The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

transmission will not line with the engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gtalonjem

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Terre Haute, Indiana
Alright, I finally have the engine together, its time to install the transmission. Both are out of the car right now, I figured this would be an easy step to get the engine into the engine bay. Well I thought wrong. For some odd reason I can not get the transmission to line up with the engine at all. I have tried everything I know and I still can not get it to line up. What am I doing wrong. Also there are two inserts on the engine that go into the transmission, they appear to be able to screw in a bolt however the one on the intake manifold side just under the starter does not have any threads in the transmission. What kind of bolt or stud do I need, or does the insert just go in there. This is my first engine rebuild so I am lacking the knowledge to do this part. If any of you DSM wisemen want to help, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to get the car running :cry: thank you for all you responses Jeff

IS this an auto or manual? The rear bolt goes in from the back. The threads are in the transmission case.

Im sorry this is a manual transmission. Under the intake manifold there is a hole but no threads, it looks as if there was supposed to be a stud there.

How is it not lining up? Any pics? What type of block and trans? You should be able to line it up using the 2 alignment dowels. One on the very front and one where your talking about under the intake.

I am using a 7bolt 4g63 and stock 5 speed transmission. I did use an alignment tool to install my clutch. Im sorry my car is at my parents, (a lot more room) so I do not have any pictures, but I can get the dowel on the exhaust side to go in and all of the bolts on top of the tranny to draw in. I can not get the dowel on the intake manifold to even come close, I also do not know if there is a bolt or stud that is supposed to be in that location. Also the tranny is not close to the tranny shroud to bolt on. I am so confused on this.

Subscribe to this guy. Look for the video where he re installs it. There should be two dowel pin. One behind the starter and one in front by the tranny mount. The way I did it was insert the top screws enough to prevent the tranny from falling and line up the front dowel pin.
Next I'll do the back dowel and kick the tranny in. I did it all myselfLOL.

Trans & Clutch 1 - Remove Transmission - YouTube

where the dowel is on the intake side, there are threads in the engine where I think that there is supposed to be a stud or bolt to secure the engine and tranny on that side.

Ignore the threads in the block for that bolt on the lower intake side. A smaller bolt (M8 x 1.25mm pitch x 60mm long to be exact, but smaller as compared to the other transmission mounting bolts which are M10 diameters) passes through that hole in the block, the alignment dowel, and threads into the transmission.

Try to keep the transmission as straight as possible axially to help it slide and pop into place. You may have to rotate it a bit to get the splines lined up.

I can't stress this enough. LUBE THE INPUT SHAFT AND THE CLUTCH SPLINES!

(Not too much, but you know)

Put vaseline on it if you have to.

I stopped kicking my transmissions on after I started using lube.

Also, I have a special tool I use to make transmission installs easier.
You can kind of see it right here.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's pretty much a threaded stud with a strong round metal circle on top.

It threads into one of the holes ontop of the transmission.

I used to use a cherrypicker to install them, but now it's so easy with that thing I can just muscle it in.

Other than that. Make sure all the bolts are in. All of the dowels, and MAKE sure that little clip on top of the water line that runs over the transmission and bolts to it is out of the way.

Its on the top right trans to engine bolt. It's just a little bendable clip, this has also given me problems.

I can install transmissions in my sleep, good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back