The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission Pops Out of 1st Gear on Deceleration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachM31

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Moorhead, Minnesota
I tried searching the forums and didn't really find a clear answer to the problem that I am having.

For the last 4 years (that I can remember) my transmission will pop out of 1st gear if I accelerate and then let off the gas quick. It will also do this if I put it into first gear when I am traveling slowly (5 mph?) and let out the clutch. If I am traveling less than 5 mph then it will simply stay in first and I can drive the car at this pace, just as long as I don't let off the gas.

I really haven't had a problem with this since I usually use 2nd gear if I am slowing down like that; the problem is that I am trying to sell my car and one of the guys that was looking at it is convinced that my transmission is shot. It doesn't whine or grind going into any of the gears and never pops out of any other gear. It is just this 1st gear issue.

It really doesn't effect the driveability of the car since I have lived with it for such a long time as a daily driver but he is using this to really cut the value of the car down. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? I don't know if a transmission rebuild would be a feasible option for me.

I will greatly appreciate any help that is offered! :thumb:

If the transmission doesn't work properly, it needs repaired. Sounds like either the engagement teeth on 1st, or the 1-2 slider are worn down to a nub, or the intermediate shaft bearing is going out, which will eventually destroy the entire transmission.

It is also possible that the shift linkage is setup improperly, but them it would probably also have issues with 3rd, and 5th. Even if this was the initial case, by popping out of gear for years, 1st gear, and the 1-2 hub slider need replaced.

Finally, it may not be a big issue to you, but to someone buying a car, an inoperable 1st gear in the transmission is a big deal. Also, the fact that you drove it like this for years, can be an indication of the type of maintenance care the car received. Unless you are prepared to pull the trans, and fix the issue, you are going to have to be flexible with buyers. Unless you would rather explain it away as a non issue, and pass the buck to the next guy, in true dsm fashion.

donniekak, I truly appreciate the reply. Do you have any insight as to how much the repair could cost to replace the 1-2 slide and intermediate shaft bearing? I dropped the price $700 to compensate for this issue but should I adjust the price more?

donniekak, I truly appreciate the reply. Do you have any insight as to how much the repair could cost to replace the 1-2 slide and intermediate shaft bearing? I dropped the price $700 to compensate for this issue but should I adjust the price more?

Parts would run a few hundred dollars, but dropping the price $500-$1000 is fair for a dsm with non catastrophic transmission issues, as a working used unit can usually be bought an installed fairly cheap.

Thanks for the reply again. :thumb:

Yesterday I brought the car to a transmission shop and one mechanic told me that it sounded like the 1st gear synchro was worn down enough so that 1st gear doesn't fully engage. I asked him if they could simply replace the synchro and he said no since they generally will do a full rebuild so that it won't have problems later down the road. He suggested that I buy a used transmission and have them mount it for me.

I understand where he is coming from, but it seems a bit inefficient to simply throw a decent transmission away and start over with a used one that might not be in any better shape than mine. I guess I don't feel confident tearing the transmission apart myself- are there any other options?

I am kind of left with just dropping the price down to account for this issue. Then again, I do feel that if I had a fully functional transmission my car would sell a bit better. :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back