The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Radiator's transmission cooler for engine oil cooler [Merged 3-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some DSMs do already have an external cooler besides the cooler mounted in the radiator. When an aftermarket cooler is installed, it replaces the factory external cooler. The internal cooler may or may not still be used, as posted. For the street, it's better to use both. It not only cools, but also keeps the trans fluid at operating temperature in cold weather.

Attachments

• trans cooler.jpg
    trans cooler.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 326
I recently had to replace my radiator due to a leak, the new one I ordered is universal (can be used in auto or manual trans eclipse) so it has the lines for the internal trans cooler (capped off). My question is, has anyone used the trans cooler lines on the radiator as an engine oil cooler ? If so, does it affect oil pressure ? Is there any advantage to doing this ? I was just curious if anyone does this

iv used an auto tranny cooler as an oil cooler no problem. but im not sure if thats waht you mean

iv used an auto tranny cooler as an oil cooler no problem. but im not sure if thats waht you mean

actually sort of, but no - im guessing it doesnt matter if theres oil or trans fluid going through the coolers, it seems to be the same - what im talking about is for auto trans eclipse's the radiator has an internal trans cooler (the lines come off the radiator), i was seeing if anyone had used those as an oil cooler on a manual trans car instead of a trans cooler in an auto trans car, and if it was a waste of time or not LOL

I dont see why not. The cooler doenst know what fluid is going into it, so why not? im using my old factory trans cooler as my power steering cooler (it was a better install then the factory power steering cooler). Its about utilizing what you have, if its there - USE IT! ROFL

yea try it out if it doesnt work its not hard to switch back.

Of course, if you try it out and the 100PSI oil pressure ruptures the cooler inside the radiator, then the radiator pressure forces oil and antifreeze throughout your oiling system, it's a bit more of a bother than just "putting it back".

No. Don't. If you think you need more of an oil cooler than you already have (you don't), then get an oil cooler. Ignore the trans cooler if you don't have an AT.

I have a radiator off of an automatic 420a car. I was wondering if I could run my oil line to the automatic trans fluid cooler line on the radiator and have like a free oil cooler. any thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back