The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Transmissions breaking point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeiros

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2006
East Moline, Illinois
So like every DSMer at one point or another, i wanted to build a million hp car and daily it. Then i got a dsmtuners account years ago and slowly read as much as i could on doing this, and like most, ive kind of changed my mind, LOL

So after selling it, and buying back my Talon twice, I recently decided to gut it out, and make it a 5% street car and 95% track car. As such, im trying to gauge the best method to build the car. Its currently got an old school journal bearing FP green on it. Ive always wanted to build a stroker, but after reading about the guy making 600awhp that was grenading Shep stage 4s with ease, i became leary. Truth be told, id love to hit 500hp, but considering this car isnt going to be just a drag car (id like to still autocross and maybe even track it some day) that's probably a pipe dream. I will shoot for a solid 450 though, which brings me to the meat of this.

Will a well built tranny hold up to that kind of power without blowing all the time on a stroker? And if so, whos still building them that I should consider? Boostin is only 3hrs away and id imagine they built their trans for the Demon but for all i know its a Shep in there. Since Shep and Jacks are out of the game, whos the go to these days?

Ive bought a stroker crank and a 98 split thrust block years ago, and id hate for it to have been a waste, but now that its go time, it's better to find out now than after i get the motor configuration (2.0 or 2.3L) done.

Thanks in advance. :)

Pretty much a 4-spider center diff, 91-92 style 3rd/4th gear conversion with heavier duty 3/4 hub and slider, along with a full rebuild. Typically classified as a Stage #3 on my webpage.

You may want to focus your build type type of "track" events you will mostly participate in.

If you plan to auto-cross the car, you should be looking to smaller frame turbo builds like the 16g range. A 500hp DSM would not be any fun auto-crossing. A short, tight course will barely let the turbo spool. Your build should focus more on handling and grip more than power. You won't be much more than 2nd gear.

If you want to do track days, again, power is not what you want to focus on. Handling, grip, brakes, and cooling are good places to focus.

Gear ratios may also be something to look into with auto-cross and track events in addition to "upgrades".

Thanks for the replies guys.

2gmitsu, the car will MOSTLY see drag duty, but I'd still like to have it somewhat suited to play the autocross game. I've never done a track day, and as such, it's one of those curiosities to me more so than a must for the cars build. This is why I thought about going a stroker route though, as I was hoping the extra displacement would help to spool the Green faster. As it is now, it's around 4-4200 at full hop, but thats on a externally gated 15psi spring and no tune. I've dealt with 4000ish full spools for autocross before on my old STI and it was bearable, but the gears were short due to the 6 speed so that might have helped. I've got no aspirations of winning nationals or what have you with the care, just to compete and it still be fun enough to drive in our local SCCA chapter.

Like I was saying though, I'm mostly worried about whether running between 400-500whp is going to be one of those tranny grenaders all the time, or if it will reasonably hold the power since these trans weren't built for that low and hard torque that the strokers make.

I know it hard to here but most of what people are saying will save you some heart break in the future. They say the same things to me. Im on my 4th motor and 3rd trans and 4th transfer case. The rear diff has held but not to menchen the yoke and drive shaft breaking. It seems like stock axels have been holding up the abuse i throw at them for now. But i can say i don't use reve limiters and pop my clutch. I just alow the clutch to slip and grab at 3-4k rpm. In 1st gear. Ive been looking at my 4g64 6bolt wanting to build it but the 2.0l beats up my drive train enough. But yes the extra displacement will help spool any turbo but cams and value lift help to also what manifolds you use and port work. Like my car i have 2 heads ported for different turbos.

I agree i have cut the dash in half to save weight LOL
Im looking at carbon fiber doors,hood,hatch, fiberglass finders and much much more.... Every gram lost makes my weight to power ratio better

Attachments

• IMG_20110117_094015.jpg
    IMG_20110117_094015.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Ive got the car from the seats back gutted, plan on gutting the dash out, and have a carbon fiber hood and hatch. :)

Ive got the car from the seats back gutted, plan on gutting the dash out, and have a carbon fiber hood and hatch. :)
The dash really had some weight in my car.
If it wasn't also my daily driver I'd remove all the Windows and put plastic in where they came out. I want a heater so im looking into a fix for that but i have no need for ac. Really i think doors hatch and hood are my next goles.after that frunt and rear subframes are getting build out of chromoly steel.

