The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Trying to keep it “stock”: Mr OEM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Read all your updates, nice work. I'm assuming this is not your first rodeo?

Normally people just fix what they break. The amount of attention to detail and work you're putting in is next level.

Read all your updates, nice work. I'm assuming this is not your first rodeo?

Normally people just fix what they break. The amount of attention to detail and work you're putting in is next level.
These people aren't "normal". Hell they made me a Moderator..... ROFL
It isn't his first round and I can't emphasize how much the whole forum is grouped up and helpful.
This build is a VERY good example of how the trend is moving to FIX these cars and make them NOT 30 years old again. NICE BUILD! :thumb:
Marty

These people aren't "normal". Hell they made me a Moderator..... ROFL
It isn't his first round and I can't emphasize how much the whole forum is grouped up and helpful.
This build is a VERY good example of how the trend is moving to FIX these cars and make them NOT 30 years old again. NICE BUILD! :thumb:
Marty

You are going to surprised but this IS my first rebuild hahahaha. I have owned a DSM since I was 16 but I fell into the group he was talking about where I only fixed what needed to be at the time. Before, my DSM was always my daily so I always had to have it back together for work etc LOL. Now that I am older and have much more time and lets be honest, money... I wanted to completely rebuild one. Thank you to everyone for making all this possible BECAUSE the community is so tight knit and strong. I have had so much help from everyone on here and thats what has made everything turn out like it has so far!

And yes, I know I am going waaaay above and beyond with this build but I wanted to be able to step back when its done and know I can say I without a doubt have one of the cleanest DSMs on the planet. AND it WILL be driven, not sit in the garage and not see a road. She will not be a trailer queen.

Well you are going about my moto, "I built it, I tuned it and I DRIVE it"
I've had so much help from everyone that you can't just name one.
"Yes it's FAST, NO you can't drive" is right on my car. :D

Things are starting to go back together. Getting parts back from powder coat and installed the bushings from @Gsx-Dude. They were a breeze to install and are going to make everything stiff but not as harsh as the solid bushings. I literally can’t say enough about the amazing community we have to make these cars so fun to drive and keep them on the road!!!

1625540574104.jpeg

1625540598686.jpeg

1625540624066.jpeg

Here goes a long one. I made a lot of progress over the past two weeks. Hung the front subframe and figured…. Why not just go ahead and hang the transfer case and driveshaft hahahaaha! So that’s what I did. I know that sounds like the next logical steps but as most of you know, working alone in the garage, sometimes the big jobs take A LOT of building and hyping up to LOL. I have tons of tips and tricks for anyone that finds this build so please reach out to me with ANY questions you may have about it.

1626138095694.jpeg

1626138052039.jpeg

1626138120195.jpeg

Hardest part to me was supporting the driveshaft with two hands, and two jacks and then getting it in the transfer case, all while trying to keep it level so there is no pressure on the bearings etc. In case anyone is wondering as well, yes everything is OEM Mitsubishi with the exception of the bushings in everything.

1626138174115.jpeg

1626138197412.jpeg

1626138220640.jpeg

Looking really nice underneath dude. Your not going to want to drive it and get it dirty in anyway once its all done

Looking really nice underneath dude. Your not going to want to drive it and get it dirty in anyway once its all done

That has definitely crossed my mind LOL. Especially when I get back under it once in a while and notice a little dirt or smudge somewhere and I am like oh hell no.. so I spend another 30mins cleaning under it hahahaha. BUT, it may come about soon that MAYBE someone else will worry about that…….

Fantastic build! Beautiful!

I do have to say that watching some of these super in depth builds always makes me sad and demotivated LOL. Having spent so much time in the garage restoring (not to this level) my DSMs I can attest that builds like these take a LOT of time. I spend hours of time restoring and cleaning something not even half this level and it takes hours of blood sweat and tears. Props to you for doing this, I have always wanted to dig deep into a build like this...maybe one day.

Fantastic build! Beautiful!

I do have to say that watching some of these super in depth builds always makes me sad and demotivated LOL. Having spent so much time in the garage restoring (not to this level) my DSMs I can attest that builds like these take a LOT of time. I spend hours of time restoring and cleaning something not even half this level and it takes hours of blood sweat and tears. Props to you for doing this, I have always wanted to dig deep into a build like this...maybe one day.

NO way man!! Don't be discouraged or demotivated!!! That's like that complete opposite of why I post the updates haha!! ANY WORK on these cars in amazing man. Keep on going and no matter what you see other people do, please understand that you are helping me and US all in the community by doing whatever you can just as much as I am. My blood sweat and tears are not worth anymore or less than yours are dude and if you ever need anything from us or me please do not hesitate to reach out!

Finally got the rear brakes installed and shimmed. I used the evo X brembo rears and I do NOT recommend trying to make them work LOL. Just save the time and money and buy the evo 7-9 ones. Ended up having to modify the dust shields a little more than I would have liked and also the mounting bolts are a pain. BUT, got it done and one more thing off the list.

