The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Transmission troubles!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5KeresUNOH

Probationary Member
Dec 17, 2013
Lancaster, Ohio
Okay so I'm trying to find a transmission for my 1990 talon tsi AWD. What are all of the spline count options that come on this year model? Because the shop told me I have a 24 spline tranny and I've been looking everywhere on the internet for a 24 spline option and all I can find is 21-23 spline transmissions for a 1990 talon tsi...

Okay so I'm trying to find a transmission for my 1990 talon tsi AWD. What are all of the spline count options that come on this year model? Because the shop told me I have a 24 spline tranny and I've been looking everywhere on the internet for a 24 spline option and all I can find is 21-23 spline transmissions for a 1990 talon tsi...

If someone swapped the 1GB transmission (24 spline) then you need to buy a 1GB transmission. 91-94 has the 24.

Why are you buying another transmission? Yours not working correctly? Why didn't you ship it out to one of the vendors, they can just fix yours most likely, and they know more then anyone about them.

Well pretty much all the internals in my transmission were destroyed from the person who had it before me. I wanted to just get a new gear set and put it in but the countershaft was mangled and the stationary thing that sits on the countershaft was broken. Is it possible to just swap the input shafts??

There have been too many bad posts about this. The input shafts are the same spline count in all years. The spline count everyone refers to is the output shaft that goes to the transfercase. There is no 21 or 24. There is 22 in a 90 and 23 in all other years except possibly very early 91s. There are other differences in internals, shifters etc. A 90 needs a 90 unless you change other external parts. Output shafts are also easy to swap if necessary.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back