The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

tried everything i could, still wont disengage!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidy3

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2005
upstate, New_York
I did a motor rebuild on my 91 awd last winter and put a new clutch kit and flywheel in also, since then my clutch will not disengage all the way. It worked for a couple weeks when I finished the car, then it worked for about 2 days when I changed the fluid and the slave cylinder and installed longer extension rod.

Here is what I have tried...

Replaced -
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Slave cylinder extension rod (installed the longer rod)
Bled all fluid out twice to make sure no air in lines

Took out clutch pedal assembly and neither the square hole or the one that clutch master cylinder rod attatches to is worn at all.

I need to know what would need to be checked if I bring my car to a shop and have them look at it.

What I have read is that it could either be the pressure plate or the clutch shift fork.

Any info will be very helpful, my car has been down for about a year with this problem

Thanks,

Domenic

-also if it matters the clutch kit that was installed was the sbr 3500 with act flywheel (incase there have been problems similar with that kit)

I had this same issue, I installed the SBR 4000 disk with an Act 2600 pressure plate. What was happening to me was cluch fork was hitting the inside of the bell housing before the disk was fully disengaged (Very common problem) the pivot ball needed to be shimmed with a washer or two. Here is how to check. Grab a friend, move the rubber boot at the base of the clutch for so you can see into the bell housing with a flashlight, have your friend press on the clutch and see if your cluch fork is hitting the ledge on the inside of the bell housing.....if so your going to have to shim the bivot ball, sorry to say but if this is so your going to have to pull the tranny again. Do yourself a favor though, change your clutch fork and pivot ball while you are at it. you don't want to be pulling your tranny over a $50 part. Best of luck.

See the bottom of this article:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back