The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Trans parts hash mark IDs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
There doesn't seem to be any difinitive threads on this that I could find. That being said I need a little help.
I've torn apart my 2g (unknown origin) trans and something seems odd. I also have a 91 gvr4 trans on the bench. Here is where it gets weird.
The gvr4 center diff has the 2 tab spacer underneath the bottom gear. I don't remember but I thought this was a 90 only center diff. It has no hash marks. If that is the case the outer case gear will only mesh with a 90 or 91 3rd gear. It does have the larger intermediate shaft so it isn't a 90 intermediate shaft. The 2g trans has a center diff with the single tab spacer and no hash marks. Here is where it gets interesting. Just for fun I tried to mesh it with the gvr4 trans and it meshes with 3rd gear no problem. The 2g has to be using 92 up stuff because the 3rd gear on it is a 93 up larger synchro style. What confuses me is how is that possible with the gvr4 is using a double tab center diff?

I was hoping this thread also turns into a "what do the hash marks represent" thread because I can't find any old posts on it and we need one solid reference to put in the resource pages. Any comments?

Oh I suspect he will chime in. I've done enough trans work over the years I was really surprised when I found this. Only thing is I don't have the original trans in this car. I do have my original 97 trans that is original to the car I could disassmeble and make comparisons. I full expected the gvr4 diff to conflict with my third gear but it didn't. Years ago I also did a frankenstein 90. I wanted a gvr4 first and double synchro 2nd but I didn't want to change my center diff. So I used a 91 intermediate to match with all the 90 stuff but give me the larger 1/2 splines to accomidate a double cone hub and sleeve and synchro and the gvr4 1st and a fresh 2nd gear of course.

Photos of all of the gears, shafts and center diff gear and the lower pinion oil washer grooves so I can identify please.

Was this a JDM gearset or a USDM gearset? Transmission case identification codes as well?

The first two pics are out of my 2g. It isn't original to the car. It had 2ga final drive in it when I got it and it's a NPZT stamp. I've since put a 2gb final drive in it and I drove on it for a few years before I yanked it and it's getting an evo3 first and fresh synchros.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These next three are the galant. There is no stamp on the trans at all. No vin. No trans model. Smooth ID plate. It is a 91 gvr4. I thought it was original to the car but I guess not. The car was original and unmodded with the last owner.

Notice neither diff case has any hash marks. Pardon the crud they've been sitting on the bench for a little bit. I'm just now getting around to cleanup and reassembly.

What am I looking at here? The gvr4 diff case suggests a 90 to me but given it meshes with a 2g (92 up) intermediate it can't be. I would guess my 2g could have some hodge podge in it but given the 3rd gear has a larger synchro and it's a 2 piece synchro 2nd it can't be a 90 or a 91 intermediate shaft correct?

I think both could be late 90 early 91. In reference to above, I've had many 90 transmissions that have the big dia intermediate shaft. It's early 90's that have the small shaft.

We really need pictures of the rest of the gears.

I understand but what confuses me is the large diameter synchro 3rd and 4th gear. Those won't match a 90 91 intermediate.

Unless I'm wrong the larger diameter 3/4 is only on 93 up cars and from 92 up the involute of the gears is different also at least on 3rd. I never checked 4th. It has the wider shift fork groove sleeve of the 93 up cars also.

Well you have an early 89-90 style center diff and a 90-91.5 center diff there. I have seen a couple weirdos over the years but please show me your 3rd and 4th gears and profiles along with the intermediate shafts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back