The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

transfer case to driveshaft...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2012
Gilbert, South_Carolina
maybe someone could help me out here. I have a 96 gsx and having a hard time getting the transfer case to go all the way into the driveshaft. I measured and still have 2.5 inches for the output shaft on the t case to slide all the way on the driveshaft. can someone give me a measurement of how much the transfer case should go on the driveshaft? because I've hammered and pushed as much as I can and still can't get the trans case to line up with the output shaft on the transmission..

i had the same problem you gotta count the teeth they have different t cases for each year make sure you have the correct t case

Are you sure the xfer case is from a 95-96? IF so, it should fit fine. If it is a 97-99, then it will still fit, but it has different gearing than the 95-96. If you are sure you have a 2g driveshaft, and the correct range xfer case, then there is either something inside the hoke preventing full insertion, or maybe a piece of a broken yoke still inside the xfer case, below the end seal

Count them both and they should match in numbers.
If not you have two different years

Additionally, check the splines inside the slip yolk on the driveshaft to make certain they are not twisted. Even a slight twist will cause spline engagement problems. I do not believe Mitsubishi has a spec on this however it generally should be 2x the diameter of the output shaft, minimum. And should stick out of the Tcase about 1.5 inches approximately (on oem shaft) if I remember correctly but do not quote me. Are you running the stock shaft or aftermarket DSS?

stock 96 shaft. Im not sure of the year of the transfer case. I know its not 97-99 though.

The drive shaft should slip on no matter if its 90-96 or 97-99. it only comes down to the trans being a 21 or 23 spline and of course the gearing but that's not the question here.

You may have a twisted shaft check the the splines if they are straight and free of debris and burs.

the transfer case is 21 spline. and twisted on the driveshaft or trans case?

The drive shaft should slip on no matter if its 90-96 or 97-99. it only comes down to the trans being a 21 or 23 spline and of course the gearing but that's not the question here.

You may have a twisted shaft check the the splines if they are straight and free of debris and burs.

That's what I was thinking. The output shaft splines on the transfer case should be the same on all years. The drive shafts are all the same.

Either one could be the problem check both. also don't hammer it on, because when the engine rocks the shaft needs to be able to move in or out.

You will have to check and see, no way around it. I would start by looking down the center of the driveshaft yolk with a flashlight.

In my experience, the splines inside the yolk twist easier than the splines on the Tcase output shaft. At least this has been the case on my 1G after aggressive launches.

You may just want to take it off the car, it may be easier to inspect that way. I would check how much spline engagement you have...take a measurement of how much the yolk is protruding and do some simple math when its off. Take a look and see if you have a "wear mark" inside the yolk to further determine how much engagement you are getting. Check spline wear/ tooth profile on both the shaft and yolk. You may want to reassemble with a new yolk or Tcase, depending on what you find.

Your profile is not filled out btw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back