The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Trouble with idleing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexsimpson440

Probationary Member
May 15, 2014
Anoka, Minnesota
I recently bought a 92 Eagle Talon. There were some problems with it. One was an idle surge. My brother and I went down the list of things that could be wrong and we found that there was not a BISS screw. There was a bolt in the place but it didn't do much. We went to the junk yard and found one and went back to see if that fixed it. We put it in and it seemed to work. We then adjusted it to 750 rpms and it stayed. We then preceded to put a wideband AFR gauge in. There was already a bung welded to the exhaust with a bolt in it. We took the bolt out and put the O2 sensor in. Got it all wired up. We then went to go for a test drive, but then noticed that it is now idling at 1100-1300 rpm. We tried to adjust the BISS screw again but this time the rpm wouldnt drop anymore. Also when you press the gas the RPM wants to drop and kill the engine. Any ideas?

Here is a link that I have used personally, and have recommended to others with success.
http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/tttt/tttt3.html

Also the ignition plug(located directly behind the battery) should be grounded out when setting base idle speed/base ignition timing.

Hope the above link helps, if nothing seems to change reply back with results and we'll be able to help you further.

Welcome to the site!

Have you done a boost leak test with soapy water. If not it would be a good time to do one.

I will be doing a boost leak test soon. When I rev the engine sometimes and every-once and a while there will be a very annoying squeal. I thought it was a belt but unsure if that could be a leak of some sort. The surge seems to be on and off. I plan to go through the IAC and see if that is clean. Ill keep updated.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back