The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Trouble getting into gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenmeanie99

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
I have difficulties getting my car into gear sometimes it will go in if I double clutch but I cant figure it out. WHen I do get it into gear starting out seams really differentalmostlike the clutch is even lighter than it already is.

Generally when you have to double clutch to get it into gear means the synchronizers are bad. Look for brass specs in your tranny fluid. This would be a sign of wear, and not necessarily indicate bad synchro's, though.

But that would not effect the feel once it it in gear.
Air in the hydraulic system could cause it to become difficult to get into gear as well, and have a light pedal feel.

As far as that goes, i would first bleed the clutch. See if that helps.

Other than that, I would inspect the rods, then the clutch assembly (and fork and such).

greenmeanie99 said:
starting out seams really differentalmostlike the clutch is even lighter than it already is.
Glazing or worn pucks will make the engine feel lighter, the first sign of a gently slipping clutch.

If everything involving the clutch is ok, you could pull your tranny apart and eyeball the synchro's.

I checked the lock not for the clutch pedal, the pedal just about drops to the floor. My suspicsion is the master/slave cylinder.

I have a brand new clutch with like 150 miles on it so I doubt its worn so far, since I havent tried launching it yet or chirping the tires.

There is def air in my lines most likely due to a bad seal, if it was just a single pocket it probably would have worked itself out by now. I just wish I new which cylinder it was.:notgood:

Inspect them both for external leaks. This would be obvious which is bad after examining, if the leak is external. (dont forget to check where the master mounts to the firewall, and inside the vehicle where the rod comes through)

One test you can do on the clutch master is you have somebody depress the clutch in the vehicle while you watch the fluid level in the reservoir. If the fluid level rises while the clutch is being depressed, the master is bad.

These are about the only way to check these, without removing and disassembling for inspection, that I am aware of.

I did notice there was an excessive amount of fluid coming through the firewall to the clutch pedal assembly but yea I'll check it out later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back