The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Transfer case recall [ merged ]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostman

Probationary Member
Dec 30, 2001
elizabeth_n.j.
All transfer case recall threads are merged here.

Does anybody have a number i can call to see if my cars had the recall done?thanks.

first of all doug, I have read all 8 pages and other numerous threads regarding this issue secondly reason why I ask is there are some things not clear to me. as you can see by my questions. you did not have to reply to the thread.

sweet97... beside my car having the sellers 92 talons transfer case, I checked with dealer and recall has been done once on my vehicle per vin number also. reason I think it might be bad is due to noises and vibration I was experiencing. bottom of car as well is wet, but I have not yet confirmed 100% that it is leaking. I am very worried though since seller switched t case that could be possibly be bad and that recall has already been done on the vehicle as well. thanks for your reply and not being rude about it.

Edit: Doug...I dont mean to come across rude either. but I wouldnt ask if I understood. per my questions, there are some things I am trying to understand... thanks anyways.

The transfer case itself does not leak. It is the driveshaft yoke that leaks, the one that slides into the transfer case. It has a brass plug in the bottom of the yoke that needed a hole so they could machine the splines into the yoke to fit the shaft in the case. Then the brass plud to seal the hole and after time this plug leaks. Get the bottom of the car degreased the best you can usoing brake cleaner nd high pressure water. The yoke spins and leaves a very distinctive trase of it leaking. www.vfaq.com has some pics showing the leak. It throws the gear oil around in a circle and you will see it on the downpipe or the next section of the exhaust, don't remember which is nest to the case, downpipe I believe. It will also leave a trail on the underside of the tranny "hump" above the case where they have room to fit the tranny/case. Have you checked the level of fluid in the case? That would be the first thing I would do and ad gear oil as needed. There is a vent on top of the case that should have a rubber cap type piece, just ignore that and add the oil where it should go and up to the point where it is about to flow out and then thread the plug back in. If the case is down a fair amount of gear oil that is not good.
It could be very well that the tranny is grinding. So clean it and refill it.
Personally for the cost of the repair I would not argue with the dealer. I have seen repair kits for as cheap as $39.95. I went with genuine DSM parts and spent about $80. in parts and then had my mechanic do the R&R because I am disabled and a press was needed I think as I also did the U-joint also but got that aftermarket as the OEM U-joint is Expen$ive! Go to www.vfaq.com now and check out the "transfer case recall" and "repair" pics and directions. They have pics of what the oil would look like on the bottom of the car. It does not usually cover the entire bottom but leaves a circular trail due to the spinning of the shaft.
You can remove the yoke nd clean and seal the plug with an epoxy if you cannot afford a new one. vfaq shows you how. Good Luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or email at [email protected]

sweet97 said:
The transfer case itself does not leak. It is the driveshaft yoke that leaks, the one that slides into the transfer case. It has a brass plug in the bottom of the yoke that needed a hole so they could machine the splines into the yoke to fit the shaft in the case.

That's not always the case. On my car the yoke itself has a deep groove worn into it by the seal. The lip of the seal is also bashed up.

Not sure why this happens. Maybe play between the yoke and output shaft, and/or inbalance in the drive shaft allows the yoke to beat against the seal? Maybe dirt got in there? Or maybe the shavings from the already failing t-case were grinding at the yoke shaft under the lip of the seal and ate both? My t-case is definitely an advanced case. I bought my car like that. There was almost no oil in the t-case when I checked. Pretty noisy.

You can probably find a 1g t-case on one of the boards for 100 bucks or less (btw dsmtrader.com is alive). 97-99 t-cases, which I need, are harder to find... Replace the t-case and the yoke, and you should be good to go, without breaking the bank. But I would fight the dealer first.

thanks for replying guys. yesterday for the first time since I bought the car I checked the fluid for the t case.... low and behold it had about 1 teaspon of fluid in it. fluid was really dark and looked just like ashes mixed into liquid. I'm pretty sure the sound I was hearing is the t case. I refilled it with valvoline 75w 90 synthetic. will see if it did some damage. tried to check the rear differential as well but the bolt is stripped... will have to figure out how to get that bolt out. I swear it's one thing after another.

If it does leak after refilling the tcase I will be making some calls. by the way I called the nhtsa and spoke to a rep about recalls on eagle talon, and all they came up with was auto tranny drivetrain, rear seatbelt, and something else. nothing about t case. I also called the chrysler number and that is the wrong number. can you guys direct me to the right phone numbers and what exactly to tell nhtsa or what dept or whatever so the person I talked to knows what I am talking about. thanks again. guys.

steel_3d said:
Doubtful. More likely bad carrier bearings. If not that then maybe bad driveshaft, bad ujoints, bad rear axles??

A worn t-case or low oil will just make a constant whirring sound while driving, especially at highway speeds.

