The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Trying to get a NYS inspection but having issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacolu3

Proven Member
Jan 31, 2015
Lake Grove, New_York
So I brought my 2g dsm in today to have a cat put in and get an inspection. So they put in a cat and then try to connect to my ecu, and it kept on failing to connect. So I try to connect my laptop and my laptop connects no problem. Then I turn off lock in ecmlink mode expecting this to solve the problem. It did not. They still couldnt connect.
Any ideas why my laptop will connect no problem but the shop cant connect?
Also im siming my wideband for my front o2 sensor and am getting a CEL. Anyway around this?
And last question, I drove my car for 50 miles on the highway to get my ecu ready after putting the Cat on and the ecu is still not ready. Do I need to drive more, or do something special to get the ecu ready?

Thanks in advance

Brian

If you have ECMlink you should of just been able to disable all of those relevant codes in the DTCs tab. Trying using a handheld code reader and see if you have connectivity there to eliminate their hardware. (I'm not sure if the ECMlink cable uses all pins)

I do have v3 link. The only code I was showing was front o2 sensor. When I got home I connected this iphone thing that is used to read codes and worked. Maybe I had to wait a little while?

It's possible, I wish you lived closer because I have a portable OBDII connector. You should be able to uncheck boxes in the DTC tabs under the ecuconfig section (forgive me for rough terms I'm at work and can't check anything)

I've had those boxes unchecked for a while but now I've checked them so I can pass inspection. Trying to get the cat to the ready status and rear o2.

I don't understand.. maybe it's cause I have a 1g but I thought you could just leave those unchecked and it wouldn't show up. as long as the check engine light isn't on it doesn't matter?

I don't understand.. maybe it's cause I have a 1g but I thought you could just leave those unchecked and it wouldn't show up. as long as the check engine light isn't on it doesn't matter?
I wish that was the case. But the monitors have to be ready in the ecu, which they're not, that's why there is no cel.

Ahhhh. Yeah that would make sense.. I always thought guys running rear 02s could just uncheck the box and then it wouldn't show up, I know subaru guys *HAD* an ability in COBB to "force readiness monitors* but they got too big and the EPA sued them for dodging emissions....

I was under the impression ECMlink had something similar.. @Dsmkauai any thoughts? I'm not a 2g guy but ik you have two of them.

Is it having connection issues or readiness issues? 96-98 models can usually be exempt from readiness monitors depending on the technician and if they feel like doing it. Just gotta show them the Mitsubishi TSB.

Ya you can turn off the front and rear o2 I don't run one in my gst. I'm also using a wideband in my front and use narrowband sim. Op are you using narrowband sim in ecmlink or on your wideband controller? Sounds like you don't have all the correct tabs and settings checked In link.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/v3narrowbandsim

Last edited:
Is it having connection issues or readiness issues? 96-98 models can usually be exempt from readiness monitors depending on the technician and if they feel like doing it. Just gotta show them the Mitsubishi TSB.

I was having both. Right now I was able to get my two o2 sensors ready but after 100 miles of driving I still don't have my cat ready. And I think it was connecting because I had to turn the car on and off a few times to get out of link mode.

Ya you can turn off the front and rear o2 I don't run one in my gst. I'm also using a wideband in my front and use narrowband sim. Op are you using narrowband sim in ecmlink or on your wideband controller? Sounds like you don't have all the correct tabs and settings checked In link.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/v3narrowbandsim

I am using narrowband sim. I found out if I just plug in the front o2 sensor and leave it tucked away in the engine bay I won't get a cel.
Just need to get my cat to be ready and then hopefully pass the inspection.

Might as well go now. You are allowed up to 2 not ready codes to pass inspection.

Ahhhh. Yeah that would make sense.. I always thought guys running rear 02s could just uncheck the box and then it wouldn't show up, I know subaru guys *HAD* an ability in COBB to "force readiness monitors* but they got too big and the EPA sued them for dodging emissions....

