The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Transfer case recall [ merged ]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostman

Probationary Member
Dec 30, 2001
elizabeth_n.j.
All transfer case recall threads are merged here.

Does anybody have a number i can call to see if my cars had the recall done?thanks.

Assuming its just the seal that is shot what should be replaced? Are there other parts that should be replaced along with the seal? I'm going to try and tackle this very soon and really don't know where to start.

Can anyone help me? Small update on my car. The dealership sent my car away with my grandpa who drove it home with no transfer case or drive shaft on (FWD) and apparently no fluid in the transmission, both of which caused significant damage. I'm taking legal action against the dealership. There's one thing I'm worried about though. The NHTSA's website very clearly states there is a 10 year limit. Does this not apply somehow? And if not, why doesn't it?

--------------------------------------------------

Are there any limitations on my right to have my vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. In order to be eligible for free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or non-compliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser.

Doubtful. More likely bad carrier bearings. If not that then maybe bad driveshaft, bad ujoints, bad rear axles??

A worn t-case or low oil will just make a constant whirring sound while driving, especially at highway speeds.

As for the legal action, I think your problem at this point is separate from the recall. The dealership ####ed up a working transmission, I would say they're pretty clearly responsible for that. You can easily prove that they shouldn't have done those two things under any circumstances. I'd be surprised if they even went to court, not just made the repairs for free.

so i jus got my gsx about a month ago and just the other day my transfer case locked up . now im mcalling every Fing number i can get trying ot get them to do ythe recal again but now their saying its already been done so its cleared on my car when all you guys are saying it has to be done as many times as it happens. i am getting no where with mitsubishi on the phone so now its thequestion of do i get the car towed down there to have them tell me its not gonna be done ?? i dont know what to do. or else im gonna have to buy a used transfercase for 700 bux installed!!!!!!!! i dont have that kinda money since i just got it out of the Fing shop the other day!!! can someone help me with like a site that says it has to be done no matter how many times it happens or sumthing because they just keep telling me its already been done so they dont do it again!!! mitsu is really pissing me off right now

Maybe threaten them with a lawsuit. This problem is a serious hazard to yourself and others etc etc. It would also be useful of course if you can dig up proof that recalls are in effect forever, like the other guy stated. This would probably be the most effective if you directed it at Mitsubishi instead of a joe blow dealer.

Boosted98gsx said:
Go find the document (it is online at the NHTSA website) that states the penalty for refusing to perform an NHTSA recall. I believe it's somewhere around a $15 million fine.

My local mitsu dealer in houston (that originally performed the recall) refused to do it again as there were no signs of a leak when i brought it in the first time. However, the 2nd time there was an obvious leak. Just like you, the District Manager told them not to do it. So I went and found this penalty document and told them that if they did not honor the warranty, I would be filing suit for the full fine charge. Low and behold, it got done.

I had everything still on the car, too. Full 3" catless exhaust, no emissions, loping like hell cams, etc. Warranty was obviously voided from aftermarket parts. The parts mnger even asked me how I passed emissions with it. But it still got done.

Found the document for you.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/Cfc_title49/publ414.106.pdf

Page 5 Section 5, starting with "(1) In General- A person that violates

Emphasis on PERSON because if the District Manager refuses, then it's HIS ass that gets sued for not more than $5000. I had to tell the parts manager to make sure he was aware of this.

There is yall's answer. Make sure you keep on them with your "lawsuit filing" progress.

wow thats a long document where is the info that i can use on em?? im trying to read it all but dont really understand alot of it. im about to call them and threaten a lawsuit . is it the penalty thing for 15 mil?? im so lost on that hole document ?? helppp

If Someone That Has Had This Recall Done On Their Cars More Than Once Could Please Pm Me And Tell Me How It Went And How You Got Them To Do It Because Ive Been On The Phone All Day Talking To Bosses And Bosses Bosses Of Mitsu And Their All Telling Me Once The Recall Is Done Its Cleaered And They Dont Have To Worry About It After That. So If Someone Could Pm Me And Help Me Out A Lil More That Would Be Real Apreciated!!!!

ok so ive read the big thread about the t-case recall and my tires locked up on me on the highway and im pretty shure it was my t-case that locked up but i called the 1800# gave them my vin and now they say that my car does not have a recall for the t-case they said is vin # spicific and that another 1991 awd eagle talon that was made 5 hours b4 or after mine could have it but mine does not am i geting riped here ?

