The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission leak?! Or something else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Modesto, California
Okay so I know this is a common problem but my question is whether it's even the transmission or not. I just got my car about a week ago and noticed that it was leaking from under. At first, I thought it was the oil. When I finally had the time to check it out, I found out that the oil was perfectly fine. I know Eclipses are known for tranny problems and the leak I believe might be coming from the tranny. However, my dad thinks it's coming from the CV boots (I think he's in denial). I'm a total noob so I would really like some information or diagnostics of what the problem may be. Also, advice on how to fix it would be really useful. I took a few pics and even a video. It's bugging me THAT MUCH! I really love the car and want it to drive like new again. Maintenance before modding as they say. So please help. Some background info BTW, one reason I think that it may be the tranny is because I get grinding when trying to shift into third when I'm at a high RPM or speed. I did a lot of reading and found out that quite a few people have this problem and it may be due to the synchros. However, it doesn't grind at all if I'm shifting around 2500-3000 RPM. 3rd Gear is the only problem. Here are the pics (not the best but it's all I could get for now because the car wasn't sitting high enough). Some pics with the red arrow just indicate where the leak is located and which areas are wet. Now although the leak appears to be coming from the tranny, the part of the CV boot that leads all the way to the tranny is wet also so I'm lost as to figuring out where it's coming from.

Oh and here is the video link in case the pics don't make sense:

I have no idea why it's not showing the link guys sorry about that. Let me try this again. It'll be the youtube URL and then /watch?v=H k f A g o D g 9 a I " hope this helps.. without the spaces in between the characters LOL. It's titled "Transmission leak?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk###oDg9aI

Attachments

• 2011-07-04 18.43.46.jpg
    2011-07-04 18.43.46.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 465
  • 2011-07-04 18.44.18.jpg
    2011-07-04 18.44.18.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 2011-07-04 18.44.35.jpg
    2011-07-04 18.44.35.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 418
  • 2011-07-04 18.47.44.jpg
    2011-07-04 18.47.44.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 2011-07-04 19.02.30.jpg
    2011-07-04 19.02.30.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 2011-07-04 19.03.33.jpg
    2011-07-04 19.03.33.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
As soon as I saw that it was a GSX, I was thinking transfer-case leak, but that looks like motor oil and it's not in the right place. Hmmm.

Pics are really hard for mento see (on my cell) but it may be an axel seal leaking.

Sorry man I'l try getting some better pics soon hopefully. An axle seal leak? Lol well I guess we have a third possibility.

As soon as I saw that it was a GSX, I was thinking transfer-case leak, but that looks like motor oil and it's not in the right place. Hmmm.

Lol yeah I was hoping and still am hoping that it's not a transfer-case leak. They're pretty common with our cars.

Best advice that I can give you is if you're not sure what type of fluid it is (engine oil/gear oil) smell it. They both smell completley different, and it'll help you rule out possibilities. Plus the best thing that I can think of for you to do is get a pair of jack stands and set the front of the car on them and pull the crossmember from under the engine to get a better view of where the oil may be coming from.

I have the exactly same spot that mine is dripping from and it is indeed the axle seal. I cleaned everything up while I had things tore apart and the transfer case and oil pan off and I could see tranny fluid seeping from the axle seal and it would eventually run down to that same spot on the bottom of the tranny.

Even a brand new seal can leak if you aren't careful about putting the axle in straight so not to slice the new seal with the splines... Hope this helps ya out... They aren't too bad to change out.

I have the exactly same spot that mine is dripping from and it is indeed the axle seal. I cleaned everything up while I had things tore apart and the transfer case and oil pan off and I could see tranny fluid seeping from the axle seal and it would eventually run down to that same spot on the bottom of the tranny.

Even a brand new seal can leak if you aren't careful about putting the axle in straight so not to slice the new seal with the splines... Hope this helps ya out... They aren't too bad to change out.

Thank you so much! Nice to see someone had the exact same experience. I will still check to make sure but so far the best bet is probably an axle seal leak. I still think that I might have to change out my tranny though because of this whole 3rd gear grind thing.. :cry:

Thank you so much! Nice to see someone had the exact same experience. I will still check to make sure but so far the best bet is probably an axle seal leak. I still think that I might have to change out my tranny though because of this whole 3rd gear grind thing.. :cry:

You could try running some synchromesh in your tranny to see if that helps with 3rd gears grinding problem.

i am having a similar issue. i noticed my transmission making a whining noise so i figured i was low on tranny fluid thinking maybe it just burned it some how. put two quarts in the tranny (there was basically no fluid in it)... i went to take off and as soon as you put it in gear and let the clutch out it starts leaking very bad. so i s toped and couldnt see where it was coming from so i jacked it up and filled it once again. let the clutch out in gear while the car was lifted in the air and tranny fluid was pouring out between the engine and trans. i cannot not figure out why or exactly where this leak is coming from???? any help would be appreciated. thanks, blake

sounds like you have a leak on your output shaft for the transfer case or a whole in the bell housing if its coming from between the motor and trans.

If it is leaking as bad as you are making it sound, I would stop driving the vehicle and determine the location of the leak. Take off the crossmember and trace the leak. I also bet that you have a hole in the bell-housing. This happened to me last year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back