The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Transfer case assistance/guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryRyan

Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2013
Millstadt, Illinois
Howdy all, I am trying to assemble a project I picked up a few months back and the car came with this transfer case (below). Clearly its dirty as heck but I'm honestly not exactly sure what I'm looking at here or what needs to be done. I was told the transfer case was good but needed some sort of bearing pressed in/out? I'm pretty good with my hands and I'm willing to dig in and try and rebuild this thing but I'm also a person whos willing to admit when a job is above my paygrade. Is this something I need to have a shop fix/do? What the heck am I even asking them to do? Is this something a transmission shop would know? I'm seriously just clueless as to what's missing/needed or what my next steps are here. Any and I mean ANY help here would be appreciated. Please :pray:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Okay, using the part numbers you sent I was able to do some research (https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/transfer-case-after-market-and-oem-bearing-part-numbers.510228/) and get more information. These are bearings I need to have pressed on, would it serve me well to dig into the transfer case and replace the other bearings while I'm doing this or just do the one? The inside of the transfer case has a ton of debris, I assume this is similar to the internals of an engine/transmission in that it needs to be clean and lubed to properly work so I assume I should most likely disassemble this thing, clean, do the bearings and put it back together. Anything else or while I'm in there things to do?

Fully dis assemble it, clean everything well. Check each piece for damage. Replace any damaged pieces. Have a shop press the bearings in. Re assemble it yourself. Re clean it. Fill it. Use it.
Maybe paint it before you use it.

Awesome! Sounds like I got a plan in place. Although looking for these bearings in the image is proving to be difficult as ExtremePSI or RTM both do not carry them. May need to call the dealer and see if they have them. Would like to stay OEM but last resort may be to see if the local auto parts stores carry an aftermarket solution.

Sealed bearings are bearing in my opinion. I cant help much on being sure you get the right ones. I would not be to worried if the ones you find are not OEM exact replacements.

After doing a bit of research on bearings and costs to have shops press them in, time investment I’m actually considering sending the transfer over to Jacks and paying the 6/700$ to have them do the full service. Definitely not cheap but I’ll know it’s done right and ready to go for the next 200k.

I would say that if its the ONLY thing on your car you need fixed right now. Sure. That is a lot of money to fix a lot of small issues. You have 80% of fixing it on your own done. You will have to pay a shop to press the bearing no matter what. The rest there is no reason you cant do yourself. If all the parts are chewed up and its completely screwed maybe consider picking up a used one and having the new bearing put in it. If the car is mint condition and your only issue is the case, well send it in :D

Awesome! Sounds like I got a plan in place. Although looking for these bearings in the image is proving to be difficult as ExtremePSI or RTM both do not carry them. May need to call the dealer and see if they have them. Would like to stay OEM but last resort may be to see if the local auto parts stores carry an aftermarket solution.
For future reference the numbers in that diagram are not part numbers.

For future reference the numbers in that diagram are not part numbers.

Yes, I believe those numbers are for the CAPs program used at the dealer. My reference to part numbers was based on the thread I listed that showed the part numbers according the the numbers in the image. But thanks for the heads up 😀

@MidLifeCriTSIs I think your right. I took a bit more time to cross reference the parts numbers for all the bearings and I think I’ll just try and tackle this job myself. Here’s to finding a shop that will be willing to press these on for me. But I appreciate the help. And btw none of those scenarios fit this situation as this is a recent project I picked up and I’m just trying to get it back on the road before doing a restoration. And she isn’t mint by any means.

Awesome man, I was able to get my local Napa to press in some bearing for me for SUPER cheap. They usually do this on farm stuff in my area but I went in and talked to them and I think I payed 20 $ for 2 bearings pressed in. A local "race" shop or Auto shop may want to charge you more "for there time"

Glad I could help guide ya and good luck on the car man feel free to reach out anytime :)

Honestly have never been inside of a Napa...maybe this will be my excuse to go in and see if they will do this job 🤷‍♂️

And I may take you up on that depending on how this job goes. Should be fun LOL

For anyone in the future wanting to do this I’ll post part numbers. You don’t actually need a press, in fact I have a press and didn’t use it. Instead I stuck parts in the freezer and the oven on low temps (200) and they will slide right on. For getting them off heat helps, I had to cut diagonals on some of the races and whack it with a chisel or get behind them, just don’t booger up your gears. Once you have it together make sure preloads are good, the driven gear calls for 1.3 ft lbs I believe and the drive gear 1.5-1.8. Here are pet numbers you can get easily from autozone:

And for a fun trick if you don’t have a massive and very long socket to get the big nut off put a pipe wrench on the spline(make sure it’s tight) and use another pipe wrench on the nut. When installing torque it down until your preload reads the correct resistance. I actually duct taped a socket to the shafts so that I could put a torque wrench to them and read the preload. Good luck! Parts were less than $150

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back