The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECUflash Tune with Open Port ECUFlash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasean Real

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2018
San Diego, California
Hey yall i'm still fresh to tuning so i am unsure of many things and looking for the best route to tune this car. I own a 98 gsx 6bolt swap 7 bolt head with a CAS adapter on it. It has evo 560cc's, the previous owner mentioned it has a stage 3 eeprom (idk what that is) . Im running the stock 98 ecu and the spark plugs are 4123 firing order. I downloaded ECUflash and im currently trying to dl the ceddy mods as well as evoscan which i wouldn't even know which version to get. Could anyone help me find the best route to go? thanks

if you could use an evo 8 ecu along with the required hardware and software support, and tephramods, then evom may have some form of support for you.
but you'd have to read through pages of comments...

There are a lot of options. The only one I recommend for casual self tuners is dsmlink.

You can burn chips, use an ostrich, haltech, aem, fueltech, link ecu..... But those options don’t have the support of link.

I know link is expensive but it holds your hand where as all the others listed above your dropped in the deep end. I used a moats ostrich and tuner pro,I now have linkv3 and can say it's worth every penny i had no tuneing background prior to my dsm's

Yep link is the best way, I used ceddymods and evoscan on my old 2g. Ostrich and jackal on my 1g then went ecmlink v3 much much more user friendly without a steep learning curve.

if you could use an evo 8 ecu along with the required hardware and software support, and tephramods, then evom may have some form of support for you.
but you'd have to read through pages of comments...

my 98 has a black box stock 98 ecu and i have the openport 2.0 tactrix obdII flasher thing and cables that's why i'm considering it. If i don't tune it myself, i would have a shop tune it. I just don't want to go out the way to try and find a 95 eeprom ecu if i don't need it. The previous owner said it has a stage 3 eeprom, i'm still wondering how that's possible if it has a blackbox. As for tephramods that's new to me

Last edited:
my 98 has a black box stock 98 ecu and i have the openport 2.0 tactrix obdII flasher thing and cables that's why i'm considering it. If i don't tune it myself, i would have a shop tune it. I just don't want to go out the way to try and find a 95 eeprom ecu if i don't need it. The previous owner said it has a stage 3 eeprom, i'm still wondering how that's possible if it has a blackbox
The previous owner's an idiot. There's no 'stage' to an eprom ECU, it either has one, or it doesn't.

Burned eprom chips for socketed eprom ecu's where sold as stages, like keydiver and some others sold.
The ecu's don't really have stages but the chips where sold in stages depending on the level of modification and options selected for the eprom chip.
Ceedy's mods work very well depending on what your goal might be, works perfect for what I wanted/needed.
I use it to scale my injectors, set my idle, dial in my maf, get rid of some CEL's, set my WOT AFR, raise boost cut, lower fan turn on temps, etc.
I think ecmlink is by far a more developed package with great logging, you get what you pay for here.
EDIT:
Seems keydiver might still be around and offers/offered a stage 3 flashed 98/99 ecu, not sure if they're still doing it but it's listed!
http://dsmchips.com/flash.php?gen=2&stage=3

Last edited:
Burned eprom chips for socketed eprom ecu's where sold as stages, like keydiver and some others sold.
The ecu's don't really have stages but the chips where sold in stages depending on the level of modification and options selected for the eprom chip.
Ceedy's mods work very well depending on what your goal might be, works perfect for what I wanted/needed.
I use it to scale my injectors, set my idle, dial in my maf, get rid of some CEL's, set my WOT AFR, raise boost cut, lower fan turn on temps, etc.
I think ecmlink is by far a more developed package with great logging, you get what you pay for here.
EDIT:
Seems keydiver might still be around and offers/offered a stage 3 flashed 98/99 ecu, not sure if they're still doing it but it's listed!
http://dsmchips.com/flash.php?gen=2&stage=3

I Appreciate the link
my goals are just to tune it to run the best for daily driving running maybe 15-20psi (something reasonable ) on 91 pump. No racing just passing people if i need to on the freeway.

also:

-Drop my Idle rpm (Rn it's around 1-1.2,000)
-revive my 2 step launch control
-Be able to remove CELs in case i want to delete my emissions

Last edited:
So I’ve always used ecuflash. My question is can I pass emissions with link after gutting emission controls? I know with ecu flash I’m able to set all monitors to come back pass and still go through emissions with no cat or egr installed I’ve heard link does not let u change emission stuff

No you cannot set the monitors to pass just disable the check engine light. It may be worth it to keep the 2nd ecu for emissions. Link is a great tool I love it and the support from other members who are extremely willing to help with all questions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back