If you don't mind road noise you could buy some dry ice and put it on floor and wate 30min-one hour and hit it with a rubber mallet to remove the rubber sheet crap its much better than scraping the primer off the floor and having to re primer everything.

Dunno if I'm gonna go that in depth for the weight reduction, but the I plan on removing all the HVAC stuff from the dash and doors, the heater core, the AC, balance shaft, and get some light weight seats. I did look into getting the FAL rear hatch glass replacement, but unfortunately they don't make it anymore for 2G's. I have considered a rear sub frame replacement as well. I need to pull it anyway so I can drop the gas tank and my new fuel feed line.

^See that is how you kill a trans LOL added TQ from the stroker definitely won't help.

This is one of the reasons why I chose to keep my car a street car. With a good reliable maintained setup, you can keep up with most cars on the road and most of the time, hurt some feelings. Never saw the point of having a crazy race/track car just to make it to the track a few times a year, unless you're making money with it.

I will shoot for a solid 450 though, which brings me to the meat of this. whos the go to these days?

Thanks in advance. :)
Send it to me I'll build it for you, labor free you just buy the parts! I like to get on the map in this transmission game for sure. I believe in detail and quality. Craftsman by nature www.hmcwoodwork.com. Same principles will go into your transmission.:sneaky:

Dunno if I'm gonna go that in depth for the weight reduction, but the I plan on removing all the HVAC stuff from the dash and doors, the heater core, the AC, balance shaft, and get some light weight seats. I did look into getting the FAL rear hatch glass replacement, but unfortunately they don't make it anymore for 2G's. I have considered a rear sub frame replacement as well. I need to pull it anyway so I can drop the gas tank and my new fuel feed line.

Actually, Sergio has FAL rear hatch glass currently being made and is available with his carbon hatch, which he can install and send an assembled piece. There is also optic armor polycarbonate windows which I'm a dealer for.

On a side note, there is one thing I do miss from my days having more of a full street car, and that is a functioning defroster. Keep that in mind when you save your 25# from gutting the dash and hvac.

Send it to me I'll build it for you, labor free you just buy the parts! I like to get on the map in this transmission game for sure. I believe in detail and quality. Craftsman by nature www.hmcwoodwork.com. Same principles will go into your transmission.:sneaky:

Oh wow great woodwork man, the courthouse you did all by hand amazing, no doubt you'd be able to make some quality gearboxes for dsmers if you get some quality evo 3 gear sets custom made [mostly the ones that are nla] that would be hot to have in our transmissions.

No worries there Twicks, this car will only be driven for track duty or if it's a beauty of a day out. Beyond that, I've got a solid DD and a motorcycle for all the other nice days, haha.

As to the FAL glass, does this person (place?) sell them on their own? I've already got a carbon hatch, and by the time I bought the car back, I couldn't find a FAL rear window anymore.

Last edited:
Budget? It seems I been dumping a lot of money into my car to keep it at 450hp seems you may be better of switching to a different platform such as an evo for a autocross car might save money in long run. Suspension/brake parts are not cheap.

I'm not switching platforms. As for budget, I'm hoping to put 1,500-2000 a year into it over the next few years. I plan on drag duty but still want to suit it towards the other stuff. I'm aware of the cost as I've been doing the calculations for years. I'll upgrade things as needed for what I'm doing at the time. My main concern was just whether a stroker would be constantly killing a well built tranny at around 450-500awhp. If it's likely to, then I just cut my losses (not much) on the Stuff I have to build a stroker and just leave it a 2.0

If you have a limited budget, keep it a simple 2.0L. Like an Eagle/Ross combo. Off the shelf parts are your friend. The lower the torque, the longer your driveline will survive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back