The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

ECUflash Tuning options - Evo8 ECU or Flash 98-99 ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idt512

20+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2003
Hemet, California
I havent been on here for several years and i see whole new options for tuning, Evo8 ECU in a 2G, ECU Flash, EvoScan, CeddyMods. I did quite a bit of reading and looks like 98/99 ECUs are flashable? Wow how times have changed, I remember only the 95s with the EPROM + DSMLink option (stand alones not included) or SAFCs... Anyway, im back and I now have a 97 GST and would like to try this new trend (one of them) :) What are the advantages /disadvantages of the Evo8 ECU versus flashing a 98/99. Looks like there is some rewiring involved on the Evo8 method, which im perfectly fine with, but other than that id like to know which is more preferred for street use

The 98/99 ECU appeals to me since its more of a direct swap, whereas the 95 EPROM had to reconfigure the ignition wires and the CAS? Or was the CAS only required for 6-bolt conversions? I cant remember anymore, its been a while

Bought my GSX with a SAFC I tune on it. Realized I needed to get with the times and already had a 98 flashable ecu so I went with Ecuflash(Ceddymods) and Evoscan route. I had 0 experience tuning before but there is enough info out there on ecuflash to learn how to use it. All I did was read on here and watched these great videos on evom that gives a great explanation on how to get around in the software. I haven't done any research but if I understand correctly, you can tune evos/stis with the same hardware you use for ecuflash, which is a perk for me as I plan on getting an evo eventually.

Good Links:

[URL="http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/407715-how-get-basic-tune-ecuflash.html"]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=13C9F1BF5C03E946&hd=1"]http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/evoscan-ecuflash-tuning/347070-ceddymod-v1-ecuflash.html[/ame]
[/URL]

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/evoscan-ecuflash-tuning/338754-first-flashed-dsm-ecu-98-99-flashing-faq.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/407715-how-get-basic-tune-ecuflash.html

Oh, and Ecuflash(Ceddymods)/Evoscan route will only cost you about $200. Plus whatever it costs for the 98/99 ecu.

I bought a 98 GS-T ecu on ebay for $50 and bought the full CeddyMod hex file from him for $30. Paid ~$180 for the cable. I wired in the pin 79 from a junk pigtail to enable the flashing capability. Did all that last week and swapped in the ECU on my '97 GSX over the past weekend. I did a dump of that stock bin file and saved it (using ecuflash), then flashed the 98 GS-T ecu with the stock 99 GSX bin file. I was surprised that the 99 stock flash made my car much more responsive than the original 97 ecu. After one day, I got the CE light from the purge circuit (that is non-existent in the 97) that the 99 program tries to test on occasion. I will be reflashing tonight with the full CeddyMod hex file with only the emission readiness and purge delete changes to make sure I can set the car up to be 'ready' for the emission test.

All in all, I personally would rather go thru this process and learn/understand what's going on myself vs. a canned system or having someone else do it. I have flashed/tuned Fords, BMWs, Ducatis, and Hondas so I may be higher on the learning curve - that said this isn't rocket science by any means. I also plan to analyze the stock bin files with some other programs I have just to see if there are other maps/scalars out there that Ceddy and the EVO guys missed.

Good Stuff.....

I don't recommend anyone to use the 98+ DSM ECU anymore. There was really only one guy working on the development for it and he's long gone. To flash a 98+ DSM ECU, you need an openport 2.0 cable which is rather pricey and datalogs at a low sample rate. Most guys with the 98+ ECU also purchase a cheap 1.3 cable on eBay for better logging.

The Evo 8-9 ECU has much more support, most of which is readily available on the evom forums.
The Evo ECU can be flashed (and logged) with a 1.3 cable.
It has a datalogging sample rate that rivals Link, exceeds it if you use the DMA logging patch.
With DMA logging patches applied, you can also use another patch to do live tuning in real time.
If you dream of something you want to do with the Evo ECU, someone has probably already made a publicly available patch for it that works well.

I have 2 questions regarding the EVO8 vs 98DSM ecu:

In using the EVO8 ecu on a 2g DSM, how much modification to the OE EVO8 code is necessary just to drive the car? I appreciate that the legwork has been done, but I assume that a major reflash is needed just to hit the ground, including the immobilizer coding.

With respect to the 98-99 GS-T/GSX ecu and the existing definition files, what tables and/or scalars are not defined that would make modification or tuning easier vs the EVO8 ecu. I have been thru the CeddyMod definition file and I am pretty certain that with it I could easily tune a 500+HP car (this is using his big table and SD options - he also has nice launch and no-lift shifting options) that would plug into the OBD machines here in the Atlanta area and 'pass' emissions. Am I missing something?

Not trying to stoke a debate, but if it really makes better sense to go the EVO route, I will.

I don't recommend anyone to use the 98+ DSM ECU anymore. There was really only one guy working on the development for it and he's long gone. To flash a 98+ DSM ECU, you need an openport 2.0 cable which is rather pricey and datalogs at a low sample rate. Most guys with the 98+ ECU also purchase a cheap 1.3 cable on eBay for better logging.

The Evo 8-9 ECU has much more support, most of which is readily available on the evom forums.
The Evo ECU can be flashed (and logged) with a 1.3 cable.
It has a datalogging sample rate that rivals Link, exceeds it if you use the DMA logging patch.
With DMA logging patches applied, you can also use another patch to do live tuning in real time.
If you dream of something you want to do with the Evo ECU, someone has probably already made a publicly available patch for it that works well.

In using the EVO8 ecu on a 2g DSM, how much modification to the OE EVO8 code is necessary just to drive the car? I appreciate that the legwork has been done, but I assume that a major reflash is needed just to hit the ground, including the immobilizer coding.
Immobilizer has to be disabled and the MAS has to be rescaled -unless you also swap in an Evo 8 / 3G MAS and pigtail. Nothing else. Tuning will obviously need done though, and stock evo 8 maps knock more than most finicky people will find acceptable.

With respect to the 98-99 GS-T/GSX ecu and the existing definition files, what tables and/or scalars are not defined that would make modification or tuning easier vs the EVO8 ecu. I have been thru the CeddyMod definition file and I am pretty certain that with it I could easily tune a 500+HP car (this is using his big table and SD options - he also has nice launch and no-lift shifting options) that would plug into the OBD machines here in the Atlanta area and 'pass' emissions.
Ceddy's stuff is well done and the fueling scalars are more real-life accurate than the offset global fuel scalar in the Evo ECU. This may be partially due to the Evo ECU's much more robust MOSFET injector drivers combined with the very low deadtimes (relatively speaking) of the stock 560cc injectors, though.

Also, Evo ECU code patching can become very laborious if you let it. Don't talk yourself into more functions than you really need. Remember "K.I.S.S.", which is generally my motto on things beyond my admittedly low level of education.

Am I missing something?
Not really. I can tell you know what you need versus want.

for simplicity go with the evo 8 vs the 9 and don't waste your time with 98-99dsm ecu.

If you want the best H8 ecu for future upgrading go evo 9. But its a few more wires to switch and maybe a check engine light!

oh and have fun!

I would say go with the Evo 8 ECU. The tephra v7 mod gives a lot of neat features. My favorite is NLTS. Also the ability to have duel fuel maps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back