The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

tuning for MPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95weclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2009
LaSalle, Illinois
I need help with getting my car tuned, my mods are on my profile, I just need to get this tuned, my car only gets 20-21, ran a compression test the other day came back all above 170, think my pcv is stuck open, will be getting a new one soon, I don't need a 10 sec tune, just to get the "base tune" done i guess any help would be greatly appreciated, I am using ecmlink v3 lite btw

I get that completely babying it, little to no boost I cant get 300 miles out of a tank of gas, and if I get 300, I don't know how big the tanks are, I am guessing 15? cause when my gas light comes on and I fill it, it only takes 14 so I figure its 15 so that's only 20 and I am on the high way most of the time, Bastard, you know I39, I live in Oglesby now and I work in Wenona, so I hop on 39 and take it to Wenona and get off at 18 and my work is only 1 mile done the road so I am only off the high way for 3 miles the rest is about 15 miles so I drive about 36 miles a day mon-fri, depending on if I got to pick my daughter up which I go to streator to do but still I am running 60mph and I for got where my rpms are at 60 but at 70 they are at 28-2900 so I have to baby the s**t out of it to make 300, my gst was getting 23-34 before link, injectors, ect.... then after all that it was still getting 350 miles to a tank easy

Around town, I do 20 to 22, mixed freeway and town 25 and straight freeway for a full tank, about 28 mpg with cruise on.

I run my stock 16inch tires at 35lbs and that helps reduce rolling resistance.

Your numbers are close to normal for a 3000LB beast what the 2G vehicles almost weighs in.

Plus, you have a driveshaft running the back wheels and that eats up fuel pretty good as well since one motor is driving four wheels. If you were a GS NT with the 420A motor, then you might gain a couple of miles due to being FWD.

300 miles a tank is also about norm for city/hgy driving with these things.

And stay away from E-85 .. we don't have the protection to use that corrosive fuel along it will kill your MPG in a heartbeat. E-85 is made for the new cars that are 'flex fuel' qualified.

Lose about a half ton and then you might get some higher numbers...or, get a Honda for they have smaller motors, lighter chassis and sip fuel as a Honda are known for.

-DSM

I think the setup has lots to do with it. I have driven my car on the highway once and tuning the AFR's to 15-16s would start overheating process so I lowered those numbers to get decent 85-90 degree Celsius.

Next time I will try to retard timing as well so I can cut little more fuel so the mpg is more and heating is less...

Retard timing and your MPG goes to the sewer since you're killing the efficency of what correct timing is designed for.

If you got heating issues, look more into the A/F setup to get that balanced - from a lean issue to a more balanced issue.

Sorry, you just can't have mega performance and great gas mileage at the same time.

It takes fuel for performance, but if economy is what you want, either pull the motor out and put in a 1.8L, or get a smaller car that does give you the economy.

Just the nature of the game.

And stay away from E-85 .. we don't have the protection to use that corrosive fuel along it will kill your MPG in a heartbeat. E-85 is made for the new cars that are 'flex fuel' qualified.

-DSM

Yea, e85 is terrible. It allowed me to make over 550whp and get 25mpg on the freeway. Guess I better go back to 92 octane since my car isn't "flex fuel qualified".

Wtf is this guy talking about "stay away from e85"

!?!?
Its not acid it won't melt a whole through your gas tank. And those of us that do run it (i plan to in spring) have proper supporting mods. U don't just go to the pump n fill it up with e85 and drice off on your merry way it requires specific tuning and op doesn't even have a safc to tune with yet your warning him to stay away from it. Nonsense.

As for mpg, sorry op I think 20 is good I'm lucky if I get 17 or 18. Alright I don't know how some of you guys can Daily a dsm you definitely need a daily driver to own a DSM. My slobalt gets about 36mpg. Has absolutely no power. But it gets me to work and back for less then half of what the gsx would cost me

He has ECMLink V3 Lite... Which is much better than a SAFC (IMO).... Just saying. It is the last sentence of the OP's Post.

However, you both have valid points. E-85 is not supposed to be used in the stock fuel system of the DSM. But if you replaced certian fuel components, you will be able to run E-85 successfully without any issues other than a tune of course.

with highway miles, i got 385 and my gas light didnt even come on yet.
of course i only boosted like 2 times.

tire pressure is like 35 psi i believe for me

still my main question stands I guess, how do I go about tuning it, Ive tried reading about it on here but it don't really make sense to me, just looking for some one to walk me through tuning it

I just leaned out my SAFC, and got about 320/tank, roughly 29 MPG. But, I shifted at like 2k, and didn't leave vacuum.

E85 wont instantly destroy your fuel system. I have my 2g gsx on e85 completly stock except for a walbro 255 and 1250cc injectors tuned on v3 for over a year with no issues. For mpgs i do not recomend it. But i dont want people thinking e85 is bad i love the power increase from 93 octane

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back