The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tuner insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreams Realized

5+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2018
Seattle, Washington
Hey y'all it's a new year in a new-ish decade and we all still drive 22-30+ year old cars.

As part of the new year I just turned 26 at the end of summer and got kicked off all insurance plans to start life anew as an "adult." Which really only seems to mean I have less and less expendable income.

As such I've been shopping around for tuning/classic car insurance for my dsm. I paid $4500 for my car at 146k km 3 years ago. According to Hagerty my current insurer my car is worth $6500 at 173k km. And I have it insured with $10k worth of aftermarket parts. I pay $500-ish per year. Probably a little inflated due to a reckless endangerment with a vehicle ticket I got a couple years back (that's a rant and a half). I am a safe and not aggressive driver I swear, but sometimes someone comes along and pushes all the right buttons.

I digress. I am curious if 1. others have their tuned dsm's bundled in with their other cars or on a seperate insurance plan?
2.What insurance provider do you use?
3. What calculator do they use to appraise your car? (Edmunds, kbb, tempest, personal/private)
4.How many miles do you put on your car?
5. Street only, track only, or both
6. What state do you reside?
7. Age (ballpark if this is sensitive)
8. How much do you pay per year? (Ballpark if it's sensitive information)

:cool::talon::dsm::laser::hellyeah:

@Ludachris I'm not sure if this violates any of your legal rules on a public online forum so take it down or edit if need be. I'm not trying to get this site in trouble.

correct. Hagerty is a specialty insurer, so they cannot insure me as a driver. But I drive so little that my other insurance policy is just personal liability and it's significantly cheaper.

Most estimates for tuning specific insurers follow the same principle. You have 4-6 option plans based on how much you want to insure your aftermarket parts for. Hagerty capped me at $20k in aftermarket parts for my specific make but other cars that are worth more have higher caps. And that's it really if I get in an accident they would just cut me a check for the amount im insured for. No hassling with KBB values that aren't anywhere near accurate just a simple agreed upon number.

Which insurance companies have you guys used in the past and which do you use now? How much do you pay a month? How is their customer service?

Hagerty says they will do an agreed upon value for your vehicle, they quoted me insurance for $70k if I want it, I dont see how they have capped anyone at 20k in mods unless thats a different way for them to insure, say $10k for your car and $20k for your mods? we just did an agreed upon $70k quote, its not cheap your talking $300 a month or so and thats only if its garaged, only driven to car shows, has a $1000 tracking device added to it etc. and thats not full coverage or liability either, thats theft and fire/comprehensive stuff only. They claim our cars are "tuner cars" and are in the same group as Honda's out on the west coast that get stolen on purpose for $$$ and thats why the rates are so high, has nothing to do with anyone's age at that point since they aren't insuring your driving, just your car against theft, the insurance rep also told me that he insures his young sons new Mustang Cobra or whatever expensive version it is for $60k and that its only like $70 a month, so Hagerty sucks in that regard, there's other companies jumping on the collector car bandwagon, competition will drive down the rates.

Hmm I am not sure why I was capped. I suppose I could have entered a higher value for my car maybe? Idk I just used a few online tuner insurance quote calculators and Hagerty was best for me. I might have to get a OBII Tracker to make sure I only drive 2k miles or less per year but the lady on the phone said nothing about it.

I think if you have a more expensive build or a full race/drag build there are better companies that are more niche in that regard.

But all I know is when I had a generic policy on my modded Volvo S60R I had to decide if I wanted to buy my wrecked car for $500 and piece meal it and hope to recoup all my money or take the insurance rate which was TERRIBLE they kept quoting a base model, and KBB had no values for a used R model so I literally had to find used dealership prices for like 10 examples... Which took weeks. I finally got my money back for just the car. The mods were sunk costs.

I "did" have my 1967 Camaro RS with Hagarty (long, long story but good). They valued my car at $50000 and I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it since I didn't drive it very much (under a certain amount of miles, like 3000 or something). They would have stood behind a full coverage total for that amount if it were in an accident or stolen. That's my experience with them and I WILL be going back to them for their coverage for that car. Of course its an antique, but hey, these will be soon too! :thumb:

ITS NOT A FIRECHICKEN (it's a Rally Sport Camaro, they had hideaway headlights).........ROFL but yes Larry I should have Life Ins with them too but the Post Office has me covered pretty well for that. I don't know who would need me to have life insurance so........
Yes Haggarty DID have it, it is now with State Farm until I can get ahold of Haggarty again for a quote and that will be soon. I am repairing the brakes on her right now (leaky master cylinder) and she will be able to run around town for all to bask in her glory, soon! YAY!!!! :thumb: She isn't fast but she sure is pretty!

This isn't for my Eclipse (State Farm) but I have American Collector's Insurance covering my AZ-1 at $17.5 (I need to raise this by a lot), my Scrum at $7k, and my Sambar at $5k. All are 6000 miles per year and the equivalent of full coverage for $900/year. 28, Indianapolis. The two Autozams are modified and there is some kind of coverage for that but I don't recall the exact values.

