The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Transmission end bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse420aTuner

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2019
Dallas, Texas
Rebuilding the 420a transmission and ran into a snag..

Before full examining the end bearings, I tossed the old ones since I have some nice, new ones in my trans rebuild kit---rookie mistake! One does not seem to fit properly and they appear to be different sizes. Before I go trying to jam the one in that seems a little too large with the press, I wondered if anyone knows the answer to this question--are they supposed to be identical? Perhaps I got the wrong one in the kit or if it is correct, which goes on the input and output shafts?

The larger one has writing "TM2/32 NSK 106" and "30TEM31ANX." The slightly smaller one says "30TM 14NX1."

I do have the transmission manual I found floating in the internet and it just doesn't get specific enough to answer this question and a Youtube video from CarModsGarage shows the end bearing on both shafts to look about the same size to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Attached are the end bearings.

Attachments

• end bearings.jpg
    end bearings.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 73
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well the bearings are supposed to be 63mm OD but I can tell you that the aftermarket ones typically screw up with the end bearings. The OEM ones are NSK 30TM14NX1. The aftermarket kits have some that specify the sizing, but the BK414WS kit i just received was sent with 66mm OD bearings and was missing the INA F390112 input shaft sleeve bearing, which is wrong of course, as the 66mm bearings are supposed to be in the BK414AWS kits. Frustrating to say the least. Still waiting on them to resolve the problem with my order.

Stay away from All State Gear. They still have not resolved my order from a month ago with over a dozen emails sent. Their kit also came with fiber lined 3/4/5/R synchros.

I've used Transmission Parts Distributors before for other applications, did your kit come with full brass synchros for 3/4/5/R, along with the correct end shaft bearings and input shaft sleeve bearing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back