The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Trying to get valves and lash adjusters out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16G1G4G63Talon

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2009
Ashland, Kentucky
im tryin to take out valves and lash adjusters and some of my lash adjusters (3 to be exact) are stuck in the ports and i cant seem to make them budge...what would you all suggest to get them out...also what would be the best way to pull these valves out because a regular valve spring compressor wont fit down far enough to reach them....ive tried air pressure to get the lash adjusters out, but no success.....please help

is the head off the car?

get a hammer and a long socket. Put the socket on top of the retainers and hit with moderate strength. it always works for me

is the head off the car?

get a hammer and a long socket. Put the socket on top of the retainers and hit with moderate strength. it always works for me

I done mine this way and it really works except I put a small magnet in side the socket to attract the keepers. On about the third one you really get a feel for it and you start to fly.:thumb:

Also here's a thread on how to remove lifters or lash adjusters.
Once every thing is out the way they should just lift out.
I've done a few and the most I've encountered is a bit of suction due to a tight fit.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/265060-how-replace-lash-adjusters-lifters.html

Last edited by a moderator:
well the lash adjusters are stuck in the ports and the tips that make contact with the rocker arm on stock lash adjusters broke off...and i dont know how to get em out

Do the socket thing as said before for the springs. I think its like a 24mm socket. As for the lifters I would let some PB Blaster soak in for a while then use vice grips. You may also want to throw the head in the oven if its off the car. That lets the metals expand and breaks things loose. Also a quick heavy blow with a sledge hammer helps loosen things as well. GL

I actually had a the lifter stick in the head so bad one I pulled the top piece of the lifter off completely... so I put jb weld int he lifter and a bolt. The engine was in the car so kinda braced myself on top of the car where I could and with vice grips pulled it finally came out and I flew backwards on top of the roof of the car. it worked in a pinch.. kinda a hack move but never the less it worked. i picked up the idea from somebody else this happened to haha.

This should help you out.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...0856-anyone-used-valve-spring-compressor.html

The bolt on compressor can damage the cam caps, but it is viable to use if you are careful.

If you can't get the lifter out, take it to a machine shop and see what they say or what they can do about it if it is indeed that stuborn to come out. Heat works wonders; heat around the lifter and keep it lubricated so you can pull it out when the outside metal expands off of it.

for the stuck HLA, soak in PB or your fave penatraint fluid then take an air blower and place the tip into the oil relife hole on the boss of the HLA bore and shoot with compressed air... stand back, some times when they come out they will fly.. if this dosnt work, or the HLA moves just a bit.. take a hammer and knock it back down and shoot with air again, also you can "bounce" a hammer on the HLA as you shoot air at it

Having trouble with my lifters as well i just bought my 93 eclipse gs last week and im excited! and ready to start modding!! well almost. i need to fix these lifters first ha
try the link debbie put on here it seems very very useful!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back