The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Trouble starting, light smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fmstrat

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 17, 2003
Apex, North_Carolina
The fun never ends. After my turbo/manifold gasket blew, I replace it, go to start car, and it won't crank. The car sat for 3 weeks. The starter spins and I hear it trying to turn over, and you hear the exhaust noise you hear right before it would normally crank. Also, there seems to be a small bit of smoke coming from somewhere near the front of the motor, like near the turbo. I was thinking it was the starter going bad maybe, but it seems to far forward. I can't get a goo d look at where it's originating from. It only happens when your trying to start the car, not when you have the ignition on.

Any ideas?

Ok first you say that it wont crank, but then you say the starter is spinning. So your starter is turning and its not catching the flywheel and cranking the motor?

Or is it actually cranking the motor but not starting?

If its just not cranking but you hear the starter trying to turn, it could be because your battery is too low and not getting enough juice to turn the crank.

Yea, the way I said that was confusing. It is cranking, but not starting. I've tried jumping it, tried bypassing the battery using the one from my truck, too. I've also tried starter fluid, no luck. I'm trying to find a spark plug socket deep enough for my plugs so I can check them, too.

I noticed this time that there is smoke coming out the tailpipe when trying to start. I'm assuming from the look of it that it's vaporized gasoline that's not getting burnt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back