1628740937624.jpeg

Also finally got around the rebuilding the half shaft once I got it back from powder coating. Had everything stripped and coated then installed the new oem bearing. Harbor freight press has been a life saver and worth its weight in gold for a diy person in the garage!

1628742561901.jpeg

Well I realized today that I should have definitely installed the rm sway bar BEFORE I hung the diff and drive shaft. Got it in after some persuasion from the passenger side, but it’s in and tacked up until I get the knuckles in. Also still loving the aluminum brackets.

1628804762581.jpeg

1628804784943.jpeg

Kinda hard to see but I also installed the half shaft for the driver’s axle.

This thread is amazing!! I'm following this same process on my 98 GSX. And also on jack stands... What brand seam sealer did you use? Currently debating whether a brushable seam sealer will be easier to apply.

This thread is amazing!! I'm following this same process on my 98 GSX. And also on jack stands... What brand seam sealer did you use? Currently debating whether a brushable seam sealer will be easier to apply.

I used the por15 seams sealer. I wanted something that would seal extremely well and would last forever. Definitely better than the oem crap they smeared around on the car. The por15 was super easy to apply and when it dried it was freaking ROCK hard. Again, takes forever to dry so just have to be patient before you cover/paint over it.

Last edited:
Making more progress slowly, but one step at a time. HUUUUUUGGGE thank you goes out to @Paul@RTM and Ziggy for hooking me up with the amazing Wilwood kit. They are the only place I found the black zinc rotors and even though Wilwood is back ordered they still got them to me!!! Can’t thank them enough for keeping the dsm community on the road.

1629854427300.jpeg

So knuckles are back from powder coat and installing the new hubs/dust shields. Install says to remove them but I want to modify them to be able to use them still. Took some trimming and fitting but got it worked out.

1629854545630.jpeg

(For the eagle eye, the dust shields are backwards for now, fixed it before install LOL)

1629854604129.jpeg

Waiting for final paint to dry before I mount the adapter brackets on the knuckles. More to come.
Btw the install instructions online are awful. If anyone reads this and has ANY questions please let me know. There is ONE write up on here about them but it says mainly refer to the Wilwood instructions.

Had some time to wrench this past Monday and Tuesday and got the brakes mounted and shimmed to center. The process was pretty straight forward and I feel like I got super lucky. I wanted to retain the oem dust shield but was worried it would be too thick and would space the caliper too far and not center. Turns out that on my car with the shield and one .005 shim it centered with no issues. So got 90% of the front suspension back in and just waiting on the @Flatout Suspension coils/springs to come in tomorrow! Also again, thanks to @Paul@RTM for hooking me up with this kit!

1630632574626.jpeg

1630632601094.jpeg

1630632630044.jpeg

1630632656087.jpeg

Last edited:
Super excited about getting the shocks/springs in from @Flatout Suspension! Can’t wait to get them put on over my weekend. The quality is amazing and they include this sick build sheet and quality control sheet. More to come when I get them mounted as well and how I set them up. Never installed and dialed in coilovers so pumped to learn on this amazing platform.

1630884063336.jpeg

Ok, finally got time to slide these bad boys in and man look good and the quality is top notch. I really can’t wait to finally get them dialed in at a professional shop. Everything went together pretty well. Just a small amount of wrestling with the torsion bar and links. Have the setup to just a general ballpark on height but have no idea what height that is until I get the car off the jacks LOL. Waiting on a welder for my radiator support repair and then it will be time to button everything up and drop the car!

1631230712725.jpeg

1631230736004.jpeg

Ok been a while since I did an update and there has been HUGE progress since then suspension went on. So here goes…

After calling around and asking for a mobile service to come out and help me with some welding I need done, I just said f*** it and bought on hahahaha. I kept either getting ignored or given insane price quotes (which is basically saying I don’t want to do it) so decided to learn a new skill and invest in myself instead. After a shit load of YouTube and practice I finally felt comfortable doing it and sooo happy with how it turned out.

1637017725126.jpeg

After cutting this out I also noticed that there is possible hidden surface rust behind parts so took some time to neutralize the entire area and then paint

1637017875455.jpeg

My setup. Running .23 wire.

1637017928907.jpeg

It’s tough given how thin the metal is but for those reading that want to try this yourself the big key here is go slow!!!! Tac it in by going from the thicker metal over the the thin, then start making quick spot welds over and over. Only do three then move to cool the metal. Just take your time and move on. Do not keep the heat too long in one spot.

Here is the rocker panel..

1637018235943.jpeg

1637018295579.jpeg

1637018329199.jpeg

1637018364754.jpeg

1637018392968.jpeg

1637018436297.jpeg

And here is the finished front end after grinding and a small amount of bondo. Then painted. So happy with it.

1637018554966.jpeg

More to come.. have a HUGE project in mind next….

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back