The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Transfer case choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
So a few of you may know im going auto this season. Ive been buying every 1g auto thing i can find as the stuff is becoming harder to find. I purchased this online , im planning on upgrading it with a brace and 300m shaft. I was told its a 92 1g auto case.....Ive read u want the half aluminum with the cast iron case? The seller tells me it came off of a car with 77k.

Attachments

• DD9BFEF0-D240-4EBD-BFA2-21B68AA6C685.jpeg
    DD9BFEF0-D240-4EBD-BFA2-21B68AA6C685.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 303
When Mitsubishi did the transfer case warranty on bad cases in 1990's, they replaced the aluminum headed units with steel headed versions, 22 spline. I have 2. In 91 they went to 23 spline. The brace will work with ANY iron head case but not the aluminum head models. I talked to Andrew about it and he didn't realize the aluminum units were out there and only designed his brace for the iron head units with the reinforcement bars in the center section. :thumb:

When Mitsubishi did the transfer case warranty on bad cases in 1990's, they replaced the aluminum headed units with steel headed versions, 22 spline. I have 2. In 91 they went to 23 spline. The brace will work with ANY iron head case but not the aluminum head models. I talked to Andrew about it and he didn't realize the aluminum units were out there and only designed his brace for the iron head units with the reinforcement bars in the center section. :thumb:
I concur. I received a warranty unit on my 90 and they installed an iron head 22 spline unit.

Here are the different cases, at least what I have. You need the 3rd one, as it has the tall center mount for automatics.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think you have the correct one, I just couldn't see the top mount.

For weight reduction!!!! :D

The aluminum is lighter, though, if that's what you're after :)
No, Im a little crazy. Im buying everything auto i can find in anticipation for destruction. I have 6 transfer cases but 3 are manual. I have two 4 bolt lsd rear ends. One auto... one manual. Cant seem to find any more auto 4 bolts. I couldnt pass up the case. Only 77k.... looks almost new.

The stuff is getting really hard for me to find here in the Mid-West as far as auto cars. Get what you can for the new build, it's gonna be a fun, fun car! :thumb:

The original transfer case pictured in post #1 is usable with the Frontline Fab tcase brace. only thing you would need to check is if it is a 22-spline or 23-spline input sleeve, but that should be a 23-spline based on the late model mid housing that is on it.

Thanks for the fast reply jdxnc. Wondering if the boostin performance transfer case build will work on a 1G transfer case? it says you need a 25 spline driveshaft yoke. Does DSS make this for a 1G?

Thanks for any info

Thanks for the fast reply jdxnc. Wondering if the boostin performance transfer case build will work on a 1G transfer case? it says you need a 25 spline driveshaft yoke. Does DSS make this for a 1G?

Thanks for any info

The key part of a built t-case is the larger 25 spline output shaft, which does require the larger yolk. Your best bet is to replace the first section of drive shaft at the same time with one with the larger yoke. DSS does have that for sure. They also might have an adaptor to put the larger yoke on a stock drive shaft as well, not sure on that one. Talk to Boostin' and see what your options are. They did a top notch job on my t-case and communication was great.

FWIW here's my '92 manual t-case:

I took it in for the '98 recall and they said that after inspecting it, it looked fine and didn't need the new yoke or any other work. It hasn't caused any issues since.

It was off the car recently so I could rebuild the trans (both are back on the car and tomorrow I finish putting everything together and trying it out).

Even though it was fine I figured what the hell let's clean it up and paint it. I even painted the sleeve that goes on the end but hadn't reinstalled it yet when I took this.

The trans is actually a '94 as the dealer replaced it with one when I took it in for warranty repair due to issues with the original '92 trans, but they're 100% compatible along with the yoke and prop shaft in terms of spline teeth, mounting, etc.

great thanks for the info. I think I will have to contact DSS to see if they offer the 3" driveshaft with the 25 spline yolk. Boostin shows the 1G/2G 3" shaft for $839. All I need is something to hold around 500HP not 900HP like the 3.5" shaft is rated for @ $981
Unless someone out there already has the shep transfer case 25 spline and a 3" DSS driveshaft for 1G???

Thanks

Also wanted to ask; anyone that uses a DSS driveshaft on a 1G experiences a vibrations or wobbling? ( the DSS driveshaft that replaces the first two sections, not a complete one piece)

thank you

I took it in for the '98 recall and they said that after inspecting it, it looked fine and didn't need the new yoke or any other work. It hasn't caused any issues since.

It was off the car recently so I could rebuild the trans (both are back on the car and tomorrow I finish putting everything together and trying it out).

Even though it was fine I figured what the hell let's clean it up and paint it. I even painted the sleeve that goes on the end but hadn't reinstalled it yet when I took this.

The trans is actually a '94 as the dealer replaced it with one when I took it in for warranty repair due to issues with the original '92 trans, but they're 100% compatible along with the yoke and prop shaft in terms of spline teeth, mounting, etc.
What was the issues with the 92 trans? And when did you take it in? recently? Im habing issues with my 92 trans right now

What was the issues with the 92 trans? And when did you take it in? recently? Im habing issues with my 92 trans right now
Not the trans, but the t-case, and this was back in 1998. There was a leak by the output in some units. I took it in and they said mine was fine. I recently verified this when I took it off to drop my trans for a rebuild.

And the issue with my trans was popping out of 1st and grinding when shifting into other gears occasionally. Turned out to be slightly worn 1st gear dog teeth which I ground to take off the rounding, trashed synchros which I replaced (1-4 although 3-4 were still serviceable but I figured might as well), and a 1-2 hub/sleeve whose dog teeth were badly worn, especially the sleeve, so I replaced both.

I also replaced the 1-4 keys and springs, since I had everything apart, and both intermediate shaft and the outer input shaft bearings. Also a lock ring and all but 1 shim, and some bolts and gaskets/washers. All standard stuff. My best guess is that these were ruined due to the infamous 1G clutch pedal slop issue, which caused the clutch to no fully disengage, leading to teeth grinding and premature clutch wear.

What issues are you having with your trans?

Last edited:
For 500hp you have no need for a 300m 25 spline shaft modified transfer case. If you are popping tcases on launches with only 500hp snapping the tail shaft, then soften up your launch. Typically I see tcase shaft failures around the upper 9 second quarter mile range. The tcases usually break the gears around the upper 8 second range or quicker.

As for the DSS driveshaft, you specifically need to use the 3.5" driveshaft with 25 spline slip yoke. You can get away with the stock cast Spicer yoke for 9 second passes before it twists. Past that you really want the Sonnax custom forged slip yoke that can handle anything you want to throw at it to 7.0's @218+. All of my seven second customers have this slip yoke.

Again, 500hp doesn't warrant a driveshaft or 300m shaft modified transfer case unless yours already failed or you are planning on higher power levels.

Im going to interject. All the yokes recalled are fine as far as operation goes. The reason tjey were recalled is they leak. Look at your exhaust.
Is there a stripe on it? If so you need to replace that yoke soon. Sadly the recall kits are gone. They were cheap but not anymore.
Even if its not leaking i would plan for a replacement and always keep an eye on it. I check it at every oil change. Im right there anyway.
I was involved with the tcase recall and the nhtsa so i know the problem intimately.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back