The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Trivia Question! First turbocharged cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebirdvert305

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2005
Davenport, Florida
With no answer cuz i dunno the answer myself....Well guys i was sitting home b/c hurricane dennis :notgood: wondering what the first 5 or maybe 10 (if u know them) cars that was available turbo? Was the 1983 conquest/starion one of the 1st? Dodge colt turbo on that list maybe? If u know post up. :thumb:

We'll just work backwards from the ones you mentioned so if anyone has an earlier turbo car than the one mentioned in a previous post describe it.

Before those there was a Turbo Firebird, Volvo started using turbos in the mid to late 70s, and before that in the 60s buick had a turbo car and the Corvair could be ordered with a turbo. So that puts at least 4 cars before any Mitsubishi product was sold turbocharged in the States.

corvair was optioned turbo as well???

BMW 2002 tii

First turbo charged passenger cars were the corvair monza, and the Oldsmobile Jetfire.. 1962/63

First turbocharged passenger diesel's were the Mercedes 300sd 1978.
VW Golf TD 1981.

Forgot about that one, does anyone know of any factory turbo offerings in the 50s excluding large trucks.

There was a supercharged car in the 20's. I forget the name though, I saw it on that car show on the history chanel hosted by that wrestler. And the first turbo charged anything was a the "turbania", a boat built by the guy that invented the turbine, saw that on KQED last night when i couldn't sleep :rocks:
me for teh win :cool:

scirio said:
There was a supercharged car in the 20's. I forget the name though, I saw it on that car show on the history chanel hosted by that wrestler. And the first turbo charged anything was a the "turbania", a boat built by the guy that invented the turbine, saw that on KQED last night when i couldn't sleep :rocks:
me for teh win :cool:

Good job, but we were talking about passenger cars. Not boats, or planes. Also supercharged vs. Turbocharged are two different animals...

Good info tho :thumb:

sherloc123 said:
bmw made a turbo charged car? any pics?
Compression Ratio 6.9:1

Schafer PL 04 Mechanical Fuel Injection with KKK BLD Turbocharger, operating @7psi.

Max Power 170PS @ 5,800 rpm, 179ib/ft Torque @ 4,000 rpm.

4 Speed Gearbox (5 Optional).

Total built: 1672

Chassis Nos. From 4 290 001 to 4 291672 Jan 1974 to June 1975

Performance: 0-60 mph (0-100 kph) 6.9 secs. Top Speed 130 mph (211kph)

Available in Polaris Silver or Chamonix White.

Price when new: 20,780 Marks.

Bucket front seats.

Wheels: 5.5 J x 13

Tyres: 185/70 VR13

On the show Rides, Jay leno had some late 20's early 30's car that was twin turbo and Jon from tre said the first turbo mitsu was a 1979 model but I dont know the name.

jay leno had an old 20's car that was turbocharged.

pretty sure it was a bentley!

dirk3 said:
First turbo charged passenger cars were the corvair monza, and the Oldsmobile Jetfire.. 1962/63.

What does he win?

Since we're playing auto trivia, name the AMC car that was originally supposed to be powered by a rotary engine.

Burnett03 said:
pretty sure it was a bentley!
Bentley only used Roots-type superchargers until recent times. Same for Bugatti and Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg. Avanti and Studebaker used Paxton centrifugal-vane blowers, as did the 1910 Chadwick, the first supercharged American car. Judson used to make little superchargers for VW Beetles, MGs and the like, little smog-pump-like air pumps with fabric-reinforced composite vanes. They could be good for 5-10 hp, which doesn't seem like much-- until you stop to consider this was on a 30-hp engine.

jp171 said:
What company built the first FWD rotary-powered production car?

NSU

It just told me my post had to have at least four character in it! I guess it keeps people from just poting "LOL"

Defiant said:
Bentley only used Roots-type superchargers until recent times. Same for Bugatti and Auburn/Cord/Duesenburg. Avanti and Studebaker used Paxton centrifugal-vane blowers, as did the 1910 Chadwick, the first supercharged American car. Judson used to make little superchargers for VW Beetles, MGs and the like, little smog-pump-like air pumps with fabric-reinforced composite vanes. They could be good for 5-10 hp, which doesn't seem like much-- until you stop to consider this was on a 30-hp engine.

Its this obscure, out of the way and yet DAMN detailed information that i love the old fat geezer for :thumb:

What was the year Mitsubishi of Japan first started manufacturing automobiles?

Ken said:
What was the year Mitsubishi of Japan first started manufacturing automobiles?

i'm not sure on that, but i know Mitsubishi cars weren't sold under the Mitsubishi name in the US until 1982

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back