The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2GNT Transmission Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
Okay so my Haynes Repair Guide doesn't tell me how many quarts of ATF goes in the transmission. I tried google-ing it and came up with nothing. Can someone help me out here? Much appreciated.

1995 Eagle Talon ESI.

Thanks

Ignore, proper info below.

Last edited:
Ok, there was no clarification of what transmission was in your car if it was auto or manual.

2G 420a Automatic trans takes ATF+4 - 9.1qts
2G 420a Manual (F5MC1) trans takes ATF+4 - 2.1qts

1G/2G 4G63T FWD/AWD Automatic (F4A33/W4A33) trans takes Diamond SP-II or DEX/MERC - 7.1qts

1G 4G63 Non-turbo FWD Automatic trans (F4A22) utilizes a Diamond SP-2 equivilant fluid such as a Dex/Merc ATF. It uses 6.4 quarts.

1G/2G 4G63 FWD (F5M33) Manual trans takes 80W-90 GLI-4 - 2.1qts
1G/2G 4G63 AWD (W5M33) Manual trans takes 80W-90 GLI-4 - 2.4qts

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys that helps and sorry for the lack of info. It sounded good at the time (1:07am) LOL.

P.S. 9.1 quarts of Royal Purple ATF is going to bankrupt me... thank god for ebay :)

Hey. I've put Castrol ATF +4 in my GS and it shifts wonderfully. And I think it's like 6 bucks a quart. Which is still pricey, but better than 9 a quart.

Redline makes awesome stuffs.
I used it when the clutch was out and it makes a serious difference.

IF...you used to use the autozone special :p

That's the problem with Royal Purple: overpriced and about the same as others (I call it repackage recycled oil with food coloring added) - just the name and word of mouth is what makes it sell...

i wouldn't put atf into a manual trans. atf is for autos only. manuals usually take gear oil like 75-90. stick your finger inside the fill plug and if it smells like a$$ then it is gear oil and atf is only going to mess up your trans in the long run.

Best I found to use in atf for the 4g63t is Royal Purple Universal Synthetic.

He's an NT which has the Dodge based 420A with the Chrysler built tranny .. which require the ATF+4 fluid for both the manual and automatic trannies.

He can't use the 75w/90 GL-4 stuff since that will harm the syncro cones since they are felt lined and GL-4 doesn't have the Friction Modifier that the ATF+4 has to work with the felt lining.

Thanks guys! I do have the esi so fwd, N/T, and auto. Sorry for not adding that. I drained the trans today. I dont think its ever been done before. The color and smell was pretty off, not to mention sludge. There was a small nail sized hole in the tranny and it allowed water to get in. I covered it up with some J-B Weld epoxy and drained it all out. I hope when I do the tranny oil change itll help with the high shift. Im making sure I do ALL maintenance before I start driving it daily. I already did Royal Purple 5w-30 oil change (meant to get 10w-30 but later saw that the Haynes Manual recommends 5w-30) K&N oil filter, fuel filter, NGK BKR6ES spark plugs (gapped at .046 I believe) Waiting for my MSD ignition/spark plug wires to come in, and I think I will try Royal Purple Max ATF. Anything else you guys recommend I do for routine maintenance? Thanks!

too bad that you didn't do the power flush so you can get the cruddy stuff out of the torque converter. But, not is all lost: you disconnect one of the lines that runs to the radiator and head that one to a drain pan. The fluid might head out of the fitting on the radiator, thus add a hose to that one fitting to head to the pan.

Go ahead and fill the tranny, start the motor and put it in N. The tranny pump will force the new fluid through the converter and push out the old junk to the drain pan. As soon as the fluid flow gets ready to stop, stop the motor, cap the line back to the radiator and fill the tranny again with the new fluid.

Start the car up again and check your fluid level, and I think you the check in N or P

good luck-DSM

You should only check this trans in neutral at operating temperature.

@DSM1G90 Thanks! Ill make sure to do that. I totally forgot about that when I was draining it until after i did it. I was like shoot LOL. but ill make sure to get some cheap stuff and flush it that way and then add the good stuff after. Can I use any regular cheap stuff to power flush it or still stick with the cheapest atf +4?

@twicks69 thanks too bud. ill make sure to remember that.

Ok, there was no clarification of what transmission was in your car if it was auto or manual.

2G 420a Automatic trans takes ATF+4 - 9.1qts
2G 420a Manual (F5MC1) trans takes ATF+4 - 2.1qts

1G/2G 4G63T FWD/AWD Automatic (F4A33/W4A33) trans takes Diamond SP-II or DEX/MERC - 7.1qts

1G 4G63 Non-turbo FWD Automatic trans (F4A22) utilizes a Diamond SP-2 equivilant fluid such as a Dex/Merc ATF. It uses 6.4 quarts.

1G/2G 4G63 FWD (F5M33) Manual trans takes 80W-90 GLI-4 - 2.1qts
1G/2G 4G63 AWD (W5M33) Manual trans takes 80W-90 GLI-4 - 2.4qts

What about a 4G63 AWD with Auto trans?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back