The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

TSi electrical issues (ITS NOT THE FUSE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklesmack

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2009
phoenix, Arizona
okay I just picked up a 95 tsi in horrible shape someone watched a little bit too much of the first fast and furious LOL but anyways the problem I'm having is my dome light my radio my obd plug and horn do not work I have checked all the other thread and everyone seems to have the same solution that it's the fuse well it's not the fuse it has power going through the radio and room fuse under the hood but after that it loses the power somewhere has anyone had any experience with this problem and know how to fix it any help would be appreciated thx

not much experience with wiring diagrams my last tsi had no problems and this 1 is just a headache

Sounds like your in need of some patience, and need to get to figuring out that wire mess, could be bad ground, wiring, short, many things. wiring sucks especially when you have to take over a mess.

yeah between the glow gauges the neon and the this shitty ass alarm install wiring is a nightmare it just annoys the crap outta me that somethings work and something dont my sunroof power windows and power locks work it just sucks I had to find out the hard way that the horn didn't work LOL

I specialize in automotive electrical, have you checked all the things you listed that dont have power at the connectors and switches themselves? if you have power then check your ground, i recommend you use a multimeter or a logic prob test light not a regular test light its an easy way to cook compenents and accidentlly short wires.
dome light - do any interior lights work ie. hatch light kick panel lights etc or is it just your dome light that doesnt work
radio - check fuses 5 12 11 in your underhood fuse box your ground should be obvious with the deck out
obd plug - check pins 16 and 9 for power ans pins 4 and 5 for ground. your obd2 plug is kind of rectangular in shape its like the bottom of a pyramid with a little tab on the shorter side. looking at it with the long side up, the short side down (side with the tab) starting at the top right corner is pin 1 and ending on the bottom right corner is pin 16
horn - easiest place to start it locate both of your horns, check your ground then have someone push the horn switch and you check for power at the connector.

Ok I dont have a logic probe but I do have a test light that can tell if a wire is hot or cold blue and red leds LOL don't know if that's a logic so here is the weird thing when I tested the radio power wire it comes up as a blue led which means it's now a ground I don't understand how that can happen without blowing any fuses it not just a dead wire it has a ground current going through it I'm stumped....and all the interior do not work no power at the plugs the actual horn does work tested it with some jumper wires haven't checked the actual buttons on the airbag and a obd I will check tomorrow any thoughts on the ground thing

i rode around forever without everything you mentioned, till one day i was bored and found out my (dont know what the fuse is called), but its the one next to the alt fuse in the fuse box in the bay, was cracked. :barf: All is well now, even beeps with the keys in ignition! awesome!!!
Looked it up, its the B(+) fuse, left of the 100a. powers everything inside.
so no radio?

Thanks eclipsalon I will take a look at that one today and thanks to everyone else who chimed in and if anyone else has any ideas feel free to let me know thx

You just need to rewire the whole thing.... or very maticulously comb through every wire I'm assuming the PO just hacked and spliced away

As in make a new harness? This guy is having problems finding a simple short and you are reccomending him completly rebuild the wiring harness, get out here with that.

okay I just picked up a 95 tsi in horrible shape someone watched a little bit too much of the first fast and furious LOL but anyways the problem I'm having is my dome light my radio my obd plug and horn do not work I have checked all the other thread and everyone seems to have the same solution that it's the fuse well it's not the fuse it has power going through the radio and room fuse under the hood but after that it loses the power somewhere has anyone had any experience with this problem and know how to fix it any help would be appreciated thx

Go to harbor freight and buy a 4 dollar digital multimeter. Trying to diagnose electrical problems without being able to test for continuity is pointless.

Last edited:
I had some issues i got another from salvage yard solved all my problems, wiring can be a pita. Depends on how patient you are in solving your issues, fix one problem then another, can arise, my harness was less than 40 bucks from the local upull.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back