The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission/Clutch Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eLeCtRoN_bLu

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 14, 2002
Stinky_AZ
does anyone here know how to replace clutch? I have an ACT clutch for my 1st gen eclipse, and i need to replace my stock one because i think it's all wear out or something. by the way is it hard to remove the tranny and replace the new clutch? I have no experience about disassembling and assembling the tranny, please give me info how.

should i go buy "Haynes Auto Manual" and follow instruction?
what tools that will be needed?

I'm only 18 and have no experience on disassembling, do you think i can do it at home??

Give yourself two days plus when ever you can get the flywheel to a machine shop to get it resurfaced.

Go to www.vfaq.com Use that clutch replacement instruction the Haynes manual has you take out too many parts that you do not need to mess with.

i would recommend that you have a full set of metric sockets, wrenchs and an impact wrench with sockets too. Oh jack stands and a hoist make things easier.

I, in fact, just went throught the first half of this last night. It was my first time pulling a tranny and I dont think it was very bad at all (so far), and I did it by myself. I am fairly competent, but havent done a lot of things. I had plenty of tools, so that part went smoothly. I didnt have a lift or tranny jack, and that wasnt too bad either. I am a pertty strong fella though, so it may be more difficult for someone else. I simply unbolted the tranny and pulled it off while I was under there. Then sat it aside (no big deal when you bench more than the tranny weighs). From what I hear though, you will want 2 people there to put the tranny back in.

Guys, where can I get a clutch pilot tool?

Pilot tool - if you have a store that sells clutch kits.

go out and by one for your car there will be one in it.

Just use it for your job - put it back in the box and return the kit.

-Brian
ps: some stores will carry them seperately but I had to buy one from a friend that just happened to have one. - But I know when I first broke my tranny I was stuck out of state with not enough money to have my tranny profetionally done. (after I bought a new tranny) so I did the whole got a return policy thing.

Not hard to do yourself but there are times when a person helping you is nice. especially bench pressing it back in. (the only way I've ever done it)

IM 18 years old i have a 2g GSX i was 17 and i did the clutch job in my gargage on jackstands with no tanny jack, it was very time consuming but stright forward. You will have ur times of anger and discuragment stick to it hard work pays off!!! now im doing my timing belt and that isnt funn!! i think the clutch job was easier!!! hahah good luck

we are doing mine tomorrow.. me and a friend.. the 2100 and fidanza are sittin in my garage waiting for me.. Im realy not lookin forward to this but hopefully everything will go smoothly

vfaq.com has a really detailed explanation of how to take it out,,,,it has every bolt that needs to come off with pics...so you should do that,,,,got mine out in less then a day with that...and put it back in in about 3 hours

damn, wish I had thought of lookin in the vfaq.. 6.5 hours last night and the tranny is out, clutch and flywheel are off.. going to buy a torque wrench today to put the flywheel back on, and then put the tranny back on :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back