The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Transmission/gear problem please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drift4G63

Probationary Member
Mar 8, 2004
Milford, Michigan
I recently bought another talon. It is a 91 TSI AWD. It had a broken timing belt. I replaced the head and put on a new timing/balance shaft belt, ect, and did other minor tune-ups.

After the head was replaced I pulled it out and noticed that the clutch was completely gone. It was so bad that when driving up the hill down my road as soon as the turbo spooled all I got was RPM and the car didnt move. So it was clutch time next weekend that a came home from school. I bought a Exedy stock clutch, TOB, and pressure plate, the flywheel was resurfaced.

Pulling out the trans the shift linkage bushings were seized on the shift forks on the trans and I just ripped them off. I had a parts talon before from which I got the head and so I replaced the shift linkage as well.

Put the car all back together, and now 1st and 2nd grinds. I adjusted the clutch and the shift linkage repeatedly, got it to the point that it was minimal, but wanting perfection I lost that and its back to the regular grinding. Clutch adjustment being all the way out hanging on by 2-3 threads engages about ½in as soon as let up. Trans is short about a quart of oil, dont think that is the problem but maybe ill hope.

Ive been on this for 2 weekends now. Come this weekend when I get to work on it again I am determined to find a solution. I need as much help as I can get, and every possible thing that I could to get this to stop grinding. Or even get it to the bare minimal of grinding like I had it. Perhaps there is I certain way that you adjust the shift linkage and the clutch. I only did it to the best of my knowledge.

Please help, thank you for reading my dilemma.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like either the clutch isn't fully disengaging, or the syncros are shot.

If it's the clutch, there may be air in the fluid or something that's preventing full disengagement. If not that, it could be that the pedal assembly is worn out and needs to be welded.

Syncros is what I feared…but I hope not, it wasn’t doing this with the old clutch. I F***ed up the shift cables when I changed them because I had to readjust them, the car wouldn’t even go into any gear when I had just put them in. I’ve found how to adjust the clutch, but no one gives an accurate way of adjusting the cables. I ruled air out because I bled that danm clutch for like an hr. constantly refilling. But def disengagement is the issue here. What do u mean that the pedal assembly needs to be welded. I’ve never herd of this. Perhaps it would do the trick.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back