The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Trying to decide on a muffler. please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon_Tid_Tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2006
Houston, Texas
Well I have ben on a bying frezy here lately. Now I'm trying to decide on a muffler. I will have a tubular header,evo iii 16g turbo,evoiii o2 housing ported,3inch downpipe, and 3inch exhaust to the rear. I am wanting to know what muffler would be recomended for a nice deep tone that sounds mean, I will run a hi-flow cat, and a resonator if I have to. I DO NOT want that annoying buzzing sound. I was looking at the apexi N1, HKS, greddy, or maybe Tsudo. I was wanting to know what others in there exhaust, that have a nice deep tone, and maybe that will help me out. Thanks:cool: :talon:

apex n1 is what i have and its deep nothing like the buzzing sound like honda's have. let me know how that tublar header works out for you I'm not sure weather i want to get one or just get one of those or just get the evo 3 or something like that.

I agree no resonator, Mine is not raspy at all very deep and mean. Also the cams make her sound pissed off :)

As long as you have a catlytic converter, you can probably get away without the resonator. Without one, you may get the Honda noise...

I have an apex down pipe with full 3 inch exhaust with no cat and it sounds really good. Oh that was with an apexN1 exhaust as well.

I have a full 3" turbo-back with no cat and/or resonators with a n1 muffler. Its really deep but pretty loud. The turbo howls through it as well and im only running a 14b @ 9lbs. Its hard to get a raspy sound on a turbo car. Its more deep but its loud. good luck.

apex n1 is what i have and its deep nothing like the buzzing sound like honda's have. let me know how that tublar header works out for you I'm not sure weather i want to get one or just get one of those or just get the evo 3 or something like that.

I will let ya know. I'm from houston too, if u wanna ever hang out let me know. I stay on the westside. Any places to hang out on the weekends? Also thanks guys for all your replies:D :talon:

I have the Greddy unit, three inch from the turbo back and high flow cat. I love the sound of it really really deep at idle and low revs still deep but with a nice turbo scream when i hit boost. I would put a resonator in if I wasn't running a cat but thats just me, from what it sounds like most systems sound great on these turbo cars.

You can look into the megan mufflers as well. They have 2 types of 3" inlet ones, the N1 style thats so popular and the TI burnt tip style both are usually less expensive than larger brand companies (apexi)

I have the Apexi N1 muffler and it sounds mean. I have a ported 2g o2 housing, 3"downpipe, and press bent 3" catback.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoTNyeQ7cxs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoTNyeQ7cxs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

My dad owns a muffler shop so i have tried different types of mufflers from no name brand to Apex(all sound pretty much the same). For a turbo eclipse you will never get that raspy sound like a NT Eclipse. Since you are running a full 3 inch exhuast get a muffler with a 3 inch inlet and 3 inches straight thru (some mufflers reduces down to 2 1/4inch inside the muffler), adding a resonator will make your exhuast a lil bit quieter outside but a lil louder inside the cabin. Most mufflers are made with fiberglass packing like the N1 style, it all depends on how much fiberglass they put in there.. less fiberglass, it will sound like a flowmaster haha like my car right now. I am looking to buy the Megan racing carbon fiber N1 stylr muffler it comes with a 2.9 inch inlet(muffler shop can always expand the inlet to slip over a 3inch)

I will let ya know. I'm from houston too, if u wanna ever hang out let me know. I stay on the westside. Any places to hang out on the weekends? Also thanks guys for all your replies:D :talon:

I'm closer to the Katy area I haven't lived here that long but if you know of some places let me know I'm still getting to know the area

I have the Thermal R&D catback on my car and the sound of it is amazing. Nice and deep and very sexy.

I have to agree....after hearing different exhaust's including magnaflows,n1's,greddy's.....I have to say thermal R&D is the best sounding mufflers/exhaust system I have heard on a DSM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back