I was under the impression ECMlink had something similar.. @Dsmkauai any thoughts? I'm not a 2g guy but ik you have two of them.

You can't force the monitors in V3, you technically can't in V2 either. If you used the palm pilot logging app with V2 you could force them to ready.

This isn't a thing. I am a new york state inspector and you can't get a waiver for readiness. We don't "decide" to give you an emission pass or fail. It's built in to the machine. You can only get a waiver for spending a certain amount of money on a check engine dtc without it being resolved. Not to mention almost no shop will do it because it's a huge red flag when you start handing out waivers. The only thing you get is a temporary paper to drive for monitor readiness only. Buy a 50 dollar scanner that does OBDII PID's and monitors. You'll save yourself reinspection fees and not have to sweat it. That TSB just tells you how to set the specific monitors and the LOP's to get paid 20 years ago when the car was under warranty LOL. It's a good guide so follow it with a scanner and just tell them not to shut the car off during the inspection.

This isn't a thing. I am a new york state inspector and you can't get a waiver for readiness. We don't "decide" to give you an emission pass or fail. It's built in to the machine. You can only get a waiver for spending a certain amount of money on a check engine dtc without it being resolved. Not to mention almost no shop will do it because it's a huge red flag when you start handing out waivers. The only thing you get is a temporary paper to drive for monitor readiness only. Buy a 50 dollar scanner that does OBDII PID's and monitors. You'll save yourself reinspection fees and not have to sweat it. That TSB just tells you how to set the specific monitors and the LOP's to get paid 20 years ago when the car was under warranty LOL. It's a good guide so follow it with a scanner and just tell them not to shut the car off during the inspection.

Well, I guess thats a communist NY and CA smog thing. Exempts are handed out left and right in philadelphia. Never have trouble with any of my cars. :D There is tons of information out there about these cars being exempt from readiness codes....

Also this if from AllData.
http://repair.alldata.com/online2he...view/OBDII_Emission_Test_Reference_Tables.htm

EPA (says to ignore readiness monitors and just check for CEL Ill)
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPdf.cgi?Dockey=P1002K53.pdf

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPdf.cgi?Dockey=P1002KRN.pdf
"1996 - 1998 Mitsubishi vehicles - These vehicles may have a high degree of “Not Ready” for catalyst monitor due to a “trip based” design. Mitsubishi has provided driving cycles in its service information to allow monitors to operate. These vehicles should be scanned for MIL illumination without regard to readiness status."

So a little update
I couldnt get my cat to be ready. So I said F it and let me just see what happens.
So both my o2s were ready but my egr doesnt exist any more and my temporay cat was still not ready after 200 miles.
Brought it in and passed with no problem. What a relief!!!!
Now I know for next time not to worry about the cat being ready which takes forever to.
For NY at least if both of your o2s are ready you should pass.

-Brian

Forgot to tell you, being a 97 only a few of the monitors have to be ready. @Puller should be able to give a breakdown of what years allow what for readiness monitors but I know my 2000 chevy blazer would never pass because it always throws a code for EGR, but because that's the last one to set I can always time it to get it inspected before the CEL trips.. something about a 00 can have one monitor not ready yet.

Cars 2000 and older are allowed 2 not ready codes. 2001+ are only allowed 1. Doenst matter what monitor it is. Lots of people "cheat" emissions with this knowledge. Clear codes, drive around until all but two monitors are ready,pray you dont throw a code, and get the car inspected right away. Even so our 96-98 cars are readiness monitor exempt. Not all state inspectors know this so you might have to bring it to their attention.

He's correct. If you have an evap code you can clear the DTCs and keep the tank above 3/4 and it won't run the evap test ever. You could also keep it below 1/4 but that could hurt the fuel pump if you're too low on fuel for too long. I got many different cars with evap codes for small leaks - p0442 - through inspection this way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back