The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

tuning after install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRS95TSI

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2004
louisville, Kentucky
i'm putting on an e316g with extremepsi's 2g install kit, 680 injectors, walbro 190, safc2, ngk bpr7es, accel thundersports. my question is i'm thinking about having a performance shop tune my safc2 when i get the install done, if i cant do it myself. was wondering if it would be safe to drive the car a couple miles to get it tuned. how bad is it going to run without tuning it? ne suggestions on first time tuners? i kno its kinda newbish but i really don't wanna get the install done and be stuck with terrible tuning since ive never tuned.

It seems like you have nothing to tune with yourself. You will need DSMLink or Pocketlogger or some other logging software with a OBDII cable and Palm. It's all about knock and timing. If you get the Keydiver chip (dsmchips.com) on your 2G, you can monitor knock on your factory boost gauge. If not, you will need some type of logging software to monitor timing when you do a 3rd gear pull to redline.

If you have the SAFC installed, just make sure that you are not leaning it out too much(i.e., putting too high of negative numbers in for fuel)...you should be fine until you get it tuned. One common misconception with modded turbo cars...if you don't goose it or go wide open throttle...you won't have any trouble with blowing your engine. If you don't give it a lot of gas and boost...you will essentially be running a naturally aspirated condition...with no fear of blowing your engine...

Edit-- The previous post recommended -30% for the SAFC to start with. I personnally do not feel comfortable with recommending someone else to lean their fuel without a way to monitor. If you have a way to log...then go ahead an set the SAFC to the recommended starting point for a EVO316G turbo. I didn't see any tuning capabilities in your profile.

ummm 680's are 30% larger then the stock 440's. so thats why he suggested 30%. just read, re-read, the safc2 install and tune articals on this website. there are a few other DSM websites and tech articals others might post on how to tune your safc2. its not rocket science. but you will need a logging device check your settings and to fine dial everything. or get it dyno tuned with a shops wo2.

i am running a big 16g with 18psi and have 550s in the car

the car is a 98 gs-t and my afc settings are like -25 to -28 on hi throttle
and my car was tuning with a wideband

i think 680cc injectors are just too big for a 16g car unless you use a hks vpc or a chips ecu with a 680cc injector base map

i am getting a pocketlogger in 2 wks. i think im gonna try to do it myself. i have like 2 performance shops right down the street from me so if i cant do it i will go there i suppose. i just dont wanna damage nething since ive never tuned before.

all cars are different, -30 may be way too lean. After dialing in my 680's:
lo:
-12, -18, -21, -21, -21, -21, -21, -21

hi:
-22, -22, -22, -22, -22, -22, -22, -22

Car drives strongest and feels/sounds like it did with stock injectors at these settings even though the logger says my o2v is at 1.0v
If i lean it out toward -25 across my 02's go to .97-.95v, i get knock, timing has dips, and the motor sounds like it it running lean, and it is slower.

97gsx, walbro 190, 16g

If you have no logger, you can roughly find where you need to be for daily driving. Use an air fuel ratio guage, slowly lean out the car until the guage stops cycling, then richen it back up a few percent. Do this for all the rpm intervals. Go for a drive and see if the guage still cycles. If it does you are fine for daily driving. I know people on this forum swear by the logger, and it is the best way to learn, but this way is just as effective for lo throttle IMO.

i just got the turbo on last night. i wasn't able to add any of the fuel components so i just kept the boost at 11 lbs. going to about 14 here and there. so i'm not gonna bother with the safc or fuel till i get my pocket logger in. does this sound like a good idea or should i just go all out.

im guessing its not a good idea to get on it now at 11lbs, since its a new turbo? when i get my car tuned with my fuel components on would it be ok to turn up the boost and get on it even if the turbo isn't that old yet?

You are good to go. You should be able to run 14psi safely on stock fuel.

so u all think its ok to get on it here and there, even though it's not broken in, or is there a such thing?.....one question i did have is on the e316g there is no bottom boost source like the t-25 to connect my BOV's lower nipple. ne suggestions or does it matter?

you dont need the second nipple because you have a boost controller. the t25 was designed for the stock boost control selenoid so it has 2 nipples. You will be fine running 11-14psi as long as you want you dont need to break in a turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back