseGSTer

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
New England, Alabama
Hey hows it going my fellow DSMers. For the past 2 years I have been trying to drop mods into my 97 GS-T but there was always something that happens (Tranny rebuilt, oils leaks, exhaust leaks, college tuition, car insurance, some Ex G/f..you know the usuals) Well I just recently drop in some nice goodies but I know I need to tune. I need help, what should I do/get to tune my car and have it properly running. I'm sort of new to tunning. I do know some basic stuff but not enough to buy a "managment" and full around with it.

O yeah, I'm also poor so if anything I need to do, can it be cheap :D

MODS

Greddy Profec-A EBC(14.5 psi)
NGK one step colder plugs
KN intake system
NGK Wires
T-28 Turbo (bored out on exhaust side)
Extreme PSI intake (exhaust tape wrapped)
EV0 3 o2 housing (bored out to almost match downpipe)
Greddy BOV
3 inch downpipe (Exhaust tape wrapped)
Greddy uicp kit
Greddy Timing Belt
Bored out Throttle body
Fidanza flywheel
Tubular Exhaust Manifold (exhaust tape wrapped)
Fidanza Short shifter
Apexi Grounding Kit
ACT 2600 Series Clutch
Apexi Turbo Timer
MACH V Symbroski Kit
the Random Gauges (Air-fuel, Boost, Temp)

I have a walbro 255HP fuel pump and a BM fuel Pressure Regulator that I never installed, I never hit the point to actually need it till now.

Thanx, Much is appreciated

I noticed you have heat wrap on exhaust components. I've read a few post to where the wrap could hold in moisture.

Since you don't have a lot of money, a SAFC is your cheapest bet along with an EGT Gauge to monitor your temps. DSMLink would be best because you will be able to read knock in your 2G, and when you learn a little more about tuning you can mess with timing maps and such. However, it's quite pricey, especially if you haven't already picked up an e-prom ecu. Many people have been tuning with the SAFC and have gotten great results with it. I'd pick up a used one and slap in the EGT and you should be set.

Yeah, you defniately need to get your fuel components installed on there that will give you a big helping hand. Secondly you need something to help adjust the amount of air flow your engine sees itself getting. you're probibly running all 42 flavors of screwed up in there. Definately take a look into a GM MAF-T, SAFC-2, or DSMLink. They all can run pretty pricey (300+ for MAFT, 250 or so for SAFC-2, and roughly a grand for DSMLink) but are so worth it it's not even funny. Spend 10 bucks now to save 30 later as they say....

Thanx for some of the reply's. Before I posted for help, I read about the Apexi SAFC. I almost purchased it. But I have a TRD tuner with a MR2 turbo that said you really REALLY need someone who knows what they are doing to use the Controller. Now all I need now is a place/someone who has tuned with the SAFC on the DSM car. I live in MA, anyone know a place in the area?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back