The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission Factory defect, has anybody experienced this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo_lover

Probationary Member
May 5, 2002
Miami_FL
Ok, at work all of a sudden my batery died, so I went into the security office and luckyly they have one of those little batery boosters. The guy tells me to go wait by my car that a security guy will be there soon. So the guy that gets there is this scrawny guy that me and my friends joke around with, I have no idea he has an eclipse and that the same thing that Im about to write here happened to him too. He comes up and asks me "How did the battery die?", I reply I dont know, all of a sudden it lost charge. So he goes to me, "This happened to me too, only in a worst case scenario , On a Street LightOMG , heres the thing from factory you do know our transmissions suck, what they start doing is evaporating the transmission oil over time and as you dont change the transmission oil it starts eating up your battery, Why?, I dont know my friend (a mechanic at a Mitsu Dealer) explained to me but this is all I could get. The thing is that I changed the battery and over time it did it to me again, we went to the mitsu dealer and got a diagnostic check, What did it say, "Transmission Liquid". We change the transmission oil and I put a new battery, from that day forth it hasnt done that **** to me again."

Now, I believe him because it actually makes sense, it obviously isnt no major electrical component, after he gave the battery a boost, the car turned on perfectly. After that it didnt boggle RPM's were normal and most importantly the car didnt turn off (Alternator). Tommorrow Im gonna change the transmission oil and get probably get a new battery. Ill post again tommorrow with results.

OK, I just went to check if the car would turn on again and it did?!!?. Weird, I gotta get to the bottom of this

how the hell does the tranny fluid get on/in/around the battery?? Unless yours is an auto, I don't know where the dipstick is for those...

uhmmm. My trannie oil never evaporates. And it shouldn't.

I never heard of that one!

Battery cases are usually made of a material that ressists transmission fluid, so it should be ok even if the case is immersed n oil.

But, you got me thinking, turbo-lover. DSMs are known for swallowing batteries. They sit on the engine and the heat cycling can damage the battery core. But they also evaporate the battery electrolye and that kills of the cell quickly once the electrolyte is gone. Once the level gets below a certain point, the voltage from it disappears....poof, all of a sudden two volts are gone. It can happen at a stoplight too.

It doesn't matter if this is a sealed battery, maintainence free, etc....the net effect is the same on all of 'em.

Kyle

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back