The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G which transfer case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegst3131

Banned Member
Jun 5, 2004
Manchester, New_Hampshire
what kind of transfer case would i use in my 93 awd tsi? is there a difference in the years at all?

eclipsegst3131 said:
what kind of transfer case would i use in my 93 awd tsi? is there a difference in the years at all?
You'll want to get a 23 spline transfer case. Yes there are differences between years.

eclipsegst3131 said:
1990 to early 1991 are 22spline cases, mid 1991 - 1994 are 23spline (which is what you need) :dsm:

is there a build date or VIN breakpoint for this? I am probably going to need a tcase soon and my car is a 91.

yea, I don't want to take mine out until I have another one. My car is my only car and I use it everyday.

It only takes about 15 minutes to drop it down and count the splines. You should need a 23like mentioned above, but unless you are the 1st and only owner of the vehicle it could have changed in the meantime.:thumb:

megadeth0 said:
It only takes about 15 minutes to drop it down and count the splines. You should need a 23like mentioned above, but unless you are the 1st and only owner of the vehicle it could have changed in the meantime.:thumb:
If the car is a 91, he should most likely be using a 22 spline tranny.

Not necessarily. Like John said previously, they started the 23 spline mid 91. It is touch and gofor the 91's. I would lower it and count. It is the safest way. :thumb:

Now guys I've never had a running AWD, is there a stregth difference in the 22 to 23 spline t-cases? My guesstimation would be that the 23 is strong like that of a 4 bolt rear to a 3 bolt, am I correct?

Yes, you are correct. 23 spline is the way to go. :thumb:

Ok not meaning to thread jack but I just bought a 1990 GSX. I am redoing the drivetrain before I put the power in it. Thats why I got a SBR 4000 clutch :). But how would I convert to use a 23 spline Xcase. Is there a write up somewhere? I already am switching to a 4 bolt rear and shep stage 3 trans. New output shaft needed?

LA97GST said:
Ok not meaning to thread jack but I just bought a 1990 GSX. I am redoing the drivetrain before I put the power in it. Thats why I got a SBR 4000 clutch :). But how would I convert to use a 23 spline Xcase. Is there a write up somewhere? I already am switching to a 4 bolt rear and shep stage 3 trans. New output shaft needed?

"1990 to early 1991 are 22spline cases, mid 1991 - 1994 are 23spline (which is what you need) "

You will need mid 1991-1994 tranny which have 23 splines.

4gsx63 said:
"1990 to early 1991 are 22spline cases, mid 1991 - 1994 are 23spline (which is what you need) "

You will need mid 1991-1994 tranny which have 23 splines.

you dont really need a 91-94 tranny. you could swap the center shaft from one into you 90 trans. but the prefered way would be to get a 91-94 trans since they are stronger internally then the 90 trans anyway. youll also need to change around the cables, brackets or shifter. there a big discussion going on about what all needs swapped for it to work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back