The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still going. The filter picks up a few little particles here and there, as do the magnetic drain and fill plugs. Other than that it's holding 600hp nicely for daily driving.

3rd gear is about 0.24m circumference, so 9000rpm = 2160m/minute = 36m/s. Any ME's here?

Pitch diameter is a diameter ~halfway in between the OD and ID of the gear. (called circular pitch in this article: Gear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Basically, your math is close enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Heat kills oil's ability to do it's job. even going over 200* has a negative effect on oil and shortens gear life. Anything you can do to keep temps down is critical.

I'm about to install trans cooler setup and had 1 question.
Does anyone see an issue with getting feed from the transmission drain plug and spray it on the top where the 3 gear is?

Regards!

I'm about to install trans cooler setup and had 1 question.
Does anyone see an issue with getting feed from the transmission drain plug and spray it on the top where the 3 gear is?

Regards!

Sounds to me like it would cause lower levels in fluid if you dont go external cooler, but i'm a transmission newb so hopefully someone with more experience will know for sure.

Sounds to me like it would cause lower levels in fluid if you dont go external cooler, but i'm a transmission newb so hopefully someone with more experience will know for sure.
I will be running an external cooler and filter, just wondering if I can use the existing drain plug as my feed?

I think the drain is too low on the AWD trans personally.
When you say too low, is it because I risk breaking a hose which would be catastrophic or is there a lubrication issue getting the feed from there?

The only way I'd use the stock drain for a pickup is with a low profile steel fitting or banjo.

The only way I'd use the stock drain for a pickup is with a low profile steel fitting or banjo.
Thanks for the answer, I will be running a low profile banjo and perhaps a skid plate on top of that

If you use the drain plug, you'll want to make sure that the fitting does not drop below the lowest point of the transmission case. Otherwise you risk bottoming out and ripping it off, which would mean bye-bye to your transmission.

Here's where I have mine:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Old bump. Any updates on this?

I'm assuming this is overkill for street use?

I'm getting ready to open up my transmission to add the LSD's. While it's apart I could easily add some fittings. :)

Yes, definitely overkill for street use. Unless you're in the habit of doing countless back-to-back highway pulls.

Since I installed my transmission temperature gauge, I don't recall seeing more than 180°F trans fluid temps on the street / highway (with my pump turned off).

Wow, just discovered this thread, great info here. After having some transmission issues running 3 endurance races this year on a brand new rebuild (not sure if heat related or not), I'm seriously considering adding some cooling for extra protection.

Quick question - did you remove the factory oil guide that sits in there? The larger one. I guess it isn't needed anymore right?

I left the oil guide in so the trans can still function like stock in the event of a pump failure.

All up in your face with the resurrection…..how has this setup held up? I plan on doing something similar this off-season. Lime Rock always breaks my 4th gear, presumably from all the high speed/high G right handers. I’m also going to use the boostin’ bearing plate to keep shaft deflection down. Just curious how this held up, and any refinements you’d make to it. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back