I got a quote from Hagerty that was insanely high but then they refused to cover me saying that my cars had no collector value, so I am shocked that they would be willing to cover a DSM. I got quotes from Grundy and National Corvette Museum as well but I don't remember why I didn't go with them. I literally deleted all of those emails yesterday.

State Farm SAYS that they will insure "specialty" vehicles if you have been with them for at least six months and that is what I was planning to look into for my JDM collection but I haven't done that yet.

This isn't for my Eclipse (State Farm) but I have American Collector's Insurance covering my AZ-1 at $17.5 (I need to raise this by a lot), my Scrum at $7k, and my Sambar at $5k. All are 6000 miles per year and the equivalent of full coverage for $900/year. 28, Indianapolis. The two Autozams are modified and there is some kind of coverage for that but I don't recall the exact values.

I got a quote from Hagerty that was insanely high but then they refused to cover me saying that my cars had no collector value, so I am shocked that they would be willing to cover a DSM. I got quotes from Grundy and National Corvette Museum as well but I don't remember why I didn't go with them. I literally deleted all of those emails yesterday.

State Farm SAYS that they will insure "specialty" vehicles if you have been with them for at least six months and that is what I was planning to look into for my JDM collection but I haven't done that yet.
How did you come to acquire autozam cars?

I'm confused why Hagerty has such a bad rap? This may be a Hyundai dealership syndrome of bad representatives giving people the run around? But there are many other "stated value" insurers.

Also autozams huh? The A-1 keeps skyrocketing in price over here. Saw a mint one sell for $26.5k with 20k on the clock last year. Is it the gull wing doors? Can you engine swap them?

How did you come to acquire autozam cars?
I wish that Oppositelock hadn't been taken down because I had a nice 12 part series about all of my automotive bullshit, but at least I have the original text here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...xv_9IpFlL8L2j_ZxM/edit#heading=h.muumi3vvk6d1 Part 9 is where I acquire the first Autozam. I haven't even updated it for the second one yet, but that is mentioned in my build journal on here along with the Jimny and Sambar.

Also autozams huh? The A-1 keeps skyrocketing in price over here. Saw a mint one sell for $26.5k with 20k on the clock last year. Is it the gull wing doors? Can you engine swap them?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I mean, this is a thread about insurance quotes on DSMs but I literally cannot stop myself from talking about my cars. I bought my Mazdaspeed for 10k in 2016. People have swapped Hayabusas and rotaries but the engine bay is small even for the factory 3 cylinder, and that F6A can double its output with a turbo, ECU, and injectors. The factory bottom end can hold more than 150hp, which is around where the transmission will let go. But that puts it around the same power to weight as a 300hp GST, so it's plenty. I am swapping mine for a Suzuki K6A which isn't technically any more capable because I am an idiot who always needs a project. The 100hp F6A currently in the AZ-1 will go in the Autozam Scrum and get bumped to 120hp.

@1990TSIAWDTALON How is your experience with State Farm for the F body? Apparently not sufficient if you're planning to switch back to Hagerty...

Last edited:
Oh I just had a super bad experience with my home owners insurance when my house got hit by lightning so I DUMPED the 1st insurance company and went to town and set up an account with my State Farm agent and I have to say that I am happy with their rates and coverage, but it isn't set up to cover the old girl as a "classic" car, she just has liability on her until I get her back out of the shop, then I will ask Haggarty to quote me. The last time I had them, I had to get an appraisal from a car dealer (who is my best friend and the man that did the paint and body work on the car) to get them to cover it for "said" amount. I can update this info as soon as the master cylinder goes back on and she is drivable again.

I figured as much you rascal ROFLROFLROFL :thumb:

Does Hargaety cover leased vehicles as well? Looking to keep my DSM but will need a work truck.

They probably do. But your rate would go up if you do not yourself own the vehicle. As for a work truck. They do not cover dailys or vehicles that recieve heavy use. For those vehicles it is easier and cheaper to get quotes from the big five, have them compete for your loyalty and go with the cheaper one.

I am trying to lower my insurance rates because things are getting super expensive, have you guys used anything else besides Hagerty that was cool with Tuner Vehicles?

I own an independent insurance agency, we work with Haggerty plus about 30 other insurance carriers.

Haggerty is likely going to be your best option if you're insuring something that has a lot of aftermarket parts or that is difficult to place a market value on, especially if you're not driving it very often.

Many other insurers allow you to add coverage for aftermarket parts, but there's often a limit (~3x vehicle value) and you need to provide proof of the aftermarket parts (receipts, typically).

If you're not driving the car much, and you're not as concerned about the aftermarket parts (or have <$4k of them) your best bet may be Progressive.

@herostar: We have Progressive, and they told us that we are welcome to add aftermarket equipment coverage — at an increased premium, of course.

What is scary for all of us is, following a major accident, the insurance company might use the sale value of some beat car, with the same equipment, and calling that “full market value”.

We car owners typically reference Kelley Blue Book, while the insurance industry prefers the NADA Black Book.

As car owners, how can we negotiate the value of our cars *before* anything happens, unless we go with a specialty insurer? Can we negotiate with standard carriers (e.g. Progressive) when beginning a policy? Will they be bound to that amount?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back