As for the legal action, I think your problem at this point is separate from the recall. The dealership ####ed up a working transmission, I would say they're pretty clearly responsible for that. You can easily prove that they shouldn't have done those two things under any circumstances. I'd be surprised if they even went to court, not just made the repairs for free.
What about while sitting idle in neutral? I've got a buzzing/humming or something coming from the back, I can hear it inside and outside, while the car is just sitting in neutral. Flush fluid in the rear diff? Or could it be the fuel pump?

Maybe I am blind and missed something in this thread but from what I've read it seems like the recall would cover all the AWD models. Now when I look the only recall for a transfercase that I see is for Automatic cars and apparently doesn't include the Manual...?

Make : MITSUBISHI Model : ECLIPSE Year : 1990
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI AMERICA
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 98V069001 Recall Date : MAR 19, 1998
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 24275

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. LOCKUP OF THE TRANSFER CASE CAN OCCUR DUE TO INSUFFICIENT LUBRICATION.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION CAN CAUSE A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE VEHICLES FOR ADEQUACY OF THE TRANSFER CASE OIL VOLUME, TRANSFER CASE OIL LEAKAGE, AND OPERATIONAL DEGRADATION OF THE TRANSFER CASE MECHANISM. IF OIL VOLUME IS INSUFFICIENT, THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF OIL WILL BE ADDED. IF THERE IS TRANSFER CASE OIL LEAKAGE, AFFECTED COMPONENTS WILL BE REPLACED. IF THE TRANSFER CASE SHOWS OPERATIONAL DEGRADATION, THE TRANSFER CASE WILL BE REPLACED.

So what's the deal ? Can anyone enlighten me on this one?

Anyone have any idea's for this? I have seen a couple mitsubishi owners posting that they got this done on their car, yet still can't get any dealership/nhsta/mitsu employee to acknowledge it for my eclipse.

I have a question about this and forgive me if it's been asked before because I didn't read this entire thread but... My car is a 90 which means it should have a 22 spline T-case. I've swapped out the t-case and trans for the later 23 spline units. Would this void any recall?

Did you ever get it taken care of ? I see you were having problems and that all they saw for you too was the auto tranny drivetrain recall.

packinkimber45 said:
thanks for replying guys. yesterday for the first time since I bought the car I checked the fluid for the t case.... low and behold it had about 1 teaspon of fluid in it. fluid was really dark and looked just like ashes mixed into liquid. I'm pretty sure the sound I was hearing is the t case. I refilled it with valvoline 75w 90 synthetic. will see if it did some damage. tried to check the rear differential as well but the bolt is stripped... will have to figure out how to get that bolt out. I swear it's one thing after another.

If it does leak after refilling the tcase I will be making some calls. by the way I called the nhtsa and spoke to a rep about recalls on eagle talon, and all they came up with was auto tranny drivetrain, rear seatbelt, and something else. nothing about t case. I also called the chrysler number and that is the wrong number. can you guys direct me to the right phone numbers and what exactly to tell nhtsa or what dept or whatever so the person I talked to knows what I am talking about. thanks again. guys.

Is your car a manual or auto? I keep getting the story that the recall only applies to automatic awd models...

I have auto,awd its a 95 talon tsi, and had that recall also and I was not leaking. But thats crazy what they said. I believe its auto and manual Ive never heard different. but check out the recalls for that year and if its there give them he##.

When I bought my car it was taken to dealership for a CEL, and they said that there was a recall on the Tcase and it would be replaced.

I didn't get that done for a while, brought it back again and they inspected it and just replaced the seal on mine instead LOL FTL.

It's sort of up to their discretion whether you get a replacement or not. If it leaked enough fluid for the Tcase to wear unnecessarily then they will/should replace it.
The issue is simply with the seal they used was bad and leaked fluid. If you lose enough fluid then Tcase can lock up at speed

twocanewayne said:
I have auto,awd its a 95 talon tsi, and had that recall also and I was not leaking. But thats crazy what they said. I believe its auto and manual Ive never heard different. but check out the recalls for that year and if its there give them he##.

I know that's why I'm having a slight problem everything I look at now strictly points to the automatics. :\ I'd think it wouldn't matter as I don't think they would have changed that seal between the manual/auto... Anyone else have some input on this by chance?

They'll do whatever they can to get out of doing jobs for free. Just reinform them that they're required by the USDOT to do this. Just raise a lot of hell like you said. After a while, they'll give in and do it.

Goto another stealership...

Supposedly, this recall ended back in 1999. Thats what my place said. I told them that they replaced mine a month ago (the truth) and they eventually did it...

My car is a 92 GSX MANUAL and it has the recall on it....the said they could not find that info but I bitched like crazy and complained to the right people and all of a sudden they found it under their "TECH ORDERS" or something to that affect and then they went ahead and replaced it.......tell them you are going to call Mitsubishi or the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... they do not like that at all

Interesting, I'll keep trying and see what I can make out of it. Thanks for your comments hopefully they'll atleast give me the time of day soon.

When I took mine in they told me it had been done in 2000. They also told me when I called DOT that as long as the car is on the road the recall does not end. They gave me lower contol arms because my ball joints were so screwed up and in there so torn up. Not from me though the previous owner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back