My 98 never had the recall. I bitched and bitched, and they fixed it under warranty (leaky t-case) even though I had MASSIVE amounts of mods done. That was an odd day.

hello members. I was wondering since I couldnt find on search if dealers can tell if the transfer case is original or has been swapped out or recall performed? reason I ask, when I bought my car the person I bought it from said it was a newer t case. the date he said it was replaced and the date recall was performed did not match. I called the dealer and they told me that not all the t case recalls are lifetime recalls, is this correct? I think my t case might be bad but all the dealerships tell me it has been done and the recall for my car is not the lifetime recall, therefore it is my responsibility to replace or fix if broken. is this correct, can someone confirm this? should I call the numbers provided to the recall? is there a site I can print off the actual recall from? thanks.

so can they tell if the t case has been swapped out or if the recall is the same t case on the car? I'm sorry I cant for some reason access those links... since it has been done already, there is nothing I can do? can I still call the numbers provided in the recall and get them to do the recall if it is really bad? thanks again... please needs lots of answers.

man, that really sucks. when I bought the car guy said it has not been done on this car per vin number, but when I had it checked over the phone it has. that just makes me want to get rid of this car, if t case is bad, that just ruins all my plans. sorry I'm griping. I feel like a real dush bag. guy said t case was replaced on his 92 talon and he put it in this car but recall has not been done to this specific car that I bought. thanks for the answers guys. I thought it was a lifetime recall.

If you'll read the existing, extensive transfer case recall thread, you'll find that it's a lifetime, safety related recall without limit on how many cases you eat up.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19280

I don't know what will happen when the cases are all used up. I don't know if they'd be required to manufacture more, or if they will have some ability to total your car based on their inability to supply a Federally required part.

doug99rs said:
The transfer case going IN TO the car for the recall has to match the one originally installed in the car. If you swapped your stuff around then you're SOL because a recall is vehicle specific. If you have a different transfer case part number billed out that doesn't match the vehicle

If I may... when I bought my car (90 talon tsi awd), guy said car has newer t case from recall performed on his 92 talon awd. so meaning my t case on my talon is not the original one nor the one from the recall that was done on it in 1998 (called and recall was done on car in 98 on my 90 talon). does this mean I am sol? can chrysler tell that the t case on my car is not what should be there? does the lifetime recall still apply to me thru chrysler? I was told by eagle that some are lifetime but not all? can anyone please confirm this. very worried that my t case is bad.

another thing, my car's tranny is supposably from the seller's 92 talon. motor is suppose to be jdm also, not sure what year... how does this affect me? will recall t case be compatible to mine? as far as the tranny and spline count is concerned? would there be any reason since motor and tranny is not original that parts would not match up and fit?

also what is with the 10 year eligibility? since recall was performed on my car in 98, does my car still apply? please need answers, very lost and worried. thank you.

packinkimber45 said:
If I may... when I bought my car (90 talon tsi awd), guy said car has newer t case from recall performed on his 92 talon awd. so meaning my t case on my talon is not the original one nor the one from the recall that was done on it in 1998 (called and recall was done on car in 98 on my 90 talon). does this mean I am sol? can chrysler tell that the t case on my car is not what should be there? does the lifetime recall still apply to me thru chrysler? I was told by eagle that some are lifetime but not all? can anyone please confirm this. very worried that my t case is bad.

another thing, my car's tranny is supposably from the seller's 92 talon. motor is suppose to be jdm also, not sure what year... how does this affect me? will recall t case be compatible to mine? as far as the tranny and spline count is concerned? would there be any reason since motor and tranny is not original that parts would not match up and fit?

also what is with the 10 year eligibility? since recall was performed on my car in 98, does my car still apply? please need answers, very lost and worried. thank you.

Lots to sort through here.
1. The transfer case in your /90 is from a recall transfer case performed on the same seller's '92?
2. That being correct then Chrysler has no record of the recall being done on your '90's VIN.
3. If you have a transfer case from a '92 in your '90 then the spline count is the same. I see no issue there.
4. What makes you think the transfer is going bad again? When I brought mine to Chrysler because the transfer was throwing gear oil out they said the recall had already been done and one is all a particular car gets. I said safety recalls are for the life of the vehicle, they said only once. I bought thre $80. for a new yoke and seal and had my mechanic install it. It was not worth $150. for me to argue with them for $150. If your transfer is bad due to the oil level getting too low and the gears are damaged you may have a bigger issue worth fighting for, is this the case, gears grinding in the transfer? Mark

You'll have to excuse me for being a little short and possibly rude here but this thread has over 220 posts in it by over 50 members. They have almost all explained their experiences with the various dealerships and the outcome of the whole ordeal. I have personally posted the recall in it's entirety as seen by a chrysler/jeep/dodge/eagle mechanic would see it in order to help explain how things are done at those dealerships.

I'm not trying to tell you to use the search feature and not directing you to the RIGHT threads nor am I telling anyone to go piss up a rope. But if you can't take the time to read a handful of these posts IN THIS VERY THREAD and see that your questions have already been answered then I'm not going to take the time to cater to laziness.

I'm now unsubscribing to this thread. If anyone feels the need to PM me about something that HASN'T been answered here then I'll help with what I can. If you have a chrysler VIN number I can currently still find out if the recall is done or not. But if it's just another question from someone too lazy to do a few more point and clicks then don't expect too much pointing and clicking on my part.
Thanks,
Doug

My understanding is that they replace the parts with the part numbers in the recall. They don't care what's on there now. So if let's say you had a 97 tranny in there, they would still give you a t-case that fits a 90, and the gearing/splines won't match. If you have the original tranny and a matching t-case, you should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back