The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Trouble finding a replacement exhaust for a 4G63 GS in Europe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doomchild

Proven Member
Sep 1, 2016
Ypres, Europe
The exhaust on my car is in need of replacement.
So far I've managed to find a replacement catalytic converter (current one looks like it's about to drop from the car). the other parts are giving me a serious head-ache.

my main problems are
1) all GS/RS or Non-Turbo exhaust parts I can find are for the 420A engine, not the 4G63. And I can't find any information on how interchangeable the parts are. does the downpipe match up with the 4G63 exhaust manifold?
2) all vendors are located in the US and either don't ship to my location, the shipping prices are twice the price of the parts (not including import fees which will be equally pricey) or the item is simply listed as 'no longer available'.
3) most parts I find are complete systems which may or may not fit the original parts. my muffler is still in good condition and changing the muffler to an after market one is guaranteed to see my car fail inspection.

I've managed to find a downpipe and center pipe replacement (Walker Exhaust) fairly cheap but ended up having my order cancelled and they are no longer listed on the website.

my question is, will a downpipe for a 420A fit my car and does anyone know where to find the parts I need?
currently looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Muffler-Catback-Manifold/dp/B00PVVWWW2 but despite the confusing product title, I'm fairly certain this is for a 420A engine and not sure I would be able to fit my OE muffler.

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_142245.jpg
    IMG_20190711_142245.jpg
    700.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20190711_142252.jpg
    IMG_20190711_142252.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 59
Hey, the exhaust systems for a GST also fits the EU GS ;)

I don't know for certain, but I don't believe the 420a downpipe will fit the Euro spec GS, though it may be easily modified for this.

The other option(s) are to use a Spyder GS exhaust (4g64) and I'd expect it to be very close to your car, or have an exhaust custom made locally, which usually runs $250-400 here in the states depending on a few factors.

Look for the Spyder exhausts and you might have better luck comparing pics.

after more searching I've found the following downpipe that seems to fit. I can't get a clear picture of the current situation but it looks like an identical flange. (possible fit from the gallant 4g64?)

any aftercat that has a similar connection to the muffler should work as well, I guess

Attachments

• Downpipe.png
    Downpipe.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The GS/RS in America has the 420a engine, thats why your finding the 420a parts, as mentioned the Spyder GS, would work, since its 4G based and there are alot of clean ones around since they didnt get driven in the winter as often, and as you said the parts such as the converter are likely no longer available from Mitsubishi, they wouldnt have been a big seller due to the price (likely $1000 or close) when new, so they get discontinued and tossed in the scrap pile quickly, there are aftermarket converters available, but beware that most Japanese cars use a double converter and the cheapo aftermarket parts dont work the same.

You wont find a brand new OEM exhaust replacement for the Eclipse anywhere in Europe. Your best, most cost-effective and easiest option is to go to your nearest exhaust shop and ask them to make you a brand new system. I am 99% sure the GS uses a 2.25" (57mm) exhaust pipe diameter all the way through. Buy the new catalytic converter, and have them weld on brand new pieces of pipe and follow the same curves. They can dismount your whole exhaust system and fabricate one using it as a reference. Also, if you intend on going bigger than 2.25", like, 2.5" or even 3", definitely install another resonator further down the line, maybe a bit after the rear O2 sensor.

These cars are not only old, but very few were ever imported officially in the EU, so finding brand new OEM parts and assemblies such as a full exhaust setup is impossible.

Also, I really love that snowy pic you've taken! I don't think I ever saw that much snow while I was in Belgium, LOL.

I was just about to email a local shop that fabricates exhausts, I've found some parts that may fit but vehicle inspections here can be a real pain and i'm fairly sure that slapping an aftermarket exhaust on my car is gonna make things difficult on my next inspection.
I have found the workplace manual for my car and it shows the individual pieces of the exhaust system but no measures or serial numbers though
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the snowy pic is my favorite picture of my car :) it was a freak snow day that took us all by surprise, left that morning with clear skies and got back home at noon after spending nearly 2 hours on a trip that usually takes 30 minutes. with the snow on the car it looked like I had raced through it even though I probably never went above 30kmph :p the snow was gone the next day

edit: if there's interest, I can upload the manual I found, either here or provide a link to a download. It's specific to the 2ga EU GS, it's in pdf format, every chapter is a separate file.

Last edited:
This is the website you want to use for diagrams and part numbers specific to your VIN. Put your whole VIN up in the top left box and click the gray button to the right of it. From there, you can just navigate each category and subgroup to your choosing (ignore the random Russian words you see).

http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/mi/mi2.mycat?SelVh

update: had the entire exhaust redone by a local shop, fabricated front to back. just got back from picking it up and I gotta say, I spent the entire ride home with the windows down and a smile on my face. it sounds incredible (the shop owner said he'd never had a car that sounded that good and was jealous of the end result but that may just have been him patting himself on the back). I live in an area where Historic Rally is pretty popular (and where old timers are really the only viable tuner cars due to regulations) and was slightly worried that the car would end up sounding like one of the wailing banshees that tend to roam the area during rally season. But turns out the sound is pretty decent, a nice low (though somewhat loud) rumble, really love the end result. For the muffler tips I opted to maintain the look the car had. don't know if the dual tipped exhaust was OEM but it looked good and the new one is almost identical though somewhat better spaced.

ended up paying €1200 for everything (slightly higher than the initial estimate, they ran into some clearance issues over the back axle).

thanks again to everyone here for your suggestions and help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back